Windows 10: Win Restore.. Lost all User/(me) Data - HEEELP!

Discus and support Win Restore.. Lost all User/(me) Data - HEEELP! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, Relevant info briefing: "This" PC is referring to a Dell XPS 9550, running Dell OEM Win 10 "Dinosaur" PC, is an old Overheating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by coldengrey, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Win Restore.. Lost all User/(me) Data - HEEELP!

Greetings,

Relevant info briefing:
    "This" PC is referring to a Dell XPS 9550, running Dell OEM Win 10
    "Dinosaur" PC, is an old Overheating monstrosity Dell Inspiron 1520, running Win 7 Pro

Hi. I recently installed some tools for reflashing my Android device (Google Dev Tools - but an unknown user, to me, had contributed a program to avoid installing entire SDK Development and simply the "ADB & Fast Boot" set of components)... I installed and ran the ADB/Fastboot, ect...

When finished, not sure about exactly what this person may or maynot have thrown in as malicious, I decided to Restore Win 10 to an earlier restore point...

--> Upon Restoring, I got a dialog message informing restore failed (missing Q something.. not quick enough to document message).././ Went to my desktop and restore (failed restore) caused my personal user/jason data to disappear... Least Locally on this machine...

I did, however, log onto me old dinosaur Win 7 PC, granted full local network privileges...
    Old Win 7 machine DID, somehow, still see my user/jason data (what dissapeared on this newer win 10 Dell XPS).... So I immediately backed up to my NAS MyCloud Drive....

Now, on XPS (win 10 new machine, I cannot even launch Firefox because it says user files missing)....

-> Only an uneducated tidbit to, help you help me; if nothing to do with - pay no mind....
    #1: absolutely no way of telling if the ADB/Fastboot even had anything to do with failed restore - it was merely what I wanted to rid all traces of, initiating desire to restore to previous state.

BUT, Prior to launching the ADB/Fastboot, I had read, on a forum post about Win 10 Anniversary Update users having trouble with it....

[Part that MAY or MAY NOT assist in helping me
    Here's what (unconfirmed) info a user noted about running the files I DID (and did not heed):

"Please DO NOT INSTALL this on a Windows 10 Machine. Unfortunately, Windows 10 Anniversary update truncates PATH Values that are more than 1024 characters (Research on PATH Environment Variables for more information.
    I have found a manual way for getting adb and fastboot working on cmd (without the need to browse to the particular folder) for Windows 10. Right Click This PC -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables (Advanced Tab) Double Click on PATH First copy the complete Value Field as a backup. Don't mess this up. Next, at the very end after the semicolon, type the location of your adb and fastboot folder. IN our case C:\adb Save. Profit.Go into device manager. Plug phone into PC on download mode. Whatever your device is now listed as. Right click and update driver.. Choose browse my computer for driver software, let me pick from a list, then connect to Android. Apply and reboot. Unplug device and reinsert back in and it should install fastboot drivers now."

Can anyone assist or advise how/why I would have had a Win 10 restore point restoration FAIL, then lose all User/Jason Data???

Grateful and I am,
    Jason

:)

coldengrey, Apr 2, 2017

2. user missing after latest win10 updates

After todays update of win10, lost one of the user where all the data was stored. Kindly suggest how to restore the user or recover the data..

AarvyGoyal, Apr 2, 2017
  3. nokia 6085 freezing sms with random frequence!!

heeelp me please!

loranz---01, Apr 2, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

Win Restore.. Lost all User/(me) Data - HEEELP!

If all that happened is those sections were deleted, I'm hoping such would be in the Recycle Bin; understand I'm a Windows 7 user - I might be wrongly assuming things about Windows 10; if those sections had their pointers removed from MFT, then data recovery might be difficult. I'm going to listen in and learn from others in the know here.

