Windows 10: Win update “Notify to schedule restart" missing after recent update?

Discus and support Win update “Notify to schedule restart" missing after recent update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Before the recent update, in windows update “Advanced Options” screen, I selected “Notify to schedule restart” so my PC will not restart by itself... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by comcom, Sep 25, 2016.

1. comcom Win User

Win update “Notify to schedule restart" missing after recent update?

Before the recent update, in windows update “Advanced Options” screen, I selected “Notify to schedule restart” so my PC will not restart by itself after an update, as mentioned in this article How to Schedule Restarts for Updates in Windows 10

Yesterday after windows update, “Notify to schedule restart” is missing (see screenshot below). Now the PC will restart automatically after a Windows update. I have unsaved documents lost when it restarted by itself yesterday.

How to get back the “Notify to schedule restart” option? I only want to manually restart my PC after an update. Thanks

Win update “Notify to schedule restart" missing after recent update? [​IMG]

:)

comcom, Sep 25, 2016

2. Updates install without any warning in Windows 10

I do not get "notify to schedule restart" as an option after "Choose how updates are installed in" Advanced Options. I get a general heading "updates from more than one source" with instructions on how to get updates from other computers on network. My computer
    is restarting at the MOST inconvenient times. I am running Win 10 Anniversary Edition I believe.

LAVERNEKORNACKI, Sep 25, 2016
  3. Random warningless updates

Go to Settings>Update & security>Windows Update> Advanced options> choose " notify to schedule restart" in first option

prashant chaturvedi, Sep 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, how do you get it back? It's changed slightly. You need to go back one from that screen, click restart options.

Note there is also now a 12 hour max 'active hours' period you can specify which stops restarts in that period.

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  5. comcom Win User
    I cannot set anything in my restart options, everything is greyed out, why? (I have clicked on the toggle "off" and it does not turn it on)

By the way, I prefer to restart manually instead of setting a time. I usually leave my PC turned on forever and only lockscreen when I am not using it.

comcom, Sep 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member

It's self explanatory. Please read carefully, noting the condition specified.

The 'Active hours' setting is the one you can change any time. The above is supplementary to that. That's why.

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  7. comcom Win User
    Does it mean that after new updates are downloaded and ready to install, the restart options will pop up? Only at that time the restart options will be ungreyed?

What happens if I am not around to schedule the restart? I mean sometimes I am not around my PC for long hours.

comcom, Sep 25, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

See Active hours in Settings. It will not restart during the active hours period.

The setting you are worried about is used, as it says, to override active hours settings. I.e. it is supplementary - an additional feature- not the main one.

Found from a search for
    How does "windows 10" "active hours" work

How to configure Active Hours to avoid Windows 10 sudden restarts during updates | Windows Central
    How to use Windows 10's Active Hours to prevent surprise update installs | PCWorld
    A closer look at Active Hours in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News
    Windows 10 | Exercise control over when your system restarts for updates | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows
    Windows Update Active Hours - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  9. comcom Win User
    Windows Update Active Hours could only be set for 12 hours, I set it from 8AM to 8PM. There is no way to stop it restarting manually.
    When I was not at the PC (PC was turned on, nobody is using it) yesterday after 8PM, the PC restarted by itself and I lost some unsaved data. Very sad.

How can I restart my PC manually?

I am using Windows 10 Home 64-bit Operating System, x64

I was thinking what happens to people working overtime on their Windows 10 PC, they might go to the toilet or have a dinner and come back to see all their work that was done halfway disappeared due to Windows 10 auto restart.

comcom, Oct 2, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, options vary from stopping Windows update in various ways and hence allowing or doing updates manually - with all the complication related to that - to setting it to notify you.

If you use a tiny utility (free) called 'Don't Sleep' - or similar- you can block restarts. I can't say I've definitively seen this work, as my experience, unexpectedly, without any special modifications, is that I am notified of a restart- even outside Active hours. I've never had an unexpected restart- even when the update download completed after the A Hour period, or completed during it and was pending after it.

