Windows 10: Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

Discus and support Win10 free upgrade after reformatting in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Oniisan, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Oniisan Win User

Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC]

We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win 10 free upgrade when it was given out. After formatting, will we still be able to upgrade to win10 for free or do we have to buy it after?

:)

Oniisan, Feb 5, 2017
  2. Eureka!!! Win User

Win10 re-update after clean install of Win7

I upgraded to Win10 during the free upgrade year. Recently though, I was having HD performance issues that a Win10 reset didn't fix so I reformatted my HD and reinstalled Win7 Pro from the disc that came with my PC. Now it's well past the free upgrade
    period, but this computer is already a registered Win10 device. How do I get the Win10 installation back again?

Eureka!!!, Feb 5, 2017
  3. how to restore free upgrade win10

my os was reverted back to windows 8 after my laptop was reformatted by customer service. How can I return it back to windows 10?

I bought my laptop 3 years ago initially it had windows 8 then 8.1 then I upgraded it for free to Win10.

please help how to restore it since the free upgrade is not available anymore

reubencabrera, Feb 5, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    It should still work -- after installing W10 simply enter the W8 key.
    You only need to do that once as after that a digital entitlement will be created on the Ms servers.

Note the upgrade was working YESTERDAY (sun 5 Feb) -- how long this continues working for we've no idea but I should try and activate ASAP in case this method stops working !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You don't need to upgrade again, you can re-install Windows 10 by itself and it will activate - so long as you install the same version of Windows 10 you had on the computer before.

NavyLCDR, Feb 5, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

also if you got the free upgrade but didn't apply it (i.e you haven't installed W10 on that machine) then an INITIAL clean install will still work using the W8 key

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017
  7. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and see what it says. Take not of the Edition, and if it says activated with a digital License. If it says activated with a digital license you can clean install that same edition, skip entering a key, and it will activate with the digital license. It's just that easy. *Wink

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting - Similar Threads - Win10 free upgrade

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Win10 free upgrade version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 free upgrade version: After Win10 download, pc settings needs to be reset manually again. But Win10 is demanding to reactive Windows, What? Windows isn't Activated, pressed the button to activate - nothing happens? >2nd question, after upgrading to win10, system is rejecting owner to enter Devise...
  5. Reformat upgraded win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reformat upgraded win10 laptop: Good day! I have a laptop that started with Windows 8. Then I upgraded to 8.1 then to 10 after the update was offered. However, I hate the bloatware included with the laptop for it takes quite some time for the laptop to be fully functional (normal Asus bloatware + VPN +...
  6. Installing Win10 after the free upgrade period ends

Installing Win10 after the free upgrade period ends: Hello, This is my first time here and couldn't find an answer after a few minutes of searching. Sorry if this has been asked already... Anyway, I have an HP laptop that came with windows 8 and has a ~20Gb recovery partition that re-installs Win8 and all the bundled...
  7. If I upgrade now, can I reformat and update later for free?

If I upgrade now, can I reformat and update later for free?: If I upgrade my desktop computer now from 8.1 to 10, and in a year or so have to reformat my HDD, what will I have to do to reinstall 10? Will I have to install 8.1 and then pay to upgrade to 10? Will I be able to reformat and then reinstall 10 for free? 25231
  8. Reformatting a PC that is running a free upgrade Windows 10 Pro

Reformatting a PC that is running a free upgrade Windows 10 Pro: I upgraded to Win 10 about a year ago on Microsoft's free upgrade program. I get the impression that my PC is now full of all sorts of unwanted crud - it has slowed to a crawl, and no amount of scans, cleaners, etc seem to help. I want to completely scrub the drives (I have...
  9. Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10: How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways. Hopefully MS will include a discount for us early buyers or for those...
  10. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i reinstall win 10 free upgrade after reformatting windows 7