Windows 10: Win10 desktop icons rearranging on boot

Discus and support Win10 desktop icons rearranging on boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This problem is as old as Win itself, it was in every version of Win and now in 10 I have it too. Everything worked fine until a few days back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WillyDiddly, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Win10 desktop icons rearranging on boot

This problem is as old as Win itself, it was in every version of Win and now in 10 I have it too. Everything worked fine until a few days back everytime i boot or restart the PC all the icons go to the left side of the screen and I can't seem to figure out why. Yes, the automatic icon arranging is turned off, yes there is no malware in my PC, no I don't have dual monitors and no I do not want to install 3rd party software to solve this problem. I want to get to the root of it and solve it.
    Any ideas? It seems to me that the file or whatever it is where the information about the desktop is stored resets every time you turn the PC off and it is very annoying.

:)

WillyDiddly, Aug 28, 2015
  2. mekendar Win User

Icon movement on desktop

Each time I start up with Win10 my desktop icon's are rearranged, Driving me nuts! How can I lock them in?

mekendar, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Tina-V Win User
    How to lock icons in place on the desktop WIN10

How do I lock icons in place (as I want) on the desktop of windows 10? All of a sudden I have to rearrange all icons after every restart what it's quite annoying. Plus win10 changed the language of my keyboard option.

Tina-V, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Win10 desktop icons rearranging on boot

Arrange as you want them then right click on the Desktop and select Refresh, see if that helps.

Ztruker, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Nah, not working... as soon as I hit refresh all the icons jump back to the left... from what I've read on the internet there is probably a problem in the registry, I even found the registry key that is supposedly corrupted as some people have suggested on other forums, but you're supposed to delete it and I can't. It just tells me that it's not possible to delete when I try...
    I even deleted everything that I've installed since the problem occured, but no luck with that either... All I can think of is that a few days back my pc crashed (RAM problem) and it restarted itself.. (tho I can't recall if the problem has already been present or if it was after) so I would say that something got corrupted due to the unexpected crash and now it's misbehaving... and I don't really feel like reinstalling windows because of such a "trivial" yet very frustrating problem :-\ ...

WillyDiddly, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    While you're trying to get to the root cause seems like it would be a good idea to use a program that can remember and restore the Desktop icon placement instead of you having to do this every time.

I use DesktopOK. No install, just run it. If you don't select to have it restore placement at startup then you should be able to continue working on this and still be able to put the icons back with a couple mouse clicks.

Ztruker, Aug 31, 2015
  7. Welp, that's funny... even though I did not want to use any 3rd party programs to solve it I gave your suggestion a go.. dowloaded DesktopOK, took the time to rearrange everything nicely and then I clicked to save the layout in DesktopOK and voila, everything jumped back to the left side of the screen and got saved as such *Biggrin ... sooo.. I guess I'm reinstalling Win today...

UPDATE:
    .. so since there is no working solution on the internet anywhere (despite this being a problem since win 95 *really) I decided to reinstall the Win10 and now the problem is "solved" .. for as long as it won't happen out of nowhere again... too bad we can't figure out what's wrong .. but I have tried all the suggestions I found and none work.. only reinstalling..

WillyDiddly, Aug 31, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

That is truly weird. Good luck.

Ztruker, Sep 1, 2015
  9. Malkere Win User
    same problem, not going to reinstall

Malkere, Sep 17, 2015
  10. Well, if you have exactly the same problem as I had then you will have to reinstall... no other solution to this..

WillyDiddly, Sep 17, 2015
  11. Malkere Win User
    that is not a solution its just resetting the factory defaults. whatever caused it will cause it again. Glad for you if you're happy with it in the mean time. I have no interest in redefining everything I've done since I initially installed and will continue to look for a solution.

Malkere, Sep 17, 2015
  12. You can reinstall your Win while keeping all the apps, programs and documents.. so you will lost nothing else but 45 mins of your time..