You may also like to have a look at this:
    Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks

Well-behaved programs like Office or Thunderbird save (or can be set to save) data periodically while you're typing or working on it, minimising potential loss. But of course there are other situations..

dalchina, Oct 2, 2016
  11. comcom Win User
    When you use 'Don't Sleep', do you still need to set active hours in windows update settings?

Why do you say "I can't say I've definitively seen this work", it seems to work well for you since you mention that you did not have any unexpected restart.

comcom, Oct 7, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    To answer both questions I've not been able to do a definitive test to determine if Don't Sleep definitely blocks restarts. Think- how would you test that? How often is there a restart required? I've not always had it running, and still not had an unexpected restart. Once when it was running with a pending restart set during Active hours and I closed Don't sleep, I still didn't experience an automatic restart.

It is however a reasonable presumption that a program that does block these things may have the desired effect, unless MS update restarts somehow override the block. So worth trying given MS's peculiar approach here.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2016
  13. comcom Win User

comcom, Oct 8, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    You use a search engine. Better not to use CNET sometimes as they package things in their own installer with 'extras'.

MajorGeeks is reputable.

Home here:
    Download

dalchina, Oct 8, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    Agreed it is very sad.

It is very sad that you have not learnt the two golden rules of computing.

Golden Rule 1) Always save data frequently and especially if leaving pc unattended.

Golden Rule 2) If there is any doubt about saving, refer back to Golden Rule 1).

Blaming the OS for bad practice is silly. You can get a power cut at any time for example.

cereberus, Oct 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Win update “Notify to schedule restart" missing after recent update? - Similar Threads - update “Notify schedule

2. Photo folder missing after recent update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo folder missing after recent update: Photo folder is missing after recent update. Only one folder is missing but I want to know if/how I can get it back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-folder-missing-after-recent-update/1f94a37a-205d-4636-9bd6-4db966c638cf
  3. Automatic restart scheduled for important updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic restart scheduled for important updates: A red window appeared on my screen today, saying “Automatic restart scheduled for important updates.” It goes on to say that I need to restart now to get a newer version of Windows 10, because my present version is nearing the end of service. But this window totally locks my...
  4. win update restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win update restart: My Desktop pc has updated the new MS edge but update still wants to restart pc. I have done this several times and update still wants to restart for update 2020-05 Microsoft Edge Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems KB4559309. it won't go away. Philip...
  5. Automatic Restarts After Recent Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatic Restarts After Recent Updates: Since the updates (apparently released or at least installed yesterday evening 8PM PA time), my computer automatically restarts once every hour or so. What is strange is that this only occurs if I am watching a particular Streaming Service (Disney Plus) on Chrome. I thought...
  6. Photos app missing after recent update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app missing after recent update: Split from this thread. ms photo is missing after recent update. now cannot reinstall from ms store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-missing-after-recent-update/03e4aaaf-15da-4409-a72b-a4c230e46e2e
  7. Notify to Schedule Restart - Time

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Notify to Schedule Restart - Time: I'm currently deciding whether to upgrade to Windows 10 or not from Windows 8.1. The main thing that will prevent me from upgrading is whether I can regain some form of control over automatic restarts after automatic windows updates. I understand from doing some research...
  8. Notify to schedule restart

Notify to schedule restart: How do I set "Notify to schedule restart"? I used to have my W10IP set to this, but now I can't find it anywhere in the useless "phone GUI" Settings screen. Has MS removed this from W10? 70107
  9. Notify for Scheduled Restart setting?

Notify for Scheduled Restart setting?: I did some testing on my Win 10 box and I had selected to Notify for Scheduled Restart when updates are completed installing. I had set my own preference schedule, for example 18:45 today (which was in fact yesterday). Anyways, I ran the Check for Updates and when the...
  10. Unable to schedule restart after Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to schedule restart after Windows Updates: Hello everybody, I encounter a weird issue concerning the way that Windows 10 handles the restart process after the installation of windows updates. Computer OS is Windows 10 Pro x64 and is joined in a domain with group policy assigned. In the user logon I have created a...