Windows 10: Win10 cloning a drive under different system

Discus and support Win10 cloning a drive under different system in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a win10 fresh install on an HP pavillion laptop (1tb)drive and i added a second drive( 250g) with my old OS (vista64 home) Now i want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by holydiver, Mar 16, 2016.

1. holydiver Win User

Win10 cloning a drive under different system

I have a win10 fresh install on an HP pavillion laptop (1tb)drive and i added a second drive( 250g) with my old OS (vista64 home)

Now i want to move the 250 gigs of my old system to the new drive but I dont want it to boot to the old os.I want it to still boot with WIN10 ... any suggestions? ( if this is in the wrong thread i apologize)

:)

holydiver, Mar 16, 2016

2. Cloning problems with Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Unable to clone a Samsung SSD 850 EVO on a newly upgraded Win10 machine. Samsung's cloning app does not see the drive, though Samsung's Magician software does (albeit grayed out).

Formatted and mounted the drive in MS Disk Management; drive appears as E.

(Already successfully cloned and installed an 850 on a different machine using Win8.1; then successfully upgraded to Win10, so I know what success looks like.)

TIA,

Sam

Sal A. Manger, Mar 16, 2016
  3. g geek Win User
    clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

I think in 1.) you're giving me details on how to wipe out my Win10 drive, which doesn't help.

It sounds like I CAN clone a bootable MBR into a GPT drive partition if I start off with a completely empty drive. So if I go buy a fresh 1TB drive and clone the MBR drive into it first (partitioning as GPT) then I'll be able to clone the Win10 into it
    and have a dual-bootable system?

I'm also intrigued by your 2.) answer although it was short on details. I'll go search about "virtual machines" and see if I can get there that way.

g geek, Mar 16, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Use MiniTool Partition Wizard to shrink your Windows 10 partition to create an unallocated space equal to the size of the OS partition on your old hard drive, then copy just the OS partition of your old hard to the unallocated space.

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Or, use Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of the old hard drive saved as an image file to your new hard drive. Then use the explore image function of Macrium Reflect to assign a virtual drive letter to your old OS partition contained within the image.

Macrium Reflect Free

Or, there are ways to capture the OS partition of your old hard drive as a vhd file and then run that vhd file as a virtual machine inside Windows 10, but I'm not too experienced with that.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  5. holydiver Win User
    i have a 1 tb of space do i really need to shrink the win10 install partition? Also i have the 250gb drive full thats why it stopped working
    (vista ran out of room) I dont care if the vista os doesnt boot

holydiver, Mar 16, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you don't shrink the Windows 10 partition then where would you clone the Windows Vista hard drive to? Cloning means to copy an existing partition or multiple partitions from one disc to another exactly as they are. That means a new partition will be created on the new hard drive which will end up being a copy of the partition on the old hard drive. In order to create a new partition, the disk must contain the empty space to create the partition in.

Imaging means you take the contents of a partition on a drive and transfer it to a single file - from which that partition can be recreated later. Most imaging programs also provide a means to explore the contents of the image by mounting the image file as a virtual drive. You get a drive letter, let's say F:\, that looks like a regular partition/drive but it is really just the contents of the image file. Usually exploring the image that way is read only, you can view/copy files out of the image but can't change files on the image or write new files to it.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  7. holydiver Win User
    Apparently Marcium Reflect is 530mbs in size.. thats awful big for a imaging program i will have to keep looking

holydiver, Mar 16, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Since you aren't making a backup image of your operating system for restoration later in the event of failure, there is an option during the setup to download the Macrium Relfect program only and not the PE component. The PE component is only needed to make the Macrium Rescue disk. Without the PE component it's a little over 40 MB in size.

As you stated in post #3, though, you have a 1 TB drive. So, even at 530 MB for the entire Macrium Reflect with PE install that's roughly 0.05% used space of your disk.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    This might work better for you, though. It will create a .vhd file which can be mounted as a read/write virtual drive:
    Disk2vhd

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  10. holydiver Win User
    I went ahead with installed since as you said the 530mb little more than half a gig. I will just delete it after the install ..I'm just waiting for the image to be saved so we will see how it goes ...I also created the rescue dvd for win10..

Gonna give this a try
    Thanx

holydiver, Mar 16, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have to leave Macrium installed to mount the image, unfortunately. But you can uninstall it, and then re-install selecting to download and install the program only and not the PE component.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Actually, I just read this:
    Macrium Support Forum - Clean-up after creating Windows PE ISO

Right click on start icon, select Programs and Features at top of list. Scroll down to Macrium Reflect Free Edition, highlight and click uninstall. Uncheck Uninstall Macrium Reflect and check Remove Windows PE Component Files.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  13. holydiver Win User

Wow thanx for showing me that I will unistall it later

Have a good night

holydiver, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 cloning a drive under different system - Similar Threads - Win10 cloning drive

2. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clone a virtual machine on a different system: Hello,I want to make a 1:1 copy of some Virtual Machines from system A and import them on a different system B using Hyper-V. Some have Windows Server 2016, Some Windows 10. I was wondering, will the Product ID be the same on both virtual machines after import?How can I...
  3. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone a virtual machine on a different system: Hello,I want to make a 1:1 copy of some Virtual Machines from system A and import them on a different system B using Hyper-V. Some have Windows Server 2016, Some Windows 10. I was wondering, will the Product ID be the same on both virtual machines after import?How can I...
  4. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  6. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  7. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  8. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  9. Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive: My operating system runs on a Corsair SSD hard drive. I plan to clone the OS to a much larger Samsung SSD hard drive using Acronis.. And I wonder if there will be any compatibility issues between the hard drives? 137880
  10. Cloned Win10 drive to ssd, bootmgr missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned Win10 drive to ssd, bootmgr missing: I used TrueImage 15 to clone and shrink my win10 load to a new SSD. Original drive was a 1tb with 120g used in a 900g partition. I had TI clone and shrink that to the 240g SSD. However, the bootmgr was left behind. I used EasyBCD 2.2 to put the bootmgr back but now it seems...