Windows 10: Win Key Not working

Discus and support Win Key Not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday, I noticed the Windows key no longer works. It's the same whether I press the Win Key on the keyboard or I select it with my Mouse. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lturn9, Jun 17, 2017.

1. lturn9 Win User

Win Key Not working

Yesterday, I noticed the Windows key no longer works. It's the same whether I press the Win Key on the keyboard or I select it with my Mouse. When I click it nothing seems to happen. If I Right Click it, the menu for the control Panel opens. Recently I had the laptop in for warranty service - the AC adapter plug was not connecting properly.
    All the other keys are working.

:)

lturn9, Jun 17, 2017

2. Snap suddenly not working with win-key + arrow key

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community.

From the description provided, I understand that the keyboard shortcuts for the Windows Snap feature to resize windows does not work.

If system restore is enabled on your computer, I would suggest you to try restoring your PC to a previous date that you're sure the feature was working properly.

If the above suggestion did not help, I would suggest you to
    check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Also please be informed, the November update for Windows 10 has already been rolled out which you can install using Windows update as "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3)" which is an approximate of a 3GB feed over the existing Windows 10 installation.

This update will play a major role in incorporating new features with the Windows Snap. This update in particular might help you in this issue to fix any performance issues, if you have any.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to usa dn we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 17, 2017
  3. Snap suddenly not working with win-key + arrow key

So snap has suddenly stopped working with win-key + arrow key, it still works when dragging the window to the edge/top of the screen using the mouse. The keys still work individually (arrow keys still scroll in web pages and win key still opens start menu)
    but no in combo. I've checked in the settings and control panel and snap is enabled (also when I snap by dragging with the mouse the snap suggestions do not pop up like they used to even though the setting is again enabled.

It just stopped working about ten minutes ago and it's already infuriating since I'm at uni and often need multiple windows open.

Thanks for your help.

Matthew Wigmore, Jun 17, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Win Key Not working

Need more information in your post if this is a laptop, Tablet or desktop. If you have tried removing the hardware from Device Manager and let Windows install it. The Windows key can be redefined in keyboard properties, so always check.

bro67, Jun 18, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Suggests a possible hardware problem created by people opening up your laptop.

Try this:
    Keyboard Tester
    or this:
    Test, Check If All Keyboard Keys are Working or Some Dont Work

Note your specs say your laptop uses Win 8.1. There is a different forum supporting Windows 8 - eightforums.

dalchina, Jun 18, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    What you are describing is unusual as one is hardware and the other is software.

Let's work on the software for a rule in / rule out:

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

1) winver (view the about windows pop up and post the windows version and build into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

5) net user test /add

5) shutdown /r

When the computer reboots sign on with the new user named test.
    Please report into the thread the results of each: scannow, restorehealth, chkdsk /scan, and the ability to use the windows key with the mouse and keyboard.

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win Key Not working

1. Win Key Not working - Similar Threads - Key working

2. Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...: i just changed my CPU and my bitlocker recovery key is not working. Impossible to get someone from MS support... what could be next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-my-cpu-and-the-bitlocker-recovery-key-is/a8bec5af-7f77-453b-852f-dceac34ecc30
  3. Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed my CPU and the Bitlocker recovery key is not working...: i just changed my CPU and my bitlocker recovery key is not working. Impossible to get someone from MS support... what could be next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-my-cpu-and-the-bitlocker-recovery-key-is/a8bec5af-7f77-453b-852f-dceac34ecc30
  4. Windows key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows key not working: Hello, my Problem is that my Windows key simply stopped working, I can do Win+c as well as Win+v and other key combinations but if I press the win key alone, this side gets out where you can select a game or any other file this doesn't happen anymore if anyone of you knows...
  5. Windows key not working

Windows key not working: Hello, my Problem is that my Windows key simply stopped working, I can do Win+c as well as Win+v and other key combinations but if I press the win key alone, this side gets out where you can select a game or any other file this doesn't happen anymore if anyone of you knows...
  6. Designer Keyboard 7678 certain keys are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Designer Keyboard 7678 certain keys are not working: I have a couple of weird things going on with this keyboard. 1 It won't connect to my personal laptop, a Lenovo. It provides a code to pair with, but after entering it says the code is wrong. I've tried this multiple times.2 It will pair with my work laptop, but a selection...
  7. Designer Keyboard 7678 certain keys are not working

Designer Keyboard 7678 certain keys are not working: I have a couple of weird things going on with this keyboard. 1 It won't connect to my personal laptop, a Lenovo. It provides a code to pair with, but after entering it says the code is wrong. I've tried this multiple times.2 It will pair with my work laptop, but a selection...
  8. Designer Keyboard 7678 certain keys are not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Windows Key + Left/Right Arrow not moving windows, Up and down arrow working fine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Key + Left/Right Arrow not moving windows, Up and down arrow working fine: Hi,Recently I noticed in Windows 11 that the Windows Key Left/Right Arrow keys are not moving the active window left or right like they used to. Windows Key Up/Down Arrows work as they should.== Doesn't work ==Windows Key Left - move active window left, to left most...
  10. Windows Key + Left/Right Arrow not moving windows, Up and down arrow working fine

Windows Key + Left/Right Arrow not moving windows, Up and down arrow working fine: Hi,Recently I noticed in Windows 11 that the Windows Key Left/Right Arrow keys are not moving the active window left or right like they used to. Windows Key Up/Down Arrows work as they should.== Doesn't work ==Windows Key Left - move active window left, to left most...