Windows 10: Win10 forgets assigned default programs

Discus and support Win10 forgets assigned default programs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; It's a real PITA. Not only is it extremely difficult to assign default programs (either no option for "default" or it just doesn't take my choice) for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jjensson, Aug 15, 2015.

1. jjensson Win User

Win10 forgets assigned default programs

It's a real PITA. Not only is it extremely difficult to assign default programs (either no option for "default" or it just doesn't take my choice) for different media, but once assigned, Win10 later forgets the default program and opens it with another.

For instance: I have assigned all audio file types (mp3, wav, m3u etc.) to open with Winamp. I've done this by manually assigning a default program for every single file type in "Control Panel - Default Programs - Associate a file type...", because every other option failed.

Later, after a reboot, it still shows "Winamp" in the list of file types. But Win10 now opens m3u-files with VLC player! *Mad Is this a known problem? Is there any solution to this? I'm going hardcore, with registry keys etc - only need the info. *Nerd

And 2nd question: some file types are not listed under "Control Panel - Default Programs - Associate a file type...". How can i assign these missing file types to a program?

Any help highly appreciated.

:)

jjensson, Aug 15, 2015
  2. mir mahdi Win User

Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps

Hi

I have a problem with the assigned default programs in my win 10.

It forgets to open images and pdf files with the programs that I have assigned and always ask me to choose the default programs.

mir mahdi, Aug 15, 2015
  3. DJohnson1 Win User
    Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps

12/21/17 - I'm now having the same issue, ever since a major W10 update last week (prompted by my company). I want to use Irfan View to view all my JPG images, and I have been doing so for years. But, W10 now will NOT remember or keep my settings, it always
    reverts back to the standard MS image view, which is not what I want. I have even chosen Chrome as my default browser, but W10 will not keep that setting.

MS needs to fix this ASAP.

DJohnson1, Aug 15, 2015
  4. jjensson Win User

Never mind, got it working.

jjensson, Aug 16, 2015
  5. jhponder Win User
    How did you solve this problem? It is still affecting me.

jhponder, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 forgets assigned default programs - Similar Threads - Win10 forgets assigned

2. Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center forgets assignments

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center forgets assignments: I assign "My Favorites" keys 2 and 3 to use macros I created. After a while sometimes the same day, sometimes after a few days, the assignments - one of them or both - are forgotten and the keys return to their original assignment which is opening the 2nd and 3rd apps from...
  3. Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center forgets assignments

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center forgets assignments: I assign "My Favorites" keys 2 and 3 to use macros I created. After a while sometimes the same day, sometimes after a few days, the assignments - one of them or both - are forgotten and the keys return to their original assignment which is opening the 2nd and 3rd apps from...
  4. Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps: Hi, This question exact same title and issue is the same as someone posted 27 January 2018.Can you imagine!Three years later and you microsoft programmers still didn't act!For example if I associate Mp3 with MPC-BE portable it is set as default app but once in a while MS...
  5. assigning a default program for opening .bat files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    assigning a default program for opening .bat files: see images folks. why can't I in win 10? I want notepad++. possible? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/assigning-a-default-program-for-opening-bat-files/1f5a9749-b1eb-405b-9c9a-3ec543112987
  6. Programs forgetting monitor/positions

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs forgetting monitor/positions: I am running dual monitors both through DP and I use my second monitor for my system info and other information. My problem is when ever my pc goes to sleep or the monitors turn off if i walk away for 20 min all the programs i put on the 2nd monitor reset to the main monitor...
  7. Default Browser assignment

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Browser assignment: I use Microsoft Edge, but also Google Chrome and Firefox. I would like the option to assign NO default for my browsers, rather than having one and having to either copy addresses or re-make links in order to open desktop links, perhaps with the "open with" option available...
  8. Assigning default browser

Assigning default browser: Need help with assigning default programs. Upgraded to windows 10 Pro 64 bit from Win 7 64 bit. My browser of choice is Firefox. When I open Firefox, I am told it is not my default browser. When I try to set it to be default, Settings opens to allow me to make my choice....
  9. Win10 refuses to set a default program

Win10 refuses to set a default program: New HP Envy laptop. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default program for .txt files. I go to the usual place in Settings, choose to set by file association, scroll down to .txt, click to see the choices, select Notepad++, and...Windows leaves it at Notepad. A conspiracy...
  10. How to add app to Win10 default programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add app to Win10 default programs: Hi, I installed some softwares (for audio and vedio) in my Win10 Laptop, which are not shown in Default program list. I wonder how to add these installed programs to the Default program list. Thanks. 65898

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 forget standard apps setup