Windows 10: Win10 and win 7 question

Discus and support Win10 and win 7 question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just purchased a new computer with Win10 I can access my old win 7 drive using a external storage system (Eagle Corsus) Can I run win 7 and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roehrle, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Roehrle Win User

Win10 and win 7 question

I just purchased a new computer with Win10
    I can access my old win 7 drive using a external storage system (Eagle Corsus)
    Can I run win 7 and the programs I have on that drive from my new computer?
    I have Office 2003 on the old drive but I can't install Office 2003 on Win10.
    For some unknown reason Win10 keeps reporting that I entered a wrong Product Key when I know it worked on Win 7.
    My Office 2003 is a professional disk so it has no limit on the number of computers it will run on.

:)

Roehrle, Jul 7, 2016

2. Win 10 Pro Free Activation with Dual Boot Win 7 Pro

I have Win 7 Pro installed

I have installed Win10 Pro from ISO to separate partition

Dual boot is working fine

If I use my Win 7 Pro Activation Key to activate Win 10 Pro I have the following questions:

Will Win10 Activate for free?

Wil Win 7 continue to be usable?

Douglas DTAE, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Upgrading to Win 10 from win7 but question about use of Win7 key!

And my last question is, After upgrading to win10 if I have to reinstall whole windows again Can I put my Win 7 key for win 10 again? Or do I need to do something else?

Your windows 7 key will work to activate all 3 win 10 pc's you built.

TrevorStephen, Jul 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Win10 and win 7 question

If you can find Windows 7 drivers for the hardware in the new computer you can.

I would call Microsoft and see what is wrong with your Office 2003 product key.

NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Office 2003 is no longer allowed to be activated. Only 2007 to 2016/365 can be activated. Anything else that you are running on Windows 7 may or may not work. Only you will find out by trial and error.

bro67, Jul 8, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    You cannot run Widows from an External USB drive. You can however, run your programs from that drive as they still have access to the Windows Registry on the Windows 7 system.
    It is time to update Office, 2003 is 13 years ago.

spunk, Jul 8, 2016
  7. Roehrle Win User
    There isn't any question that Office 2003 will work on win10 because I had it working on my computer with win10. As to time to get a new Office , you must be a stock holder. There are scores of people who prefer Office 2003 to the new version. If you are interested I can give you a link where people talk about how they love their 2003 version of Office. To them it's the the best version of Office yet. To make more money MS keeps putting out new version with lots of stuff people don't need. I'll get 2003 to work some how because I know it can work.
    MS may stop supporting versions but the programs will still work.

Roehrle, Jul 8, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Win10 and win 7 question

People love old cars but they are still usually crap in performance and especially safety features compared to modern cars. Old versions of office have more security holes than swiss cheese.

In any case, first time you get some important work and sent some office files you cannot open, then you would have to upgrade.

I used have used Word since it initial release way back in time, and frankly old versions are not a patch on the modern versions. Even 2010 feels dated compared with 2016.

Some things are worth spending money on to upgrade - Office is definitely one of them.

You can always create a virtual hard drive or virtual machine with windows 7 just to run a really dated version of office.

If you only want to use the basic 2003 features, you would be better off instaling a free word clone like Libre Office which is guaranteed to work on Windows 10.

cereberus, Jul 8, 2016
  9. Roehrle Win User
    I recently D/led Open Office and it seems to read my programs but won't operate the macro's. I have used the lowest protection but they still won't work.

Roehrle, Jul 8, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Libre Office is better.

No idea what you are talking about in sentence above!

cereberus, Jul 8, 2016
  11. Roehrle Win User
    Sorry.. I should have written Macro's , not micro's

Roehrle, Jul 8, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    Ah - sorry I should have realised. Cannot help.

cereberus, Jul 8, 2016
  13. Berton Win User

Win10 and win 7 question

I have Office 2000 Pro running on the Insider Preview version of Win10. I also have Office 2003 Pro running on an RTM version of Win10. Most Retail versions of Office state in their EULA that it can be installed on a Workstation and a Portable Device in control of the same person. From what I learned at Microsoft Seminars it's the Enterprise or Open License version that businesses use that can be installed on a number of computers. Microsoft Works 9 also is running on my Insider Preview computer. I like to use LibreOffice as it can open files from Works where that capability has been removed from OpenOffice since Version 4 and maybe in the later versions of 3.

Berton, Jul 8, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    It states that Open Office, Libre Office, any open source Office suite, even Google Doc's will not run the Macro's that are created in Office.

You have to adapt to using better and newer software than something that is ancient and unsupported.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win10 and win 7 question

1. Win10 and win 7 question - Similar Threads - Win10 question

2. Question regarding custom game install locations via XBox app on Win10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question regarding custom game install locations via XBox app on Win10.: I've installed Forza Horizon 5 to D:\XBoxGames on my system, however crash reports list the main exe as residing in a subdirectory off C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\.Hoping someone can please explain whether this is expected behaviour and if yes why it works this way vs...
  3. Question regarding custom game install locations via XBox app on Win10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question regarding custom game install locations via XBox app on Win10.: I've installed Forza Horizon 5 to D:\XBoxGames on my system, however crash reports list the main exe as residing in a subdirectory off C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\.Hoping someone can please explain whether this is expected behaviour and if yes why it works this way vs...
  4. Win10 upgrade questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 upgrade questions: I built my current computer back in 2013 to meet my requirements, not some conference table definition of a gaming system or a workstation or a grandma's system or whatever. My objective was that it would last for a long time and it has. Until the last Win10 update it was...
  5. Win10 upgrade questions

Win10 upgrade questions: I built my current computer back in 2013 to meet my requirements, not some conference table definition of a gaming system or a workstation or a grandma's system or whatever. My objective was that it would last for a long time and it has. Until the last Win10 update it was...
  6. Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions: I am working towards getting a new desktop, not a pre-fab from dell or HP no offense meant you two, but you're a bit stringent on hardware upgrades past the norm, but one I will either assemble myself cables and all, or using an offered service that will do it for me perhaps...
  7. Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions: I am working towards getting a new desktop, not a pre-fab from dell or HP no offense meant you two, but you're a bit stringent on hardware upgrades past the norm, but one I will either assemble myself cables and all, or using an offered service that will do it for me perhaps...
  8. Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions

9. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question: I have an old PC running Win7 that cannot be upgraded to 10 because of the BIOS not supporting Win10.I have purchased another PC with Win10 installed, so the new PC BIOS is Win10 compatible.I'd like to be able to avoid having to reinstall all the software that I have on my...
  10. Win10 Bootable USB installation question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Bootable USB installation question: A while back ago I created a Windows 10 USB Bootable stick using the Media Creation Tool. How can I find out which version and build number I have on my USB bootable stick? I am guessing it is 20H2, but I really prefer to double check it. Is there a command to check this...