Windows 10: win10.0.122 and privacy

Discus and support win10.0.122 and privacy in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As Microsoft moves to a different revenue model, you should pay attention to privacy of data on your devices. What Microsoft's New CEO Means for Its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slartybart, May 21, 2015.

1. win10.0.122 and privacy

As Microsoft moves to a different revenue model, you should pay attention to privacy of data on your devices.

What Microsoft's New CEO Means for Its Ads Business | Digital - Advertising Age
    Microsoft Tells Agencies What They Must Do to Win Its Coveted Global Account | Adweek
    Now, the Microsoft evangelists will tell you that there is nothing to be concerned about and you're just being paranoid. Ok ... that's their opinion. You only have to read the news reports about large retailers being hacked and customer data being stolen to question that position. Placing your data on the cloud, no matter how secure it is claimed to be, is a decision you must consider carefully. Allowing apps to have access to your data is also something that should not be taken lightly.

The choice is yours to make, and the benefits of accessing your data from different devices is clear.

Data on the cloud or allowing an app to access your data is not what prompted me to write this thread however.

When I installed Win10.0.122, I chose a local account by not being connected to the Internet (the only way to force creation of a local account, other than exploiting broken code in creating an MS account)

I also chose to custom install and not use the Express settings. This choice makes you go through some initial settings and select whether they are turned on or turned off.

The Privacy choices is what caught my attention. Most are run-of-the-mill choices, but the very first choice stood out as a red flag. This might simply be poor wording on the selection, or it might reflect what is commonly referred to as "Opt-in marketing", where you give explicit rights to use the information you provide to market stuff to you. If it is the latter, then you should NOT opt-in.

The question as written asks if you want to allow Microsoft access to full details of your contacts and calendars. Note that it does not say Apps or Cortana ... it says Microsoft. To allay the folks who will say "But Microsoft won't sell your data - they have too much to risk as a company" I can only say Read the agreements. Microsoft won't sell your data, but they will share it with partners - how many partners does MS have? Thousands.

There is no guaranteed security, any company can be hacked. And while MS is a reputable company, there are recent instances where some breaches of ethics occurred.

Articles:
    • Microsoft's updated privacy policy makes it clear it's not selling ads against your words | PCWorld
    • Microsoft tightens privacy policy after admitting to reading journalist's emails | Technology | The Guardian
    • Microsoft revises privacy policy in wake of Hotmail search case - CNET
    • Report: Microsoft Is Shifting Its Marketing Strategy From Product-Specific Ads To Broader Consumer-Oriented Campaigns
    • http://www.crn.com/news/cloud/300074...st-layoffs.htm

Microsoft legal stuff:
    The correlation is akin to signing up for that FREE cruise - you provide your name address and telephone number ... but you also agree to letting that data be used elsewhere.

There is nothing implied by this post, business is business.
    You simply should be aware of the terms.

:)

Slartybart, May 21, 2015
  2. zelozelos Win User

Minecraft windows 10 edition and privacy and online settings

slight correction, we can play together i guess via lan i dont know how, but we cannot chat

zelozelos, May 21, 2015
  3. Minecraft windows 10 edition and privacy and online settings

Glad to hear things are running smoothly. If anything else comes up, we're
    here to further assist you.

Jomari Arc, May 21, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

win10.0.122 and privacy

You make this big giant rant, and then neglect to actually mention the actual setting you disagree with, other than vaguely in passing...

Regardless, it's really this simple. Either you trust them, or you don't. If you don't, throw away anything Microsoft and go live in Linux or Apple land. Because otherwise, it doesn't matter... if you use *ANY* Microsoft product, service, OS, whatever, they have your information and if they wanted to sell it or give it to someone, they could... So it makes absolutely no sense to quibble about a setting that may or may not say something because its all irrelevant... It all comes down to "Do you trust them enough to not sell or give away your information?" And if the answer is no, then the only question is "Can you live with that?" If the answer is still no, then you know what to do.

I've used this analogy before, and I think it's quite fitting. It's pointless to worry about whether your babysitter can be trusted with your credit card. You're trusting them with your child! If you don't trust them, you shouldn't be trusting them with the baby in the first place.

Mystere, May 21, 2015
  5. I just figger the least amount of personal info I give to MS, or any large corporation, the better off I am.
    So I always set up every Beta Test version of Windows with a personal and NOT MS account, and with an alias.

If someone is not used to protecting their arse when on the internet, then they probably should not be on the internet.
    Is that simple enough to understand?
    Sort of like,,,, don't walk through the worse part of town at midnight unless you're carrying a very large gun!

