Windows 10: Win Pre-Environment (boot) CHKDSK -- can it be aborted safely?

Discus and support Win Pre-Environment (boot) CHKDSK -- can it be aborted safely? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Back story is that I'd run into a problem when trying to clone my aging HDD to my new SSD. Apparently there were some bad sectors in an initially... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cytherian, Jul 20, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

Win Pre-Environment (boot) CHKDSK -- can it be aborted safely?

Back story is that I'd run into a problem when trying to clone my aging HDD to my new SSD. Apparently there were some bad sectors in an initially non-critical area so Windows didn't trip over it (I could run Windows 10 with no problems). But for some reason, the cloning programs weren't intelligent enough to skip the bad sectors and provide a report--they just fail. I first tried Samsung's Data Migration tool, which kept failing at various progress points (usually early on) by suddenly restarting the computer (no warning). I then tried 3 other 3rd party tools, all failed to some degree but at least the system wasn't abruptly restarted.

Trying to fix this sent me down a rabbit hole... as things got progressively worse, to the point where I couldn't boot into the desk top any longer. FINALLY, after discovering the SeaTools FIX utility for repairing bad sectors (took a few cycles due to LBA limitations), I was able to fix the drive enough so that it would boot.

All generalized tests showed healthy partitions. The bad sector issue looked to be isolated to some data segments. I ran "chkdsk /f" and that went to completion. But when I did a scan of the drive using the internal checker from the Explorer tools menu, the Event Viewer suggested running CHKDSK again.

I ran "chkdsk /f /r /x". I realized later that "/f" is redundant, as the "/r" switch covers that.

Now 3 hours later, CHKDSK is still running at 12%. Not budging. I've read some people suggesting to let it complete, that the progress reporting routine is not showing what's really going on, while others saying CHKDSK is probably stuck. I need to travel now and want to take the computer with me. Can I abort the CHKDSK somehow? Keyboard entry of CTRL+C doesn't do anything.

:)

cytherian, Jul 20, 2018
  2. cytherian Win User

Thanks for the explanation about the decreasing rate with the spinner -- makes perfect sense now. Win Pre-Environment (boot) CHKDSK -- can it be aborted safely? :)
    By the way that Health tab was blank. I presumed it was because it's the shareware version (not Pro). I could run the benchmark test, error scan (fast and long), but INFO and HEALTH were both blank. Also, I could not get it to display temperature.

I am wondering if this is because it was not mounted directly to the motherboard, but instead in a USB 3.0 slot.

cytherian, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Clintlgm Win User

I don't think you can safely abort Chkdsk and I wouldn't that notebook on any trip without resolving the hard drive issue and having your SSD up and running. Chkdsk on a failing hard drive is good enough to salvage your data and usually long enough to create a Disk Image with Macruim Reflect Free you can then restore the image to your SSD.

Once Spinners start failing they continue failing faster and faster

Clintlgm, Oct 16, 2018
  4. Clintlgm Win User

What did this tab look like on this hard drive
    Win Pre-Environment (boot) CHKDSK -- can it be aborted safely? [​IMG]
    Not sure any Spinner can reach 300mbs good ones are more like 150mbs maybe starting out at 190mbs and tapering down as the head works its way to the outside of the platers. Older SSD will get into the 300mbs newer one SATA will get up to 500mbs and M.2 SSD 3000mbs the latest Samsung 970 Pro are advertising 5000mbs. Spinners will always slow down as the head works it way out to the outer part of the platers that is normal.

Clintlgm, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Win Pre-Environment (boot) CHKDSK -- can it be aborted safely? - Similar Threads - Pre Environment boot

2. Video issues in pre-boot environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video issues in pre-boot environment: Hi all, I'm having some video issues in the pre-boot environment video of issue. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and have had the issue mostly since then. I have a distorted/black screen in the pre-boot environment, but once I type in my Bitlocker password blindly, things...
  3. Video issues in pre-boot environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video issues in pre-boot environment: Hi all, I'm having some video issues in the pre-boot environment video of issue. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and have had the issue mostly since then. I have a distorted/black screen in the pre-boot environment, but once I type in my Bitlocker password blindly, things...
  4. Is it safe to interrupt CHKDSK?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to interrupt CHKDSK?: Hi,I decided to check both my external HDDs before going to bed last night. Now, after 8+ hours, there is still no progress and both drives are very hot 45°C and 46°C.Is it safe to interrupt the process at this stage?...
  5. Is it safe to interrupt CHKDSK?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to interrupt CHKDSK?: Hi,I decided to check both my external HDDs before going to bed last night. Now, after 8+ hours, there is still no progress and both drives are very hot 45°C and 46°C.Is it safe to interrupt the process at this stage?...
  6. "chkdsk /scan" is aborting due to self-healing command failure: 0xc0000102

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "chkdsk /scan" is aborting due to self-healing command failure: 0xc0000102: Might not be relevant information but it's how I got here: It started with having an issue with File History. File History can no longer see my external hard drive. For reasons, I decided to stop file history and start it over fresh. But when I did that file history could no...
  7. Booting to recovery environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting to recovery environment: Please tell how to boot to recovery environment to solve trouble shoot error in windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-to-recovery-environment/da240ec1-b957-44db-88b1-dd365e20bfe2
  8. Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.: I get this error message when I try to fix a hard drive that have not accessible problem with CHKDSK Command anyone have a solution C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk H: /F The type of file system is NTFS. Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file...
  9. Is rebooting during chkdsk safe?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is rebooting during chkdsk safe?: Around 9PM EDT, I started running chkdsk /r on Windows 10. It's been over 2.5 hours and it's stuck at 11%. I am going to sleep around 1:30 to 2AM. Is it safe to reboot if chkdsk is still running? 92673
  10. Boot into safe mode in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot into safe mode in Win 10?: Is there a way to boot into Win 10 in a safe mode? The reason I ask is I am having trouble in normal mode trying to get rid of my win.old file. It will let me delete some of it but not all. So maybe in safe mode I can delete it all or am I missing something here? TIA...