Windows 10: Win to Win?

Discus and support Win to Win? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, I'm curious. My laptop has Windows 7 pro and my desktop has Windows 7 home. When it's time for this free upgrade, will Microsoft be making my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Traijan, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

Win to Win?

So, I'm curious.

My laptop has Windows 7 pro and my desktop has Windows 7 home.

When it's time for this free upgrade, will Microsoft be making my laptop go from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro or will it stick me down to Win 10 home?

:)

Traijan, Jun 1, 2015

2. History says I already have Windows 8.1 Update (KB 2919355) installed; yet Win Update Keeps Prompting me to install it and when I try it won't.

Win to Win? [​IMG]

The important update to get Win 10 and to secure the "Upgrade Reservation for it" for 8.1 is to install KB 2919355 according to everything I've read about "making a reservation" or getting the Win 10 icon in the notification area.

This question covers the upgrade reservation whose icon I have not been able to secure even though I installed KB 2919355 over two months ago, and it keeps telling me I need to install it. That doesn't surprise me; I have a whole collection of error messages,
    etc. from Redmond MSFT that make no sense over the last 25 years. They happen.

Windows Update says ***that update*** was installed successfully back in May of 2015.

And yes I have genuine Windows on this box and all my boxes.

Further when I have tried to use the Insider Program to update this 8.1 PC to a Windows 10 build, I get bounced and the error message (thank you Redmond MSFT for this as well) says you cannot run Windows 8.1 on this PC--it says nothing about Windows 10
    which is lazy and sloppy on the part of a company I respect--MSFT.

I beg to differ with MSFT's message to me since I have been running Windows 8 for about 3 years whenever the Beta was available on this very PC, and the day 8.1 was available I was able to upgrade to it on this PC with no problem whatsoever.

If there is a MSFT engineer willing to take a swing at these questions meaningfully, I'd appreciate it since they are participating on these threads.

Windows Update still says I need to install it and of course this is contradictory but I've been watching error messages from MSFT that make no sense frequently for 25 years.

So why is this happening? How often does Windows Update tell you that you need a major update that is critical to reserve a new OS when it tells you at the same time in Update history that you already have it?

Also if you have been updating via the Windows Insider program (on another PC--a tablet) and you are running Build 10166 are you supposed to have that icon? Or will you automatically be given the opportunity to install Windows 10 RTM on the big day July
    29? Should you have an icon showing in order to get it? And will it be available by the upgrade channel or via a .iso.

My experience remains that as long as you have 7.5 GB of free space, you can always update to the next build. It never has required anywhere from 15-20GB that you often see people post here. Anything less and you'll waste a lot of time trying. But 7.5
    GB even though it is a slow process relative to what you'd expect in the era of Windows 10 and compatred with any other OS setups, you won't have a problem at all getting it in--you just have to be patient. I'm sure that if you have the fastest SSD in the
    world, that might speed things up.

Thanks for help and time in advance.

Win 8 to 10, Jun 1, 2015
  3. Windows Defender won't start, error 0X80070246: "An error has occurred in the program during initialization"

Yes, and I' ve done a lot more to try to fix this. I reinstalled at Recovery. I need an .iso for the latest build available and MSFT mistakenly witholds them for no good reason.

Win 8 to 10, Jun 1, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

Win to Win?

it should go pro for pro ,, your win7 will need to be fully updated to sp1,it likely is now.

caperjack, Jun 1, 2015
  5. z3r010 Win User
    Windows 7*

Windows 7 Starter Windows 10 Home Windows 7 Home Basic Windows 10 Home Windows 7 Home Premium Windows 10 Home Windows 7 Professional Windows 10 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8**

Windows Phone 8.1**** Windows 10 Mobile Windows 8.1*** Windows 10 Home Windows 8.1 Pro Windows 10 Pro Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Windows 10 Pro
    *Must be running the latest version of Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

**Must be running the latest version of Windows 8 (Windows 8.1 Update) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.
    *** Also applies to Windows 8.1 country specific editions, Windows 8.1 Single Language, Windows 8.1 with Bing.
    ****The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier.
    “N” and “KN” editions follow the upgrade path of the parent edition (e.g., Windows 7 Professional N upgrades to Windows 10 Pro).
    Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer.

Windows 10 FAQ Tips - Microsoft

z3r010, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win to Win?