Windows 10: Win10 asking for Shared Folder when none are set?

Discus and support Win10 asking for Shared Folder when none are set? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all! My shared folder settings have been doing great ages now, but I've run into an issue in the last week where my Win10 desktop and my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Darkstrike, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Win10 asking for Shared Folder when none are set?

Hi all!

My shared folder settings have been doing great ages now, but I've run into an issue in the last week where my Win10 desktop and my brother's Win10 desktop are both always asking for a username and password to Shared Folders that have no username and password set...?

This is only on my home network, so none of the Sharing settings on any of our machines are set to use passwords. I've checked the Advanced Sharing settings in Win10 numerous times now and passworded sharing is turned OFF (it is also turned off on the below-mentioned Linux machines as well, so shares from my Win10 and Linux machines should require NO password).

Windows asks for a password for the shares from both of our Windows 10 desktops and the Samba shares coming from my three Linux machines as well. It never used to do this and, as far as I can tell (as mentioned above), passworded sharing is turned off on both Win10 machines as it always was - I have not changed ANY sharing settings in a year as everything was working fine.

I haven't tried to access a share in probably a week or two, so no idea when this started - was there a recent Windows update that changed something? When I DO enter the username and password for the Shares that Win10 is now suddenly asking for for the machines I am trying to connect to, it WILL connect no problem and work as it always has. My point is that I have passworded sharing turned OFF but it asks anyway, which is a bit of a pain on my own personal network...and it always worked fine and never did this until now...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

:)

Darkstrike, Mar 30, 2018
  2. Lucky_35 Win User

how to include shared IMAP folders as visible folders on my email account

As mentioned in my initial post I have tried the "basic" procedure to sync the IMAP folders and all my personal folders can be deleted, created and synchronised but none of the shared folders!

so of course I can see all these "personal" folders when I ask for showing all of them

Lucky_35, Mar 30, 2018
  3. win 10 asking for pwrd when none exists

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the operating system by entering password for the user account on your device.

When you upgrade to Windows 10 from previous operating system, Windows will ask you to log-in using the Microsoft account/ the local account. If you have chosen the Microsoft account, you will have to enter the password.

I would like to inform that Windows 10 is by design you will have to enter a password to log-in through Administrator account. Local accounts can be used without entering the password.
    This feature is being implemented to make more secure with the user profiles.

If you don't remember the password for your user account, I suggest you to refer to the below link about: Why can't you
    sign in?
    and try to reset the password.

Try to reset your account password from the website, enter the same on your computer.

Once you reset the password, you can log-in to the computer and try to change the Microsoft account to local account, which you can use it with out entering the password.

To convert the Microsoft account to local account, you can do the following:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10.
    • Click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and click on Sign out and Finish button.

I would like to inform that Windows Defender is a built-in security software on Windows 10 Operating System. It will help you to scan for viruses and keep the device safe from any malware infections.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 30, 2018
  4. Win10 asking for Shared Folder when none are set?

I should also mention, I have 'SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support' enabled in Windows Features as well! I'm stumped! *Sad

Darkstrike, Mar 31, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    By default windows passes username password your logged in with has that changed and is there an account on the target with same username/password

Samuria, Mar 31, 2018
  6. None of the computers have the same username and password, but that shouldn't matter as it worked like this for years with no issues and never asked for 'Network Credentials' until now.

The only password that has changed is the password on my own Win10 machine (which is signed in through my Microsoft Account) that I am trying to access everything FROM, so that shouldn't affect the passwords it is asking for on the other machines whose shares I am trying to connect TO. As you said, even if Win10 passes the current machine's username/password on automatically to access shares, even with changing mine, it shouldn't matter as all the machines had different usernames and passwords anyway.

It had never asked for as password for the shares on any of the other machines before, but is doing so now. All the shares on the other machines have permissions set for the 'Everyone' group to 'Full Control' (i.e. read/write) and all are set to have password protected sharing turned off.

Darkstrike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win10 asking for Shared Folder when none are set?

1. Win10 asking for Shared Folder when none are set? - Similar Threads - Win10 asking Shared

2. folder sharing issue with Win10 and Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    folder sharing issue with Win10 and Win11: hi therefirst of all, I am not a beginner… I work with Windows since it exists, have many MS certifications and managed huge Windows environments with many thousands PCs.Anyway, I am stucking!I have a small training environment for elderly people. I have 5 PCs, named PC1 to...
  3. folder sharing issue with Win10 and Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folder sharing issue with Win10 and Win11: hi therefirst of all, I am not a beginner… I work with Windows since it exists, have many MS certifications and managed huge Windows environments with many thousands PCs.Anyway, I am stucking!I have a small training environment for elderly people. I have 5 PCs, named PC1 to...
  4. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    set permission in shared folder: Hi pls.I have trouble with set permisiion in the home directory. Home directory is shared folder in Windows 2019 server. I am user with full access to directory. I can create folder, but if I try set permission, the explorer return error Cannot enumerate object in container ,...
  5. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    set permission in shared folder: Hi pls.I have trouble with set permisiion in the home directory. Home directory is shared folder in Windows 2019 server. I am user with full access to directory. I can create folder, but if I try set permission, the explorer return error Cannot enumerate object in container ,...
  6. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 Asks to change for password when none was ever set up with computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Asks to change for password when none was ever set up with computer: After exit from standby mode Windows asks me to replace password, but since i didn't inserted it I cannot insert my previous password. Therefore I cannot use my computer...
  8. Share a folder win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Share a folder win10: Why is it so difficult to find out how to share a folder when on the same wifi network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-a-folder-win10/e9f45ba0-6638-4b83-bc62-a774176ef25d
  9. Why from win10 it ask me password for shared folders?

Why from win10 it ask me password for shared folders?: Hi. I have 3 pc 2 with win7 sp1 and one with win10. At every pc i have create some shared folders and i have choose the switch "everyone" so i can go into these folders without any password at all. So why at every win7 pc or android device i can go to any shared...
  10. Windows folder share ask for password when there is no password

Windows folder share ask for password when there is no password: I have windows 10 pro 64 bit on my laptop and i want to share a folder to another laptop via wifi, but every time i try to connect from the other laptop it always ask for a username and a password but the laptop doesnt have any password, so i turned off password protected...