RolandJS, Apr 2, 2017
  5. No, unfortunately, user/jason user files not in recycle bin....
    I'm not sure why restoration failed either?

coldengrey, Apr 3, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Hi. Not sure about this, but if you look in your C drive, do you have a Windows.old folder? You might need to show hidden files to see it. If so, your user data may be nested in there.
    If not, I guess what I would do is pull the drive out, connect it to the dinosaur, install MiniTool Power Data Recovery free version on the dinosaur, and run it on the XPS drive to see if you can find your stuff. If so, the free version will only recover 1GB total, so you'd have to buy it to get everything back. (Or, try a free one like Recuva.)

simrick, Apr 3, 2017
  7. Oh, I'm sorry - I know I had told you I'd let you know how it turned out...
    I'm waiting on a usb 3.0 portable hdd I ordered the day you replied... Gonna Image/BackUp the drive in case something goes really wrong....I'll let you know how it turns out!! Thanks for following up - you guys/gals are tremendous here!

After I get this sorted out - I think I'm going to partition C System, D Data, like on my Win 7 machine, for simple C system Imaging.
    This Dell XPS 9550 must have a ton of bloatware and Dell recovery partition.... My pcie 512GB ssd only has Windows, Updates, MS Office, yet only 275GB remain free!!!! May have to investigate doing a clean Win 10 install, free the recovery partitions and bloatware... Jeezus, almost $3500 laptop and I'll be pushing it once I install Adobe Creative Cloud *Sad
    But I digress...
    Will let you know if your advice worked - Amazon tracking is showing Thurs/Friday for delivery of usb hdd.

Thanks!

coldengrey, Apr 12, 2017
  8. simrick Win User

No problem. I was just following up on a few things and ran across your thread; was curious. *Smile

Good idea. That's how I have mine setup.

Yeah, first thing I do when setting up Dells for people is remove all the Dell bloatware. *Wink
    I've found MiniTool's Data recovery program to be excellent: it recovers files with original filenames and folder structure even in a deep scan, whereas I've found others will find files in a deep scan without original filenames or folder structure, which makes it difficult if you have a lot of data.
    Good luck!

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win Restore.. Lost all User/(me) Data - HEEELP! - Similar Threads - Restore Lost User

2. Lost all my Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost all my Data: Hi AllLast evening on 23.10.23, there was a new auto -Update for my surface laptop and after that it prompted me for Bit-Locker Recovery ID. Infact i bought my surface about 3-4 years back and moved to the UK. I dont have the Recovery ID and unfortunately i havent stored...
  3. Lost all my Data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost all my Data: Hi AllLast evening on 23.10.23, there was a new auto -Update for my surface laptop and after that it prompted me for Bit-Locker Recovery ID. Infact i bought my surface about 3-4 years back and moved to the UK. I dont have the Recovery ID and unfortunately i havent stored...
  4. Lost all my Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Restoring data lost with uninstalled programme

Restoring data lost with uninstalled programme: Hi there, due to some safety concerns I wanted to see if it was possible to recover using onedrive or so on to restore concent to do with uninstalled programmes mainly data relating to an opera uninstall, in which the delete personal data option was selected from February...
  6. All Data Lost

All Data Lost: I, like many others lost all my files and data during a Windows update. Even after spending money on file recovery software, I am still screwed. Why does microsoft not provide some type of progam to recover this data since their updates cause the issues?...
  7. lost all user data in windows 10 20h2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost all user data in windows 10 20h2: please some one help me to recover the user data for the windows 10 pc,i currently updated to 20h2 version ,it seems working good for some days but when i switched on my pc today i lost everything...
  8. Lost all my data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost all my data: Hi I had the issue of logging on my windows 10 account and i got the message saying "you've been signed out of the profile and logged on a temporary profile". I checked for solutions online and one was to edit registry and deleted temp user registry rename the one with...
  9. All data lost after WIN 10 update?

All data lost after WIN 10 update?: An hour before, my computer underwent an automatic update. After update, I could not login in. Then I re-boot and then I could log in. Unfortunately, I found all data in the Document lost. I browsed the computer files and found the data were in another “Document” so...
  10. Lost User Folder/Data

Lost User Folder/Data: Hi! Please pardon my total and complete ignorance! I noticed my user folder name was truncated or so I thought from Gaston to Gasto . I tried renaming it and ended up having to reload all my apps and links. that didn't work. I noticed it was truncated to "gasto" again...