Windows 10: Win10 apps stopped working

Discus and support Win10 apps stopped working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This happened a few days ago, maybe a week, the Win10 native apps stopped working. The image viewing app doesn't work, Mail doesn't work, Calendar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Alfred001, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Alfred001 Win User

Win10 apps stopped working

This happened a few days ago, maybe a week, the Win10 native apps stopped working. The image viewing app doesn't work, Mail doesn't work, Calendar doesn't work... I haven't checked the others yet, but I'm sure the answer is it don't work.

"There is a problem with mail. Please contact your administrator about repairing or reinstalling it"

When I click on start the Mail and Calendar icons have a little white exclamation mark in a circle in the lower right corner.

:)

Alfred001, Aug 28, 2017
  2. RJMmm Win User

Why do my live tile apps stop working on win10?

live tile apps stop working on win10 lost 2 apps so far.unistalled then reinstalled but the message said there installed already,very strange?

RJMmm, Aug 28, 2017
  3. surajRai2 Win User
    my win10 updates, printers, and some apps have stopped working, system gets hanged even my user accounts start bar is not working help me?

my win10 updates, printers, and some apps have stopped working, system gets hanged even my user accounts start bar is not working, system restore, defender all stopped........ help me? please

surajRai2, Aug 28, 2017
  4. Win10 apps stopped working

Hi Alfred001

First I would create a restore point and I recommend making an Image with a product like Macrium Reflect.

Always want a plan B.

This tutorial Reinstalls and Re-Registers all built in Apps

Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 29, 2017
  5. Alfred001 Win User
    It tells me I can't do that on account of Firewall is not running. I'm now trying to get started the service Base Filtering Engine (which I need to start in order to start Windows Firewall, because BFE is a dependancy for the Firewall), and it tells me Error 5: Access is Denied

Alfred001, Aug 31, 2017
  6. Indeed, store apps require Windows Firewall service. BFE is dependent on network services, try this:
    Code: reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpsSvc" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinHttpAutoProxySvc" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f sc config Dhcp start= auto sc config NlaSvc start= auto sc config nsi start= auto sc config Wcmsvc start= auto sc config Winmgmt start= auto sc config NcbService start= demand sc config Netman start= demand sc config netprofm start= demand sc config WlanSvc start= auto sc config WwanSvc start= demand[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Aug 31, 2017
  7. Alfred001 Win User
    I type that into command prompt? What does all that stuff do?

Alfred001, Sep 2, 2017
  8. Win10 apps stopped working

Yes run CMD as admin. It will reset network services to default.

TairikuOkami, Sep 2, 2017
  9. Alfred001 Win User
    I did it, but no change.

I still get the Error 5: Access is Denied when I try to manually start Base Filtering Engine

Alfred001, Sep 4, 2017
  10. I might suggest you perform the in place repair / upgrade.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Backup your personal data and I would further recommend creating an Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect. The process is not supposed to be harmful but you want a Plan B.

Caledon Ken, Sep 4, 2017
  11. Alfred001 Win User
    I'm trying to perform the repair/upgrade and the Media Creation Tool keeps getting stuck at 0% when it gets to "Downloading Windows 10." That's whether I tell it to upgrade this PC to windows or to create install media.

Anyone know why?

Alfred001, Sep 16, 2017
  12. TairikuOkami, Sep 16, 2017
  13. Alfred001 Win User

Well, I performed a repair and things have gotten even worse. Now when I click on start nothing happens and when I click on notifications nothing happens either.

Alfred001, Sep 16, 2017
  14. I would make an immediate back up of your personal data.

In posting two I had recommended you create an Image with a toll like Macrium Reflect. Given you followed the recommendation, after completing your backup you could try restoring.

First with the restore point I recommended and then with the Image you create with Macrium.

Personally after I had my data backup done I would do a clean install. Yes more work but a much better product coming out the other end. As part of that I would delete my existing OS' related partitions so it is truly clean.

Maybe a another member will have another suggestion.

Caledon Ken, Sep 17, 2017
  15. Alfred001 Win User
    I just did the repair a second time, but the outcome was the same. I still get no reaction if I click on start or cortana or notifications.

At this point I'm leaning towards what you suggested, formatting the win partiiton and doing a clean install.

There's two things I really need to save, tho:

1. my notes from that sticky notes app

2. Cortana reminders

Anyone know where those are saved? Might my Cortana reminders be linked to the hotmail account I sign into windows with?

Alfred001, Sep 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Win10 apps stopped working - Similar Threads - Win10 apps stopped

2. TubeCast app stopped working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    TubeCast app stopped working: I downloaded TubeCast from the Microsoft Store. It used to work well but I am currently facing an issue... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tubecast-app-stopped-working/433238f0-b21f-48bd-a4e5-e70cde8212c6
  3. default apps stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    default apps stopped working: After April update, default apps stopped working. How can I fix the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-apps-stopped-working/236e81ce-f0cd-48ce-9c12-c83a42310a63
  4. Fresh Win10 Install, backspace stops working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fresh Win10 Install, backspace stops working: I finally upgraded to win 10 and my computer is running very smoothly except for an issue with my backspace button, it doesn't work. It doesn't work on the keyboard plugged into my pc, it doesn't work on my Bluetooth keyboard, it doesn't work on my onscreen keyboard....
  5. Brightness buttons stopped working Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brightness buttons stopped working Win10: Hello. I have an HP Laptop (HP EliteBook 840 G5) running win10 enterprise. My Fn f3-f4 of the brightness control stopped working after an update. when my computer was new i had this issue, and after a lot of error and trial it appeared i needed an Intel driver of chipset...
  6. Some keys stopped working Win10, but ONLY whith online apps.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some keys stopped working Win10, but ONLY whith online apps.: HP laptop with i7 and Win10-64 home. Fully patched. Starting this summer I noticed that backspace, when editing text online (like on Facebook), got an erratic response, sometimes not deleting at all, sometimes one or two characters per a couple of seconds, sometimes...
  7. Win10 desktop headphones suddently stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 desktop headphones suddently stopped working: In a nutshell the problem is this: This morning, my son's Windows 10 desktop was working normally, including the headphone jack being usable. Then hours later, audio wouldn't play through the headphones, although inserting phones into the jack was detected. Doing so would...
  8. Netflix Win10 App not working :/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Netflix Win10 App not working :/: Hi, so pretty much from day 1 the netflix app in the win app store has not worked on my win10, everything loads up fine and you click on a movie/tv show and it buffers at 7% than 21% than goes back to the content menu, I have tried everything I can think of, uninstalling the...
  9. Apps stop working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps stop working.: Hi, In the Reliability Monitor it claims that Photo App - stopped working. I used it briefly and closed it down and saw no evidence of any problem but as stated above the Monitor claims it stopped working. Am I closing it down incorrectly; I use the close button 'X' top...
  10. Win10 Pro intermittently just stops working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 Pro intermittently just stops working: I have three machines with Win10 Pro. Two behaving quite well, however one machine ABit IP35 Pro, 256 SSD, 1 TB hard drive, Nvidia 750 ti, 8 GB ram just intermittently just hangs up during operation. This is a very fast machine with a quad Intel Processor. I need some help...