Windows 10: Win10 desktop headphones suddently stopped working

Discus and support Win10 desktop headphones suddently stopped working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In a nutshell the problem is this: This morning, my son's Windows 10 desktop was working normally, including the headphone jack being usable. Then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by asus2016, Jun 16, 2018.

1. asus2016 Win User

Win10 desktop headphones suddently stopped working

In a nutshell the problem is this:

This morning, my son's Windows 10 desktop was working normally, including the headphone jack being usable. Then hours later, audio wouldn't play through the headphones, although inserting phones into the jack was detected. Doing so would trigger popups in the bottom right saying "You just plugged in [or unplugged a device from] the audio jack." They'd alternate (plugged in/unplugged) every second or so, until the phones were unplugged. But the audio wouldn't go through the phones.

You just plugged/unplugged a device in the audio jack describes this, and one can find lots of instances in google.

I tried the obvious things:

• Same problem with different set of headphones
    • Uninstalled the Realtek device driver, restarted - the driver was not found or reinstalled, and the sound disappeared altogether

At that point, I did a system restore to the way it was this morning, hours before the problem appeared. That restored the speaker audio, but the headphone problem (no audio, and the popups when a headphone was plugged in) remained.

I have seen several recommendations to run the Realtek HD Audio Manager and pursue a fix that way. But I don't know how to launch this program.

Some other material facts that might help in troubleshooting this:

• The PC had been used sparsely while my son was away the last several weeks. Today, after the last time the headphones worked, the June Windows update was installed. Although I then did a system restore back to the state it was before that update took place.
    • I'm kicking myself, but the only other material thing that happened between headphones working, and headphones not, was an attempt to install an Atari "Backyard Baseball" game, circa 2005, purchased at a garage sale today. Of course, this XP-era game didn't work on the computer, and sometimes games try to install their own "current" (13 years old) drivers. However, (1) I can't remove the program; it's not populating the list of removable programs, so I assume it's not installed; (2) When I check the Realtek driver through device manager, it tells me the installed driver is current.

The problem/fix has to be some small little thing I am overlooking. Help!

:)

asus2016, Jun 16, 2018
  2. Ivy Mun Win User

Speakers and headphones work at the same time

Hi.

Let us isolate your concern by answering these few questions.

• Have you tried connecting your headphones directly to your desktop?
    • Does your speaker work normally when connected to your desktop?
    You may try the following steps to help resolve your concern:

• Unplug or Disconnect your speaker from the desktop.
    • Connect your headphone directly to the desktop.
    If the headphone works properly when directly connected to the desktop, we suggest that you contact your speaker manufacturer for assistance.

Let us know how it goes.

Ivy Mun, Jun 16, 2018
  3. caperjack Win User
    bluetooth headphones

setting up win10 Bluetooth and my Bluetooth headphones work fine ,but every time I reconnect the headphones I have to delete them from Bluetooth settings and let win10 pickup the headphones again ,before they will pair ,then win10 want to reboot to add the headphones ,I reboot and they work fine ,but next time I plug the headphone in again they will not pair ,don't even get an option to pair till I delete the head phones from the list ,, any suggestions ,, thank

caperjack, Jun 16, 2018
  4. Win10 desktop headphones suddently stopped working

Headphone stops working randomly.

Hi,

As per the description, the issue might be caused due to damage in the port. I suggest you to connect another headphone and check if the same issue persists. This is to check if the issue is with the hardware.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps provided below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search box and press Enter.
    • Click on View All in the left navigation pane.
    • Click on Hardware and Devices and follow the on-screen prompts for troubleshooting.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 16, 2018
Thema:

Win10 desktop headphones suddently stopped working

1. Win10 desktop headphones suddently stopped working - Similar Threads - Win10 desktop headphones

2. Microphone stopped working suddently.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone stopped working suddently.: Hello Microsoft!Hello, there is a very problematic thing that has arisen. Yesterday December 10th I was playing a computer game and around 18:30 I noticed that my friends can't hear me, that the microphone out of nowhere broke or something. It feels like I've almost tried...
  3. Microphone stopped working suddently.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone stopped working suddently.: Hello Microsoft!Hello, there is a very problematic thing that has arisen. Yesterday December 10th I was playing a computer game and around 18:30 I noticed that my friends can't hear me, that the microphone out of nowhere broke or something. It feels like I've almost tried...
  4. Microphone stopped working suddently.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Headphones stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones stopped working: After unplugging the headphones and plugging then back in to my laptop the sound stopped coming. Speakers still work, headphones also work in conjunction with my smartphone, but not on PC.I've ran this test: and I DO hear the test sound in the headphones, but nothing in the...
  6. Headphones stuttering with Win10 desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones stuttering with Win10 desktop: Hey guys, So I have these Gid5b BT headphones that work perfectly well with my laptop and my phone. And I have a desktop computer with a BT dongle plugged into it, that works perfectly well with my other BT headphones (in-ear ones, that's why I want to use another set when...
  7. WOL suddently stopped working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WOL suddently stopped working: So to start with I have been using Wake on Lan for a couple of years now. Recently I had to reinstall the bios for some reason. After that I turned the setting "Resume by PCI-E device" on again. Since this should be the option for WOL to work. So I assumed everything would...
  8. Mic suddently stopped working

Mic suddently stopped working: Hello guys! Today my mic suddently stopped working after booting my pc. I've tried to check every possible setting, but they all seem ok. The pc detects the mic, but it just doesn't pick up anything. I've tried reinstalling the realtek drivers and restoring my pc, but the...
  9. Headphones stopped working

Headphones stopped working: My headphones just randomly stopped working and I know it isn't the headphones fault as no pairs work I can still get sound out my monitor but no where else any help would be appreciated submitted by /u/totan39 [link] [comments]...
  10. Headphones stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones stopped working: Just installed 10, and my headphones have gone dead. When I unplug them, the sound works normally through a connection to my hifi set. The headphones work all right when connected to my Mac. How can I get Windows 10 to recognize the headphones? 22361