WillyDiddly, Sep 17, 2015
  13. Win10 desktop icons rearranging on boot

today i reinstall my window 10.... just because of this issue...now after few hours i am again facing same issue..its very irritating

pankaj3120, Sep 25, 2015
  14. It happened to me as well! I reinstalled Win and it fixed the problem but then it came back again. You need to do one thing.
    1. When the Win is working correctly and the icons are in place you need to create a restore point
    2. The option to create a restore point might be disabled, so you need to enable it first, just search "restore point" in your Win search box
    3. After you have created the restore point whenever the icons get buggy again just return to the Restore Point where it was ok..
    It will keep your programs and everything, it will just restore the registry values of the Win when it worked.

It's a stupid solution but it is the only one that I have figured out. If you don't do this then you will have to reinstall Win every time it bugs out and that's not acceptable. I have no idea what's causing this problem though. *sarc

WillyDiddly, Sep 25, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Much easier would be to install a program like DesktopOK that can remember icon placement on teh Desktop then if they get scrambled, just right click on it's icon and restore the layout.

Once the icons are placed as you want, have you tried right clicking on the Desktop and selecting Refresh? This seems to help Windows remember icon placement for me.

Ztruker, Sep 26, 2015
Thema:

1. Win10 desktop icons rearranging on boot - Similar Threads - Win10 desktop icons

2. Desktop icons symbols randomly rearrange

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons symbols randomly rearrange: I have a Problem on my Windows 10 Home 10.0.19045 Desktop PC.1. Monitor: 3440x14402. Monitor 1920x1080 turned off!Windows+P Settings set to PC screen onlyProcossor: AMD Ryzen 2600Graphics Card: AMD rx 580I am not sure how it started, but my desktop icons/symbols were moved to...
  3. Desktop Icons rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons rearranging: I have a user who is using dual monitors and their desktop icons always revert back to the main monitor on restart. I logged in and moved icons around and restarted and everything was where i moved it. So this appears to be user specific. I am assuming their is something that...
  4. Desktop Icons Rearranging upon Reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons Rearranging upon Reboot: Just to clarify, I do know that you have to turn off the auto arrange option in the desktop. I have that option off. I also deleted IconCache yet its still happening. Every time I turn off my computer and turn it back on, some icons go to left and some stay in the arrangement...
  5. rearrange icons on desktop

rearrange icons on desktop: On my Win 10 desktop I can move icons to any part of the grid with a left click-hold and drag. The setting is "Align icons to grid". My wife's Win 10 will not let the icon move at all. What needs to change...
  6. Desktop icons keep rearranging

Desktop icons keep rearranging: After rebooting the system, the desktop icons usually arrange in a different way than they used to be. I deleted the “IconCache” and checked “auto arrange icons”. I want them to be at fixed places....
  7. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: when i rearrange position of the icon it will amass icon in 1 point, i have checked align icon to grid but it just like that again,don't know how to fix it[ATTACH] ***Changed title from Error icons***...
  8. Quit rearranging my desktop icons win10!!

Quit rearranging my desktop icons win10!!: Amongst a ton of other things I want get into here, the one that's got me hot under the collar now is I can't find where I can lock my desktop icons from being shuffled all over creation everytime I boot up. There HAS to be an EZ solution to this. Thanks, GPL*Mad*Mad*Mad...
  9. Desktop Icon rearrange it's self :(

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon rearrange it's self :(: As the topic said above every time I press F5 to refresh my desktop it rearrange it's self *Sad and I need to re-arrange it again. How can I stop it from doing that *Rolleyes [img] [img] 24524
  10. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: Hello, My desktop icons keep rearranging and windows explorer won't save the position I put them in. I can rearrange them but when I click 'Refresh' or if I restart explorer or if I reboot they rearrange to another setup. This happens in both normal mode and safe mode....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 icons rearranging on dock/undock

2. windows 10 desktop icons rearrange on boot