Windows 10: Win10 clock wrong, Windows Time service resetting itself to manual

Discus and support Win10 clock wrong, Windows Time service resetting itself to manual in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! It's certainly no news, but here is my Windows 10 clock issue. I have done my homework and read about the already known problem, and attempted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wxrated, Jul 26, 2016.

1. wxrated Win User

Win10 clock wrong, Windows Time service resetting itself to manual

Hi!
    It's certainly no news, but here is my Windows 10 clock issue. I have done my homework and read about the already known problem, and attempted to fix it. I have 3 computers with Windows 10 on them here. The clock on 1 of them, Asus ROG, runs flawlessly without tweaking. The other two, HP Pavilion and Acer Aspire Switch 10, have clocks that are simply hot mess.
    I have tried to set time automatically and manually, which doesnt make any difference. Adjusted internet time settings and used both windows time server and time.nist.gov with no success. The time is always wrong, except for when I activate Settings>Time and language> Set time automatically - then it is ok - for a little while, never surviving a restart. I have also been tweaking services.msc and set windows time to start automatically. Yet, when I go in on services again, Windows has reset it to manual again.

It might be a Windows 10 bug, that has no solution so far, but then I guess I would want to just hear that it is the case. Funny enough, one of my 3 computers (running Windows Home Single Language version) seems to be working fine. Anyone who can share his or her experience or give an advice?

:)

wxrated, Jul 26, 2016
  2. NikolaN Win User

Clock settings resetting to a certain time on Windows 10 PC .

Original Title: Windows 10 time service

Hello,

I have a problem with clock settings on my PC.

It is new Lenovo PC bought with win8.1 Pro 64-bit, downgraded to win7 updated and then upgraded to win 10.

After that my PC is joined to domain. Problem is that my PC keeps resetting clock always to the same settings e.g. 14.50 6th June 2016 (probably the time I upgraded to Win10).

If I restart PC or set time manually, after a while clock goes back to wrong settings (always to 14.50 6th June....).

After I reinstalled Windows the problem still exists.

I also have PC that I joined to domain with win7 and than upgraded to win10 and it works fine.

Please help!

Thanks!

NikolaN, Jul 26, 2016
  3. cklock after rebooting from Ubuntu

Hi Rob:

I looked at your suggestion and felt it was overly complicated for us amateurs. But I have some information that may be of use to you.

1) When I boot to Ubuntu The clock is wrong. BUT after a minute or two it corrects itself.

2 When I boot to Windows (Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit) the clock is wrong and would not correct itself unless I did it manually. I found that in The Administrative Tools application (in the Control Panel) I could access the Task Scheduler and then access the
    Time Settings section and reset the Clock to restart when Windows started.

I appreciate your assistance but this seems (at least to me) a lot simpler and less dangerous. I do not deal with registry changes very often.

Regards

Michael-Bereece, Jul 26, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It is not a windows bug. How old is the computer? Have you checked the Clock Regional settings to make sure that it is set correct for the Time Zone that you are in? Have you checked the bios to make sure that the clock stays set? Is there any kind of third party software that you run that could update the clock through NTP.

If the other two are set to sync their clocks when connected to a Wifi network or Network connection, that can screw them up. Also if you dual boot, that can cause the time to get messed up.

bro67, Jul 26, 2016
  5. wxrated Win User
    Thanks for the thoughts - especially for pointing towards the BIOS!
    All the computers are recently bought (+- one month, complete IT-overhaul). Time zone is correct. No 3rd party software I can think of, since it seems the clock has been always wrong. No dual boot. Checked the BIOS on Acer Aspire, the clock was wrong, so I set it correctly. Set the time automatically setting is off (& windows keeps resetting windows time service to manual anyway). The sync of clocks when connected to wifi (but I dunno how to adjust that) could mess up the time, but now I also see that the windows clock stops once the computer is switched off. When I restart the clock starts ticking from the time when I switched off the computer. When I go into BIOS, the BIOS clock is, of course, also wrong and hasnt moved while the computer was switched off. So, on Acer Aspire, once I switch off the computer, the BIOS clock stops ticking. Interesting. I'm not savvy enough to determine what causes that but maybe it indicates smth to you?

wxrated, Jul 27, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

I've got a problem with Windows clock too -- If I set to Automatic - I get 1hr wrong when I'm in UK and 2 hrs wrong when in W.Europe.

Iceland doesn't have Summer Time ( or I think across the pond it's called Daylight saving time) --it's GMT (Forget you Americans who insist on calling it UTC - I know in USA there's a huge "Not invented here" syndrome in the USA but GMT is what it is and still defined by Longitude 0 at Greenwich London).

(Actually in Summer when there's nearly 24 hrs of daylight - what does "Daylight saving time" really mean anyway)

!!!!!! Summer Time is a much better definition !!!!!

BIOS time is fine - so I just set it once manually and then it's fine. Annoying though Windows doesn't automatically change with time zone your computer is in -- surely that's the whole point of those NTP time servers. !!!!. I except that BIOS time needs to be set manually but surely Windows should get time from NTP if you've requested it rather than the BIOS.

Works fine on Mobile phones when you set time to get time from network.

