Windows 10: Win10 "File History" - include with Carbonite backup or not?

Discus and support Win10 "File History" - include with Carbonite backup or not? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, all: In addition to local, offline backups/images to USB EHDs, I also use Carbonite, with unlimited storage capacity. And, since I have a 2 TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MoxieMomma, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Win10 "File History" - include with Carbonite backup or not?

Hi, all:

In addition to local, offline backups/images to USB EHDs, I also use Carbonite, with unlimited storage capacity.
    And, since I have a 2 TB HDD data drive, I have Win10 File History enabled (a feature new to me in Win10).

Carbonite is set to back up all the native data files on the D:\ drive.

My question: is it worth the extra bandwidth and storage space to let Carbonite back up the "File History" folder, too?
    (It's essentially a backup of a backup.)

Thanks,
    MM

:)

MoxieMomma, Jul 17, 2016

2. Possible hacking attack

Thanks ~ I think I figured out what the differences are:

=> You're right, the Carbonite 39.3 GB total included files from the previous backed-up version of the laptop, which are available for 30 days after you transfer the account to a new computer (or operating system). As of today, my online Carbonite backup
    is 17 GB, which is much closer to the FileHistory total. (Because Carbonite holds deleted files for 30 days, there will always be some overlap.)

As always, your advice was helpful, and I really appreciate it!

VG

VickiGraff, Jul 17, 2016
  3. History backup settings conflict

Trying to do a History backup to external USB flash drive. Using the "Settings" app to choose folders and files to include in the backup and files and folders to exclude. When the backup is completed, the backup doesn't backup those folders I chose in
    "Settings" but does backup those locations shown in the "Control Panel" History backup settings: "Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites". Why is the file History backup defaulting to the Control Panel settings and is there a way to get the History backup
    to those files and folders I've selected in the Settings app? I recently upgraded all the way from Vista to Windows7 to Windows 10 but I understand that the new "History" backup has no relationship to my past backups under the previous versions of Windows.

PwrUsr&EE, Jul 17, 2016
  4. Win10 "File History" - include with Carbonite backup or not?

Update:

FWIW Carbonite does NOT recommend including the "FileHistory" folder in their backup.

Rationale: Including it could create VSS conflicts/issues, by having Carbonite and the FileHistory app working to backup the same file (simultaneously). It could cause Carbonite to stall or glitch.

So, I have removed that folder from the Carbonite backup and will just have Carbonite back up the native data files.

I thought I would post the information for anyone else who might be interested.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 17, 2016
Thema:

Win10 "File History" - include with Carbonite backup or not?

1. Win10 "File History" - include with Carbonite backup or not? - Similar Threads - Win10 File History

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  4. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  6. Backup - File History won't include the most recently updated files of a folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup - File History won't include the most recently updated files of a folder: Hello Microsoft Community, I experiencing a problem with the Backup option. File History won't backup all files of a designated folder. As you can see, it should back up the entire "Documents" with all its subfolders. [ATTACH] But it only backs up about 95 % of the...
  7. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  8. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  9. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"
  10. File History. What are the defaults included in a backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History. What are the defaults included in a backup?: Hi I’ve been trying Win 10 File History and am most confused. First I did a Test run and selected just one folder (Test Folder) to be backed up to an external drive. After the backup had been running for about 5 minutes & my Test Folder was only about 2Mbs in size I looked...