When I'm on the net with a PC, that PC is running two full time scanners and another three on-demand scanners.
    I also use an "Anti Key Logger" program.
    Paranoid? No, because I already know they are out to get me. rofl
    Paranoia is the fear of something that doesn't exist.

Happy Memorial Day, Y'all!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, May 22, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto*Ditto

7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .are you really all that important. . .

8. win10.0.122 and privacy

You have entirely mischaracterized the post. It is not a rant and it is not anti Microsoft. It is about opt-in marketing to allow any company, in this case Microsoft, to use your personal data. Legally, they need your explicit consent - that setting gives MS the legal cover.

The actual setting is the one you incorrectly characterize as 'vaguely in passing" - it is the only setting I referenced - how can that be vague? Since you had difficulty discerning the setting, I'll post a copy of what I wrote here:
    The question as written asks if you want to allow Microsoft access to full details of your contacts and calendars

It is really simple - either you understand or you don't understand. If you don't understand, then please don't give out such poor advice as Either you trust them, or you don't. If you don't, throw away anything Microsoft and go live in Linux or Apple land. Because otherwise, it doesn't matter... if you use *ANY* Microsoft product, service, OS, whatever, they have your information and if they wanted to sell it or give it to someone, they could.

It is not a matter of trust or distrust - you are so far off base. It's a matter of being aware of a change and aware of the implications of agreeing without knowing. As far as your suggestion to throw away anything Microsoft and go live in Linux or Apple land ... how condescending you are. I'd like to tell you where to go, but the forum rules prohibit me from doing so.

Microsoft does not have any information I have not explicitly provided, that's the difference and it DOES matter - more importantly it is the point of the post. By agreeing to the setting, you are explicitly providing Microsoft with the information in your calendars and contacts. I have never ever provided my family's, friend's, client's, contact information to Microsoft before nor have I given them any details about when or where we meet, dates of birth, or vacation plans.

I guess you just don't get it and don't want to discuss the issue - you only want to
    ... I'm not sure what you want to do, but you've done it on many threads.

That's all I can say.

Slartybart, May 22, 2015
  9. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Privacy. . .if you are so worried about folks finding out who you are, where you live, what kind of Jello you like then you need to totally disconnect from the internet and from the world. . . .*really

10. I don't like Jello *Wink

Slartybart, May 22, 2015
  11. Gary Win User
    With windows 10 there is no privacy using the default settings.

12. Cliff S New Member
    After reading this thread I went to Gizmodo to check see what's there. And what did I find as the latest listing?
    Americans Value Privacy But Don't Trust Tech Companies To Provide It

Cliff S, May 22, 2015
  13. Tony K Win User

win10.0.122 and privacy

@ Slartybart

I understand your concern and appreciate your post with all the information, however, I must say you went into a rather large dissertation on the subject with what I consider not following linear thought some of the time. Found it somewhat difficult at times to follow, although I did get through it. *Wink

There's a lot of references/links you posted that I'm afraid I wouldn't have time to read in one sitting, although I've read a lot of them already having been using MS devices, OSs, and services for quite some time. Agree that one should be aware of what they're agreeing to as with any company, especially the "fine" print.

May I ask if where the question is placed? I think it is a "sub" question within a the category of "Opt-in marketing" option? This was all within setting up a local account during installation?

"Thousands of partners"? Finding that difficult to believe. Would you please give reference to this statement?

Yes, as per one of your article links explaining that MS employees made a mistake without using the proper channels to do so reading someone's email with suspicion that the person was passing on source code. MS addressed the issue and tightened it's policy. If I remember correctly, ultimately an employee got fired over passing on the code.

A few more questions. Do you use ATMs? Bank online? Use a browser (which is obvious)? Heard of the "walled garden" system MS and other companies have introduced? Do you think that approach is safer?

Bottom line in all this > If I'm not doing anything illegal then I don't have to worry. Also, I will give some companies I trust some explicit rights, however, any government I will not.

In ending, I answer no to the particular question you referred to. I don't care about the emails, but I feel to be ethical about it I would have to ask all my contacts if it's ok to pass on their info. About 150 of them. Don't have that kind of time.

Tony K, May 22, 2015
  14. Based on your last sentence, I think you do understand the implications. Thanks.

Sure it was thrown together and not meant to be a dissertation professor. It's a thread, not a tutorial. *Wink

Most people don't read that stuff - it's legalese - talk about hard to follow!

The question is asked during the install, as I said in the original post.
    MS employees made a mistake - that's a nice way of putting it. But the chief counsel defended the action and if you read the articles further, you might have seen a few legal reposnses
    This doesn't seem to be a case of a few bad apples.

