Windows 10: Win10 Downgraded Win8.1 Pro To Home Edition

Discus and support Win10 Downgraded Win8.1 Pro To Home Edition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have reinstalled Win8, updated, installed Added Features, updated, installed Media Center, updated, then upgraded to Win8.1 and did all final... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Omega1, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Omega1 Win User

Win10 Downgraded Win8.1 Pro To Home Edition

I have reinstalled Win8, updated, installed Added Features, updated, installed Media Center, updated, then upgraded to Win8.1 and did all final updates... and Windows stayed activated, like it should... now I just have to wait for the Win10 icon to show up so I can upgrade to Windows 10....
    But now I have a couple other questions,,,
    1.) What version of Windows 10 should be installed (I have Windows 8.1 Pro (w/media center added))? Should it be just Windows Pro ?

2.) When I download the iso for a clean install (I'm planning a clean install at some point), which iso is it that I should download?
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 KN
    Windows 10 N
    Windows 10 Single Language

I think this may be where I screwed up last time when Windows downgraded my version to the home edition, but I'm not sure...

BTW, can I just use the upgrade tool to upgrade to Win10 or do I have to wait for the upgrade icon to show back up by the clock??

Omega1, Oct 6, 2015
  2. DustSailor, Oct 6, 2015
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    The easiest thing for you to do now is use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool:
    Windows 10

Select the second option to "Create installation media for another PC". Download the English Windows 10 Pro ISO. Not N, Not single language. Just plain old Windows 10 Pro. Keep the bit level the same as you have now, probably 64 bit.

Save the ISO, I think it is the create DVD later option or something like that.

Right click the ISO file and select Mount. That will open a new drive letter, just like a DVD. Run setup.exe from the new drive letter. That will start the upgrade to Windows 10. If it asks you for a product key, click the close window X to cancel it because something is wrong - you downloaded the wrong version.

Once you have the upgrade done, then you can burn a DVD or USB from that same ISO file to create an installation media that you can do a clean install from, after your double check that the Windows 10 upgrade is activated.

NavyLCDR, Oct 6, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

First right click on This Computer and select Properties to see System Properties and verify that you have Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC. This will also show you if it is 32-bit or 64-bit. The best version is Windows 10 Pro, others are limited or missing features, avoid them. So download Windows 10 Pro 32-bit or 64-bit, according to your current system. Burn to disc for convenience. Disable or uninstall your antivirus to make sure it won't interfere with the setup progress and mess things. Upgrade to Windows 10 (can take long, so chose a convenient time when you won't need the PC). Upgrade all drivers to Windows 10, if possible, starting from the chipset and graphics driver. Do all the Windows Updates and you should have no problem.
    Then Google for adding Windows Media Center to Windows 10, find and download the installer. Follow the instructions carefully to install WMC in Windows 10. That's it!

spapakons, Oct 6, 2015
  5. Omega1 Win User
    Sorry, I forgot to include this pic when I last posted... This is what I have.... and it is 32 bit..

Omega1, Oct 7, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Then you are good to go. Proceed with the upgrade to 10. I hope your RAM isn't greater than 4GB otherwise you need to format and install 64-bit Windows 8.1 first. 32-bit have no BSOD (like older windows) when working with more than 4GB RAM, but only about 3.25GB is usable. The rest is just non-taken advantage of with 32-bit Windows.

spapakons, Oct 7, 2015
  7. Omega1 Win User
    I finally got Windows 10 Pro to install a few days... and for the fews days just watched to see if anything stopped working or if Windows stayed activated.

Almost everything worked out with no problems so far.... the only real problem... well not really a problem, I guess you could say it was more annoying then anything else, is this... has anyone had their computer turn itself back on after you had turned it off ?

It was an easy fix, but I never had it happen until Windows 10....

Omega1, Oct 9, 2015
  8. Win10 Downgraded Win8.1 Pro To Home Edition

Yes, windows 8, 8.1, and even 7 I think

DustSailor, Oct 9, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    The computer probably was in standby mode (sleep), not completely off. So some event (like Windows Update) woke it up. Another explanation would be setting a specific hour to switch on automatically at the BIOS, but since you didn't do that the first case is more probable.

spapakons, Oct 9, 2015
  10. Omega1 Win User
    This is the first time I've had it happen.... and I've never heard of it happening before...

