Windows 10: win+X menu: nothing starts/runs/executes

Discus and support win+X menu: nothing starts/runs/executes in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; when i press win+X, there is popup menu when i click menu items just nothing happens, be it PowerShell, Programs and features or something other.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by zloidooraque, Aug 6, 2015.

1. win+X menu: nothing starts/runs/executes

when i press win+X, there is popup menu
    when i click menu items just nothing happens, be it PowerShell, Programs and features or something other.

just Search, Desktop and Shut Down works.

the menu is pretty nice tho, i could use some functions from there with pleasure!

:)

zloidooraque, Aug 6, 2015
  2. zldrq Win User

win+X menu: nothing starts/runs/executes

xas you may notice, no thing can be ran from win+x menu, so item 1 will not work. besides, there is no "command prompt", just powershell

but i know how to run cmd in admin mode

by the way, cmd.exe says dism cannot be ran from 32 bit shell, so i ran it from elevated PowerShell

i did everything you suggested and restarted pc, but no effect (btw, there /scannow is incorrectly spelled: there is third n in scannow)

utilities say everything is ok and no errors were found

FYI

i've founw WinX menu folder in my user dir

c:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\

and also in

c:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\

as a try, i've deleted it in my user dir and copied from Default's and restarted explorer.exe but no effect

when i just delete everythig from winX dir and press win+x it is correctly don't display any menu and when i populate this directory back, menu is displayed, but, as it was befor, no items work when clicked

when i run shortcuts from c:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\, corresponding utilities are started and work.

i've used procmon to see what happens when i try to run something from win+x menu (programs and features in this case. when i directly run "c:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3\10 - Programs and Features.lnk" it opens correctly)

i doubt this info is any good, but anyway

win+X menu: nothing starts/runs/executes [​IMG]

zldrq, Aug 6, 2015
  3. zldrq Win User

when i press win+X, there is popup menu

when i click menu items, popup disappears and nothing else happens. nothing runs, no windows opened no matter what i select: be it PowerShell, Programs and Features or anything else.

just Search, Desktop and Shut Down works.

the menu is pretty nice tho, i could use some functions from there with pleasure.

zldrq, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

1. win+X menu: nothing starts/runs/executes - Similar Threads - win+X menu nothing

2. Terminal in Win+X menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Terminal in Win+X menu: Is there a valid, not garantue vouching way to get Terminal in the Win+X menu on Windows 10? As Windows 11 seems to be a bit over the top for a Lenovo L13 Yoga I just installed W10 on it only to realize that my favourite app "Terminal" is not sitting where I had it in WIn11...
  3. Terminal in Win+X menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Terminal in Win+X menu: Is there a valid, not garantue vouching way to get Terminal in the Win+X menu on Windows 10? As Windows 11 seems to be a bit over the top for a Lenovo L13 Yoga I just installed W10 on it only to realize that my favourite app "Terminal" is not sitting where I had it in WIn11...
  4. Terminal in Win+X menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. start menu and run window on primary display, win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu and run window on primary display, win 11: Can I force windows 11 to open start menu, search window or run window cmd+R to appear on active display rather than on primary display when connected multiple screens?...
  6. Older Executable -- how to move to Start Menu

Older Executable -- how to move to Start Menu: I came across an older executable that seems to run fine on WinX so I'd like to put it onto the Start Menu but I can't figure out how to do that. Can you help? 10.0.19042 176677
  7. Right-click "Run as Administrator" in start menu, nothing happens

Right-click "Run as Administrator" in start menu, nothing happens: Hello folks I have been struggling with this issue for a while now, but it seems that right-clicking something in the start menu to run as administrator is not working, as absolutely nothing happens. I can launch things such as command prompt with no admin permissions just...
  8. Clicking Start Menu does nothing.

Clicking Start Menu does nothing.: Suddenly I discovered that clicking on my start menu does not work anymore. Even clicking and typing into the search does nothing, so I tried to run the "Troubleshooting" wizard, and it did not find anything. I then tried to check to see if I was missing updates on the...
  9. Start Menu X

Start Menu X: Does anyone know how to remove windows apps from main program menu ie Cortana say..unlike Clasic Shell ( which i still have on my other pc )..you can just hightlight the application and simply delete it from program list...just keep the main applications you regularly...?...
  10. Links in the user's start menu are not executed

in Windows 10 Support
    Links in the user's start menu are not executed: Hi there, The title says it all: The two links in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are not executed at startup as they should be. But I have no issue navigating to the folder and 2-clicking on each link. TIA 82246