Windows 10: Win10 doesn't always recognize my password

Discus and support Win10 doesn't always recognize my password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; This happened back in July, then again last month. At boot up win10 does not recognize my sign in password for my local user account. Since I know my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by adl6009, Jan 1, 2018.

1. adl6009 Win User

Win10 doesn't always recognize my password

This happened back in July, then again last month. At boot up win10 does not recognize my sign in password for my local user account. Since I know my password I typed it in again, no good. I spent the rest of the day retrying my password. Must have typed it in 100 times, then for no apparent reason it recognized the password and I'm in (same thing in July). First thing I did was removed the need to login at boot up. To be honest I don't remember how I did it. I found some help article online and followed the instructions. I think I ran netplwz to do it, but I don't remember for sure (that was a whole month ago). Anyway I am finally getting around to fix the problem. I have not rebooted the computer since this occurred. Today I tried to set up a pin in settings, windows prompted for a password but did not recognize my password. Went to change the password, same thing. I know I removed the need to sign in, but it still requests a password. I found a tutorial here which pointed me to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    This shows no line for default password. Auto Admin Logon has a value of 1. Default Domain Name and Default User Name both have accurate values.
    The question is will my computer boot without needing a password? Thanks for the help.

:)

adl6009, Jan 1, 2018

2. When trying to sign into Windows 10 for the first time, I get the error “That password is incorrect.”

I had the same problem and then I figured it out. If your password has numbers in it and you use the keypad on your keyboard therein lies the problem! For some reason Win10 turns off the "NumLock" so it doesn't recognize your keystrokes using the keypad.
    If you use the number over the letters on the keyboard it probably works. All you have to do when win10 starts is click the "numLock" key. Now you can input your password and use the keypad and it should work. I finally noticed when I was inputting my password
    that it wasn't registering after the letter when I was inputting the numbers using the keypad. It is a pain always having to remember to hit "NumLock" before I start entering my password and I wish Win10 didn't turn off my "NumLock", but I haven't researched
    how to stop that. I hope that helps you.

JohannaRoseville, Jan 1, 2018
  3. after win10 update it doesn't recognize my password

thanks andre, but no. still need help.

how can an password be required when no password was set up?

martinishelton, Jan 1, 2018
  4. Win10 doesn't always recognize my password

If the local user account causing the problem you can reset user account password with simple command.

In Windows 10 type cmd.exe into Start Menu, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

From Command Prompt execute below command to reset your user account password.

Code: net user adl6009 *[/quote] Press Enter key twice to reset the password of user account named adl6009. If you don’t know what the Windows user accounts are, type command net user firstly to view all the user accounts. Please replace adl6009 with your user account name.

If the user account is Microsoft account then reset your Microsoft account password from below link.

How to reset your Microsoft account password

FreeBooter, Jan 1, 2018
  5. adl6009 Win User
    Thanks for the help. I will have time tomorrow to play with it. I will post the results, if it works *Smile

adl6009, Jan 2, 2018
  6. adl6009 Win User
    I followed you procedure and created a new password, maybe I made a mistake and used my old password, but the computer reboots and starts up. The weird thing is it does not request a password. I used the cmd prompt and entered the password, then confirmed it, I figured windows would then require it at start up. To continue with the weird behavior, I wanted to view my saved passwords in google chrome, before this chrome would require me to enter my windows password and windows would rejected it. Now windows accepts the password without a problem. In any case thanks again for the help.

adl6009, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win10 doesn't always recognize my password

1. Win10 doesn't always recognize my password - Similar Threads - Win10 doesn't always

2. Why does my log in always fail to recognize the password?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why does my log in always fail to recognize the password?: Everytime I log off and then try to log in microsoft does not recognize the password, and I have to reset it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-log-in-always-fail-to-recognize-the/8a21fbab-dd43-40cc-86c7-38293df6828f
  3. Why does my log in always fail to recognize the password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my log in always fail to recognize the password?: Everytime I log off and then try to log in microsoft does not recognize the password, and I have to reset it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-log-in-always-fail-to-recognize-the/8a21fbab-dd43-40cc-86c7-38293df6828f
  4. Why does my log in always fail to recognize the password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows doesn't recognize my password or pin no more

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows doesn't recognize my password or pin no more: My Hp elite 840 g5 won't recognize my password and I've been stuck trying to get into my pc. What can I do...? I've tried resetting my Microsoft password still won't open my pc...
  6. Win10 doesn't recognize new monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 doesn't recognize new monitor: Hi MicrosoftI bought a new monitor https://www.power.dk/computere-og-tablets/monitorer-og-skaerme/pc-skaerme/msi-optix-g273qfw-27-gamingskaerm/p-1173633/?q=G273QFW and plugged it in and everything was working perfect. 2560x1440 and 165hz. Happy me.I unplugged my setup to set...
  7. Win10 doesn't recognize new monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 doesn't recognize new monitor: Hi MicrosoftI bought a new monitor https://www.power.dk/computere-og-tablets/monitorer-og-skaerme/pc-skaerme/msi-optix-g273qfw-27-gamingskaerm/p-1173633/?q=G273QFW and plugged it in and everything was working perfect. 2560x1440 and 165hz. Happy me.I unplugged my setup to set...
  8. Win10 doesn't recognize new monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Office doesn't recognize password

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Office doesn't recognize password: Following 5/15 update my password not recognized at Windows login/ lock screen. Logged in safe mode, restarted, password recognized. Then Office 2013 wont open - none of it. Used online repair tool. Office opened as though i'm a brand new user and required establishing a...
  10. win10 doesn't recognize my password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    win10 doesn't recognize my password: how to reset my account password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-doesnt-recognize-my-password/8580298c-ffee-4b64-b250-80809cea01bb