Windows 10: Win10 decides it is time to update & force reboot kill tasks wo prmpt!

Discus and support Win10 decides it is time to update & force reboot kill tasks wo prmpt! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Today is the third time.. I don't remember, for sure it is the second! Win10 @ 1709 showed there are updates available, you may press the button to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Barabba, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Barabba Win User

Win10 decides it is time to update & force reboot kill tasks wo prmpt!

Today is the third time.. I don't remember, for sure it is the second!

Win10 @ 1709 showed there are updates available, you may press the button to install them or.. , I don't remember, it doesn't matter, you just want there to push OK, which means "I UNDERSTAND, I'M DOING SOMETHING ELSE, PLEASE DON'T BOTHER ME NOW". About 5 min later, you are reading a paper and you see you PC closing all documents WITHOUT PROMPTING TO SAVE FOR CHANGES, ALL IS KILLED, it reboots.

Bye to your work.

Unbelievable bug. I no other versions in all Microsoft's story I saw such behaviour!! And it keeps from older Win10 versions, they never corrected it!!!!

If you see an update coming, SAVE ALL!! AND CROSS YOUR FINGERS

:)

Barabba, Mar 13, 2018

2. Purplish tint on greys when low brightness is active

I hear you on that, even despite the initial hiccups on the phone to be addressed in future update, the phone is rock solid. Definately don't miss "FORCE STOP" Win10 decides it is time to update & force reboot kill tasks wo prmpt! :)

Android FORCE STOP is the new CTRL-ALT-DELETE Win10 decides it is time to update & force reboot kill tasks wo prmpt! :)

Shoey5---01, Mar 13, 2018
  3. sullster Win User
    Wuauserv Corrupt and stuck on stopping

I want to know how to force kill a windows service. wuauserv is stuck in stopping state even after restarting several times. net stop, task manager, and services wont stop it so I need something more aggressive that will force it to die.

Moved from: [Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures]

sullster, Mar 13, 2018
  4. Barabba Win User

now you wil reply me for sure:
    "how you lost your work? Microsoft Office always saves a temporary copy", or "you may consider to save periodically your drafts".

Kindly give me a break from this. And consider that force reboot is not acceptable.

I'm working with text documents and apps that use normally RAM.

Barabba, Mar 13, 2018
  5. Superfly Win User
    I don't use the Windows Update service for various reasons but there are options to eg. schedule a restart - mine's greyed our tho'? Check yours...

Superfly, Mar 13, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    It always is, it only becomes enabled once an update has been downloaded and awaiting a restart. Active Hours is one you can set at any time.

Change Active Hours for Windows Update in Windows 10

Schedule Restart Time for Windows Update in Windows 10

7. Superfly Win User
    Thanx.. @Bree
    Then does changing GPO work?

Found this
    Code: Do not display 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option in Shut Down Windows dialog box Not configured No Do not adjust default option to 'Install Updates and Shut Down' in Shut Down Windows dialog box Not configured No Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates Not configured No Turn off auto-restart for updates during active hours Not configured No Specify active hours range for auto-restarts Not configured No Allow updates to be downloaded automatically over metered connections Not configured No Always automatically restart at the scheduled time Not configured No Specify deadline before auto-restart for update installation Not configured No Configure auto-restart reminder notifications for updates Not configured No Turn off auto-restart notifications for update installations Not configured No Configure auto-restart required notification for updates Not configured No Configure Automatic Updates Not configured No Specify intranet Microsoft update service location Not configured No Automatic Updates detection frequency Not configured No Do not allow update deferral policies to cause scans against Windows Update Not configured No Remove access to use all Windows Update features Not configured No Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations Not configured No Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications Not configured No Specify Engaged restart transition and notification schedule for updates Not configured No Do not include drivers with Windows Updates Not configured No Turn on Software Notifications Not configured No Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation Not configured No Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates Not configured No No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations Not configured No Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations Not configured No Delay Restart for scheduled installations Not configured No Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations Not configured No Configure auto-restart warning notifications schedule for updates Not configured No Update Power Policy for Cart Restarts Not configured No Enable client-side targeting Not configured No Allow signed updates from an intranet Microsoft update service location Not configured No[/quote] Oh just checked... OP does not have Pro... but just wondering (shall we just go ahead and hijack his thread anyway?... LOL)

(BTW... one more reason to get Pro)

Superfly, Mar 13, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Perhaps not, I think we may end up going outside Barabba's comfort zone *Smile

For my Home machine I always get in first with a manual check before windows update get's round to checking for and installing updates. That way I get to choose the time an update is installed and never suffer a surprise restart.

Check for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10

@Barabba, it may help to know that these updates are routinely issued on the second Tuesday of each month at around 10AM (Redmond, USA time). Occasionally an update is issued 'out of band', so it's worth checking for updates before beginning any important/lengthy work.

9. Barabba Win User
    thank you mates for answers. Yes I have it on gray, it should not restart it automatically when he likes to do it. Now I just enabled "let me now more notification about restart". I hope it will ask me about!
    In every Windows existed now it was prompting you "forever" that updates are ready and to restart as soon as you can, even after the most crytical! Do you remember the popup about with the option "remember me in X minutes"? That is the way!

I've lost all my job today! Now a Windows crash but a Windows malicious behaviour! I can't call it in another way..

Barabba, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 decides it is time to update & force reboot kill tasks wo prmpt! - Similar Threads - Win10 decides update

2. Powershell task kill

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell task kill: I have several meeting rooms setup to empty the Outlook mailbox when its closed. So im trying to have a powershell script close Outlook after office hours but if you PS C:\> Stop-Process -Name "outlook" it just kills outlook where as if you manually close it a prompt comes up...
  3. Powershell task kill

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell task kill: I have several meeting rooms setup to empty the Outlook mailbox when its closed. So im trying to have a powershell script close Outlook after office hours but if you PS C:\> Stop-Process -Name "outlook" it just kills outlook where as if you manually close it a prompt comes up...
  4. Powershell task kill

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Latest update killed my task bar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest update killed my task bar: I just update my windows 10. After update, my task bar would not work. I cannot use Windows + I or Windows +R. The window icon would not bring start up. The search bar does not work. I had to use File Manager > Computer properties > Restore backup. I am now afraid...
  6. Win10 Update Killed My WiFi Speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Update Killed My WiFi Speed: On 11/14/19, I noticed that my wifi speed on my PC had dropped from pretty decent to dead slow. I'm talking ~1-2Mbps slow. That's dial-up speed. Over the next two days, I tested it many times, rebooted multiple times, adjusted the WiFi card's antennas multiple times, rebooted...
  7. MS Forcing an update and reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Forcing an update and reboot: I had Updates turned off on my system and tonight an update seemed to be forced and my system rebooted. after restarting all the data on my storage/work drive is gone! I have been working on a project for 3 week's and was being sent to Antarctica for research. Even the...
  8. win10 update kill lenovo b50 keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    win10 update kill lenovo b50 keyboard: Everything works until first update, and after that keyboard dont work. I have installed 3 times from scratsh, and same problem with 2 lenovo laptop------?????...
  9. Win10 update kills my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 update kills my laptop: After a recent update, the laptop went back to the last app before the update, but could not open any other app except the file directory. Subsequently this app also disappeared and only the file app was functioning. On seeing only the C directory using the file app, I...
  10. Task force

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task force: Ik krij dit bericht : Background Task host werk niet meer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/task-force/371b2346-c527-405c-9b06-228731d217a8