I do not use ATMs, I do bank online
    These are not related to the post. Again, the point is do I allow MS access to full details of my contacts and calendars.
    I'm not sure how the walled garden applies either.

The safest approach is to NOT opt-in - simply move the slider to off. As I said, and I think I was very fair to MS, the choice is yours.

Bottom line in all this > If I'm not doing anything illegal then I don't have to worry.
    That's the wrong bottom line as your closing sentence clarifies the entire point. But I always get a kick out it when people bring it up.
    You see the same people who write the criminal laws write the agreements - lawyers!
    Did you know that it is illegal to spit on the sidewalk in certain states? Have you ever spat on a sidewalk? I have.
    Oh hell, now I've done it ... I've admitted to being a criminal .... on the Internet - the black helicopters are circling *Wink

but I feel to be ethical about it I would have to ask all my contacts if it's ok to pass on their info. About 150 of them

MS partners - see Google results. Wiki: The Microsoft Partner Ecosystem consists of the 640,000 partners

I think I've addressed the things you asked about, hope this helps.

Slartybart, May 22, 2015
  15. dencal Win User
    I have a Microsoft Account and if I forgot my password it would be impossible to open my account without first contacting M$ and quoting previously saved personal information which was made when opening the account.

As far as I am concerned that makes sense regarding security.
    What have M$ to gain with this info?...zilch....yet this same info safeguards my account.

Privacy don't make me laugh, cameras sited everywhere, doctors, births, tax, employment records etc,
    and should you live in America lunatics running around with guns.

dencal, May 22, 2015
Thema:

win10.0.122 and privacy

1. win10.0.122 and privacy - Similar Threads - win10 122 privacy

2. Hello i am getting BSOD randomly Bugcheck code 122 239 59 292 and 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello i am getting BSOD randomly Bugcheck code 122 239 59 292 and 0: the OS restarts normally and everything works fine but it happens like once every 2-3 days i run sfc scan and it shows no problem i happens once in a while and restarts on its own without any problem but as it is BSOD stays like a second and disappears for event viewer i want...
  3. Hello i am getting BSOD randomly Bugcheck code 122 239 59 292 and 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hello i am getting BSOD randomly Bugcheck code 122 239 59 292 and 0: the OS restarts normally and everything works fine but it happens like once every 2-3 days i run sfc scan and it shows no problem i happens once in a while and restarts on its own without any problem but as it is BSOD stays like a second and disappears for event viewer i want...
  4. BugcheckCode 122

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BugcheckCode 122: My server 2012 R2 rebooted itself.I found a critical error in events: BugcheckCode 122.Why did it happen ?Full text of the error:System - Provider [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4} EventID 41 Version 3 Level 1 Task 63...
  5. BugcheckCode 122

BugcheckCode 122: My server 2012 R2 rebooted itself.I found a critical error in events: BugcheckCode 122.Why did it happen ?Full text of the error:System - Provider [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4} EventID 41 Version 3 Level 1 Task 63...
  6. symstore erroring out with error code 122.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    symstore erroring out with error code 122.: Running the command give variety of error outputs :SYMSTORE ERROR: Class: Internal. Desc: Unable to create full path name for "...."The pathlength for the folder exceeds 260 characters. WHich might be the reason symstore is throwing error message but what does error code 122...
  7. symstore erroring out with error code 122.

symstore erroring out with error code 122.: Running the command give variety of error outputs :SYMSTORE ERROR: Class: Internal. Desc: Unable to create full path name for "...."The pathlength for the folder exceeds 260 characters. WHich might be the reason symstore is throwing error message but what does error code 122...
  8. Getting Error 122 while installing chrome

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting Error 122 while installing chrome: I tried re-installing google chrome because of version out-of date shown but I am getting error 122. I uninstalled it through Windows Add/Remove programs. When installing I got "the installer encountered error 122". I went to regedit and uninstalled Google directory and...
  9. what is best for privacy, enable telemtry with it set to 0 or just disable it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what is best for privacy, enable telemtry with it set to 0 or just disable it?: i have an annyoing "some of these settings are hidden or managed by your organization" message in my settings. i googled how to remove it and came across a site that said i should enable telemtry and set it to 3. it didn't work, however im not sure what to set it back too, i...
  10. Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy: I'm reluctantly starting the process of upgrading from Win7 to Win10, and I have a few concerns. How does Windows 10 Home edition currently handle installing updates? What are the recommended tools/techniques for enhancing privacy? Most of the information I've found online...