Windows 10: Win PE Boot disk query - Bios/Efi and Bitness

Discus and support Win PE Boot disk query - Bios/Efi and Bitness in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I want to create Win PE boot disks for restoring Macrium Reflect images, but have never used Win PE ADK I have an X64 EFI system, and need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by spilly, Aug 17, 2017.

1. spilly Win User

Win PE Boot disk query - Bios/Efi and Bitness

I want to create Win PE boot disks for restoring Macrium Reflect images, but have never used Win PE ADK

I have an X64 EFI system, and need to recover ANY of the variations (using other peoples' systems)x64 EFI
    x64 BIOS
    x86 BIOS AND, maybe,
    x86 EFISee my post Foolproof Image Backup for the reason for all the variants

1) How many boot disks do I need?
    2) Can I easily create all the variants on my x64 EFI system? (Guidance appreciated)
    3) Or is ToDo EasUS with its Linux boot recovery not a better option for max portability?

Or Should I post this on a Macrium forum?
    If so, please say

:)

spilly, Aug 17, 2017

2. Windows Installation

This error message is displayed when attempting to install Windows on a computer and the EFI Boot Sources setting is enabled in the BIOS:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The Selected disk has an MBR Partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT.

The resolution to this issue depends on the the hard disk volume size:

Follow these steps if the hard disk volume size is less than 2.19 TB:

Temporarily disable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS:

Restart the computer, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS.

Navigate to Storage > Boot Order, and then disable the EFI Boot Sources.

Select File > Save Changes > Exit.

Install the Windows operating system.

Enable the EFI Boot Sources setting in the BIOS:

Restart the computer, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS.

Navigate to Storage > Boot Order, and then enable the EFI Boot Sources.

Select File > Save Changes > Exit.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 17, 2017
  3. Win 10 won't boot after "update"

Thank you for the help. I finally fixed it myself by using the Boot-Repair Disk, a Linux bootable disk.

I did not rry your first suggestion: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi , But it looks like it would not be appropriate for me because it is for a 64-bit version of Windows on an EFI machine, and I have 32-bit Windows on an BIOS machine.
    I did try the bootrec options several times without success. I also tried renaming and then rebuilding the BCD without success, but these steps might have been important to helping Boot-Repair Disk to finally succeed.

prestonpdx, Aug 17, 2017
  4. spilly Win User

Apologies for a poor quality post
    Basically now solved after a little experience of the product

spilly, Aug 23, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    I am pretty sure if you create a 32bit macrium rescue drive, it will work on 32/64 and bios/uefi. Creating a 32bit is a bit of a faff on a 64bit pc - easiest way is to install 32bit windows in a vm, and create macrium rescue iso inside VM.

cereberus, Aug 23, 2017
  6. spilly Win User
    I'm trying to maintain a number of other people's systems, some 32 bit, some 64
    The clients are definitely not tech savvy - most are pensioners.
    So whatever I set up on their systems, it should be easy to run and it also should to keep to the rules, in case someone else is doing system maintenance work, not me
    I think I will have to borrow a 32 bit system to create a 32 bit rescue CD
    I plan to clone that rescue CD for each 32 bit system and to clone my 64 bit CD for the rest
    Plus I will keep a copy of both myself

PS I do this in return for donations to a local charity

spilly, Aug 23, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    As I said, a 32bit version should work on a 64bit - testing it now.

Actually a really good thing to do is install Macrium Reflect Free on each device, and create a boot menu entry. Then you only need the usb flash drive or dvd if hard drive fails, or C drive or boot files get mangled. Most of the time, you will not even need the CD, and also, you can be certain it has all the right drivers (rare but now and then you have to customise the Rescue drive with specific drivers.

Another issue is sometimes on older pcs, bios is not 100% compatible with latest Winpe 10 adk files and the screen resolution defaults to 640x480 and you cannot click on all the buttons. To get round this, you have to recreate the rescue iso using an earlier set of winpe adk files e.g. winpe 5 or even earlier. On my laptop, I had to go back to winpe 4. Only sure fire way of knowing is trial and error.

Of course, you could create rescue drives of each.