Linux VM boots fine with CORRECT time even if Windows HOST time is out !!!!--NTP servers work fine on Linux --should be the same for Windows AFAIK.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 27, 2016
  7. Thats one thing we get right in the UK, this time of the year we are on BST, British Summer Time *Smile

*Shame MS/Google etc think the UK is on GMT 12 Months of the year *Sad

paulsalter, Jul 27, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Check under Settings > Time & Region and see if the "Set Time Zone Automatically" is checked or not. Same thing with Set time automatically. The other could be the Time clock sync in Settings that can be causing this.

bro67, Jul 28, 2016
  9. wxrated Win User
    Continuing with my issue here, - once I switch off the computer, the BIOS clock stops ticking - any idea what might be causing this? It seems to be highly unlikely that two freshly bought (and sealed, with other words, they don't expect users to open the notebooks) notebooks would have dead CMOS batteries??

wxrated, Jul 28, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    In Scotland, changing between BST and GMT is a joke. You only get a slight benefit for a few weeks.

We say BST, why not BWT?

cereberus, Jul 28, 2016
  11. That might be normal from what i have seen (unless i am thinking of sleep mode),if i am on my laptop and turn it on, it displays the time briefly as the time when i turned it off, then when it checks with the time server it corrects itself
    Thats my observation, someone might tell me i am totally wrong

Would that be for British Wet Time, lol, used for the whole year *Smile

paulsalter, Jul 28, 2016
  12. wxrated Win User
    That would give me some hope as to changing CMOS battery will not be painless in this sealed case. If it's not CMOS could the problem be about windows changing the windows time service to manual, and what could I do about it?

wxrated, Jul 28, 2016
  13. Win10 clock wrong, Windows Time service resetting itself to manual

Does your Time service look like this?
    Not very good with services, but the Trigger Start looks like something else is calling this to start and perhaps this is not happening on yours

Win10 clock wrong, Windows Time service resetting itself to manual [​IMG]

paulsalter, Jul 28, 2016
  14. wxrated Win User
    Same thing, I also have manual and trigger start, once I have chosen to set time automatically in the settings. And if I change the service to run automatically, windows just resets it back to the manual with trigger start.

wxrated, Jul 28, 2016
  15. Thats how mine is set, auto time settings and the service is manual with a trigger start

What does Task Scheduler show for Time Synchronisation, does it show that it has run recently?

paulsalter, Jul 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Win10 clock wrong, Windows Time service resetting itself to manual - Similar Threads - Win10 clock wrong

2. Wrong time in taskbar clock only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong time in taskbar clock only: Im running the newest version of windows in the release preview setting of the windows insider program.my problem is that the clock on the taskbar seems to have the wrong time. the date is correct. the time in the system settings is also correct. i tried changing time zone,...
  3. Wrong time in taskbar clock only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong time in taskbar clock only: Im running the newest version of windows in the release preview setting of the windows insider program.my problem is that the clock on the taskbar seems to have the wrong time. the date is correct. the time in the system settings is also correct. i tried changing time zone,...
  4. Clock on taskbar displays the wrong time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clock on taskbar displays the wrong time: The computer time, date and time zone are all correct in the settings, but the time on the taskbar is stuck permanently at 9:42am https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clock-on-taskbar-displays-the-wrong-time/e7476f46-c1d6-40d1-92a0-19fb36be03a6
  5. Reset WIN10 SERVICES ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset WIN10 SERVICES ?: Hello. Ive recently acquired / bought a "new" Pc from a retail store - WIN10. WIN10 HOME. Version 10.0.17763 build 17763 64 bit system my internet speed is VERY fast - 90-100 MBPS speed (i can watch 5 movies at once with no problems.. though i'm only watching 1 TV show...
  6. Windows "Time/Clock" always wrong

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows "Time/Clock" always wrong: My clock on Windows is always wrong (e.g. Shows 11 instead of 12). Set time automatically is ON, the time zone is set to a correct one, the Internet Time Setting Server is set to time.windows.com (when I click Update Now, it updates it wrong.....any guesses? submitted by...
  7. Time Clock constantly resetting

Time Clock constantly resetting: Hi, So I have been having this problem where my window's clock always goes 7 hours ahead PST anytime I reset/turn off my computer. I have had the option where it sets my time and time zone automatically on before, yet it would still reset the clock to 7 hours ahead. I even...
  8. Windows Alarm Clock - Wrong Time Zone default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Alarm Clock - Wrong Time Zone default: When I ask Cortana to set alarm for 4 hours it sets the alarm for an hour. Basically it sets alarm as if I were in PST vs EST which I am in. This isn't the first time I've had this issue and I can't fix it myself. Occasionally it works correctly after an update, but I...
  9. Wrong time in additional clock Windows 10

Wrong time in additional clock Windows 10: Windows 10 64 bit The additional clock added via 'Date and Time' is wrong. However the 'Alarm and Clock' shows correct time. Added additional clock for Austin (UTC-5) and UTC. 'Alarm and Clock' displays UTC-5 time 'Date and Time' displays UTC-4 time Please check the...
  10. Computer clock shows wrong time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer clock shows wrong time: I am in Canada and my 2-year-old Acer Aspire has Windows 10. The time clock is always 1 hr. ahead of real time. I reset, change location from Canada/US to Eastern Standard time Canada. But it doesn't reset itself. Still showing 1 hr ahead of Ontario time. What can I do to fix...