I don't know if it would have been in sleep mode or not, but I do know I was clicking on Power/Sutdown and the computer would, I'll say, shutdown....

But as I said it was an easy fix, I just disabled it under Device Manager/Network Adapters/Power Adapters... and it's fine ever since...

At some point today or tomorrow, I'm going to try a clean install of Windows 10...

Omega1, Oct 15, 2015
  11. I currently have two computers that exhibit similar behavior. One sometimes won't turn on after going to sleep (force restart), and a different computer entirely will not shut down. I've spent many hours on the two. The kicker is a have matched each of them to many identical computers in hardware and software (in a business), and the other computers work flawlessly.. just not those two.

I can only guess something went wrong with their hardware, but too far gone to RMA. The behavior is the same when a new OS is installed.

I guess blaming ol' MSoft is probably not the way to go in my case.

DustSailor, Oct 15, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    Have you tried updating the chipset drivers? Maybe some device doesn't work properly because of Microsoft generic drivers. Try updating the chipset drivers directly from Intel/AMD and see if that makes any difference.

spapakons, Oct 15, 2015
  13. Win10 Downgraded Win8.1 Pro To Home Edition

^Thanks mate. But yea, all the latest drivers.

DustSailor, Oct 15, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    I have not read this whole thread so this may have already been suggested, but turn off Fast Startup. It can negatively affect both shutdown and startup.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Ztruker, Oct 16, 2015
  15. You know, I kept reading about that on this forum, don't know why I never thought to try it out on these computers. So far got one off of fast startup, but kept secure boot enabled (using UEFI). The other will have to wait till I find an appropriate time to restart the computer. Thanks for the tip!

I'll mention if I notice any changes.

DustSailor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 Downgraded Win8.1 Pro To Home Edition - Similar Threads - Win10 Downgraded Win8

2. Downgrading from Windows 10 Pro to Home edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downgrading from Windows 10 Pro to Home edition: I some how accidentally installed Windows 10 Pro instead of home edition that I have key/license for. I have tried doing the Registry edits in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion and the other path as well but when I run the...
  3. Is it possible to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to the Home edition?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is it possible to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to the Home edition?: I have a computer that has Windows 10 Pro that I want to donate to a charitable foundation that houses and educates at-risk teenagers. The Director does not want the students to have access to the Pro version of Windows 10; all his existing computers have the Home version...
  4. Downgrade Win10 Pro to Home - key eligibility?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downgrade Win10 Pro to Home - key eligibility?: I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro ~5 years ago. My Windows 7 Pro key came from MSDNAA when I was in university. Since getting that Win 7 key was so long ago, I don't recall why exactly I have Pro (whether I chose it, or that was my only option). I've seen...
  5. Downgrading Windows 10 Pro Edition To Home Edition...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Downgrading Windows 10 Pro Edition To Home Edition...: I recently just finished building my dream pc & managed to get Windows 10 on it without any actual "issues". The only thing I didn't realize until later on was that I originally intended to get Windows 10Home edition & instead I have the Windows 10 Pro edition which I don't...
  6. Downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home, backup effect

Downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home, backup effect: I plan to downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home for personal reasons and will be doing a system image backup. My question is since its a full backup of system, will the downgrade from Pro to Home affect anything? Majority of the programs and bulk of storage is in HDD...
  7. Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions

Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions: Hi, I'm currently having a weird activation problem with Windows 10, and I was considering reverting to Windows 8 and start the process again to see if that would fix things. I tried to use the 'revert to previous build' but it said it couldn't locate the required files or...
  8. Downgrade from win pro to home edition

Downgrade from win pro to home edition: Hi. I got key for windows home edition, I took my pc to shop for repair but it is reformatted, they installed pro edition. Is it possible to downgrade to home edition ?. If yes how can I do this, if not what is solution ?. Please help. Thanks. 67557
  9. How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition

How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition: So my Laptop came with the home edition and I decided to upgrade to pro and tried to activate windows, but it said my key was invalid, so now I want to go back to home edition. I tried clean installing by using the media cleaner tool but it keeps reverting back to pro. Please...
  10. Downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home

Downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home: Hi all, Just some kind of confirmation/affirmation to be honest here. I have recently acquired a Surface Pro 3 (i5-256GB model), had Win8, promptly upgraded to Win10. However after playing a while I found a few of the 'Pro' features an... annoyance... and nothing I...