Win PE Boot disk query - Bios/Efi and Bitness [​IMG]

Win PE Boot disk query - Bios/Efi and Bitness [​IMG]

cereberus, Aug 23, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Almost certainly only one.

You don't need separate USB for EFI/BIOS - just format it FAT32 and make it active and it will boot on either.

It doesn't matter if the host is running 32 or 64 bit Windows - only if the CPU will run the PE image. 100% of CPUs will boot 32 bit and only 99% will run 64 bit. You would be extremely unlucky to find a 32 bit processor these days but it is possible I guess.

The advantage of 32 bit is the image is smaller so it takes less time to load into RAM from the USB. I always go for 32 bit for that reason but 99% of the time a 64 bit image would work - just it would load a bit slower.

The only reason I can think of to use 64 bit is if you wanted to add programs or drivers to your PE image that only existed in 64 bit version.

9. cereberus Win User
    I agree re. 32bit, but may still need more than one as not all bioses on older pcs are fully compatible with Macrium Reflect Winpe built with Winpe 10 adk files.

cereberus, Aug 23, 2017
  10. spilly Win User
    Code: I agree re. 32bit, but may still need more than one as not all bioses on older pcs are fully compatible with Macrium Reflect Winpe built with Winpe 10 adk files.[/quote] I''ll have to do an inventory of hardware on at least 9 systems, of which 5 or 6 are 5 - 9 years old (and STILL going... I was going to say "strong", but let's leave it at "still going." I made 'em all Win 10, so at least I have only one OS to cope with when trying to help.

spilly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win PE Boot disk query - Bios/Efi and Bitness - Similar Threads - Boot disk query

2. Is Kyhi's rescue disk the same as Win-PE SE?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Kyhi's rescue disk the same as Win-PE SE?: As the title says. Sorry for the noob question here but I am at the bottom of the learning curve here. If they are different, what is the use case for each? 169788
  3. Boot query

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot query: Hi. Trust in right forum. Help required. I've just upgraded a friends Desktop PC Dell E5430 by replacing 500 GB HDD with 1 TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD. Limited problems doing this. On boot I get what can only be described as an EasyBCD boot screen - I have this program on...
  4. Macrium and Win Pe

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and Win Pe: Hello,Recently updated "Macrium Reflect" program to latest version 7.2.4440. After the update I made a new rescue cd, Had first to press on "Rebuild Pe". After cd was done, I ran it to check it, it is OK. However I wonder why on the upper row of the rescue screen is written...
  5. Macrium and Win Pe

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium and Win Pe: Hello,Recently updated "Macrium Reflect" program to latest version 7.2.4440. After the update I made a new rescue cd, Had first to press on "Rebuild Pe". After cd was done, I ran it to check it, it is OK. However I wonder why on the upper row of the rescue screen is written...
  6. Disk management query

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk management query: I have spotted an unallocated partition in Disk Management. Is this a problem? How do I get rid of it if necessary? [img] 137022
  7. Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk: Hello, I've read alot online about all of the scenarios for bitlocker and using Windows 10 with TPM 2.0. I've read things that said bitlocker encryption is not possible if it's a Win 10 box with TPM 2.0 bios in Legacy mode. It must be UEFI/EFI to work. Is this correct?...
  8. Disk Management Query

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Management Query: For clarity, even if you delete the 300 MB partition, it is very difficult to reclaim that space as partition managers cannot move the 128MB MSR partition. In fact, in Windows 10 clean installs, that partition is only 16 MB. You can however delete it and recreate it using...
  9. fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios: after i put a friends laptop hd in my computer and fixed his. i have a strange little 99MB fat32 efi volume\partition on the OS disk. and i never saw it before. and i have 2 boot loaders in bios. wont boot without one of them being selected. is it supposed to be there? can...
  10. Disk Boot Failure, Attempting to restore EFI partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Boot Failure, Attempting to restore EFI partition: Had a power loss and while I have my workstation on a battery backup I on impulse just killed the power to my PC instead of doing a proper shutdown. I had just completed a steam game installation at this point (Mafia III, not sure if this is relevant though). Long story...