Windows 10: Win10 and UEFI Setup questions

Discus and support Win10 and UEFI Setup questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just 2 quick question in regards to Windows 10 and UEFI settings. I have pretty much a good idea by now, but still have some questions here. 1. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by win10freak, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Win10 and UEFI Setup questions

Just 2 quick question in regards to Windows 10 and UEFI settings.
    I have pretty much a good idea by now, but still have some questions here.

1. In the UEFI settings, how can I change my Internal HDD to boot first?
    I have Windows Boot Manager set as first boot option then my internal HDD.
    Does this still mean that even though the first boot option is shown as Windows Boot Manager, will BitLocker still assume that my internal HDD boots as the first boot device?
    I am asking this, because I ran into some issues and read, that one of the requirements for BitLocker is to have the first boot option set to boot from the internal HDD.

2. What if my HDD dies and I need to insert a new HDD on my notebook, do I need to disable Secure Boot mode first or changing to a new hard drive will not have any issues with Secure Boot?
    So in other words, will Secure Boot have issues if I change any hardware like hard drives?

:)

win10freak, Jun 11, 2016
  2. MikeEPK Win User

Windows 10 AU clean install UEFI vs Legacy

Another UEFI vs Legacy mode question. I currently have my Win10 OS on a 120gb SSD. It is currently MBR as stated above. My MB is Asus z87-pro which support UEFI. I am planning to do a clean install of the AU from a DVD and will install this time in UEFI.
    I read that once go through the installation process I can delete the existing partitions on the SSD and when clicking Next Win10 will create, reformat the SSD in GPT and install Win10 in UEFI mode.

My question is that I also have an WD 2tb hard drive installed with some applications and data that is MBR. Will that present any issues as far as Win10 reading that drive now that I installed in UEFI mode or does it just care that the drive the OS is on
    is GPT? Probably a stupid question, but want to make sure before I do the install in UEFI. Thanks.

MikeEPK, Jun 11, 2016
  3. MikeKeen4444, Jun 11, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Win10 and UEFI Setup questions

UEFI settings is not universal. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, from board to board, from revision to revision. So the direct answer to your question is not very possible withut knowing what exact board you have.
    But, if you look at the Boot Menu, the Windows Boot manager should have a bracket beside it, and the bracket should contain a disk address. That disk is your boot disk, should be the first HDD.
    So you boot from the first disk actually.

If you replace the first HDD with a new one, perform a clean windows installation on that one, virtually nothing will change.

Secure Boot protects the pre-OS environment of the computer, it protects the UEFI bootloader from any possible malware/rootkit etc. It the bootlaoder is altered by a malware/rootkit, it will not remain signed-up by microsoft; and the computer will not be allowed to boot.
    Apparently it should not have any issue with replacing the HDD.

Anyway, it would be better if you shared the core issue with us .... probably some of our members may have a better solution of it than the online articles.

5. 1. I think your setting is correct, because it looks for any device with the Windows Boot Manager on it, which would be your hard drive. If you replace the drive, it will look for a bootable disc or USB drive to start the install.

2. As for Secure Boot, it seems to be more trouble than it is worth. I disable it on my systems. May not be the best step for you. Do you have a specific need for it to be enabled?

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win10 and UEFI Setup questions

1. Win10 and UEFI Setup questions - Similar Threads - Win10 UEFI Setup

2. Win11 setup question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 setup question: I will be setting uo a number of Win11 computers with the same settings and accounts. Is there a way to automate it ?Ideally I would setup one computer, save those settings to a USB, and use the USB for setting up the other computers.Thanks......
  3. UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Question: I use Windows 10, i installed windows with UEFI, i need to install an os alongside windows, will windows 10 still boot after i change it from "UEFI" to "Legacy Support UEFI First"...
  4. Win10 UEFI Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 UEFI Fast Startup: Does having a UEFI-installed Windows have advantage/difference to Fast Startup compared to Legacy-installed ones? submitted by /u/DevMakPH [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gp3ubd/win10_uefi_fast_startup/
  5. Setup questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setup questions: Can i use mklink during windows install ? Should i use juction ? How should i use it in a batch file ? John https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setup-questions/a2587322-bb74-4f26-aa32-4f5a8c47e1bd
  6. UEFI Secure Boot questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  7. UEFI with CSM module Question

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with CSM module Question: Hi there Messing about with an old HP ProLiant GEN 10 Microserver. In the boot menu it's got for Boot mode Legacy only (which I assume is MBR mode) or UEFI only --but under legacy mode I have the option to enable CSM module --- on the boot info it says this enables UEFI for...
  8. BIOS / UEFI setup

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS / UEFI setup: Hi, I have several Dell E6410's here with latest Win 10 1803 update and A17 BIOS. All ok apart from one machine which the power light stays on at shutdown. This particular machine happens to be set up with the boot option set to UEFI whereas the others use Legacy. So I...
  9. UEFI drive question?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI drive question?: Hi All, Sorry but UEFI is all gobbledygook to me. I have 4 internal hard drives: 500Gb SSD (C Drive) 2 x internal 1TB SATA drives, and I've kept my old 250Gb SSD which used to have my operating system on, inside my computer for backups. I've disabled the 2 SATA drives,...
  10. General UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General UEFI Question: UEFI is a real pain in my butt. I've done extensive reading. I understand (I think) secure boot. I've successfully made a UEFI boot usb windows install disk. I know how to get to access UEFI interface through Windows 8/8.1/10. What I can't find an answer to is how to get to...