Windows 10: Win10? Having Problems? It's YOUR fault - so it seems.

Discus and support Win10? Having Problems? It's YOUR fault - so it seems. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; *Party According to an Insider on my rather tongue-in-cheek thread here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-0595bf359b33 (link is external)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Taffy078, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Taffy078 Win User

Win10? Having Problems? It's YOUR fault - so it seems.

*Party According to an Insider on my rather tongue-in-cheek thread here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-0595bf359b33 (link is external)

all the problems I'm having - you too - are OUR fault. Your fault, my fault and anyone other than Microsoft's fault!!

I'm losing that match 0-1 at the moment so if you've time to pop in and comment that would be good!

As my alter ego Victor Meldrew would say "I don't believe it!" *092

:)

Taffy078, Mar 10, 2016
  2. musica31 Win User

Code not working (like so many others it seems)

Hi, sorry to hear this. We assumed you already contacted your local support, correct? What have they informed you?

musica31, Mar 10, 2016
  3. Screw me once it your fault.

Sorry about spelling but I cannot see to read what I write. I have an IQ about 145 or so I was told. Means little everyone is good at something. I am truly sorry for the spelling. What I have written may seem to be off target with Win 10. It is not. It is
    on point.

I need to vanish and blend in now.

Thank You

johnny b.goode, Mar 10, 2016
  4. Taffy078 Win User

PS My NEW Win10 laptop was screwed up by the January WUs - I lost my Start icon - and all of my documents and pictures (all backed-up). The February and March 1st WUs also caused collateral damage and I still checking this week's WUs.

And it's my fault for not adequately preparing?

By the way I very much respect the Insider concerned - he's been very helpful ad he knows his stuff - but on this we disagree

Edited - I'll change my signature tomorrow. I've got 10586.164

Taffy078, Mar 10, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, unfortunately I'm not sure what you're asking (no I've not read the thread, just going by the title which might not attract so many views).

Suggestion- as Win 10 is evidently immature and vulnerable in some respects - but very stable for me and many others I guess- you need to act defensively. Inasamuch as you don't prepare for problems, it is 'your' fault.

Here's how:
    1. use system restore (disabled by default in win 10).
    Set up a scheduled task to set a daily restore point.
    2. use disk imaging and update your image regularly/at key points.
    That gives you
    - backups
    - a second chance
    - quick restoration without tech help
    - the ability to deal with your disk failing or replacing/upgrading it

That addresses
    And it's my fault for not adequately preparing?
    at least.. tho' it may not be the answer you were hoping for.. *chuckle

dalchina, Mar 10, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    I am running Windows 10 in a virtual partition and that seems to be OK. Maybe the problems people have come from faulty drivers. In virtual you would not have that problem.

7. Taffy078 Win User
    Thanks for this but I daren't try any other workaround at the moment - it's been suggested that that will invalidate the guarantee on my three months-old laptop. I waiting for HP to get back.

Briefly a reply from an Insider said this amongst other things:

"There have been well over 100,000,000 installations at this point, and of the number of people who have had problems, a significant proportion has brought the problems on themselves in one way or another. Microsoft hasn't done enough to warn people of the risks inherent in in-place OS upgrades, but too many people have failed to prepare properly. Ignorance of the populace isn't Microsoft's fault in the end."

I'm waiting for his reply to these questions of mine:

"(1) Did Microsoft release version 1511 on the unsuspecting public knowing that it was full of bugs that had been pointed out to them by their experts six months earlier (as reported in other forums), bugs that had not been ironed out? Yes or No.
    (2) What steps could new customers have possibly taken per your comments "has brought the problems on themselves in one way or another . . . but too many people have failed to prepare properly." or to put it in plain English, how can anyone know what they don't know?
    (3) Does Microsoft know how many PC have been screwed up by this Win10 debacle - preferably broken down oops, split between new and upgrades? 'If they haven't got this info how can they possibly look at solutions?"

Taffy078, Mar 11, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

If your comment is about 1511, that was November last year. And yes, the well-known problems (and subsequently for different reasons) in upgrading from the previous build were (at least)
    - associations being reset to MS default
    - system restore being turned off
    - for a few, desktop content being lost
    - sometimes programs uninstalled without warning where these were deemed incompatible

The strong recommendation before such major upgrades is to ensure you create or update your disk image.

However that does somewhat imply that
    a. you had control of Windows updates
    b. knew that particular update used an entirely new procedure (which in fact has its definite merits and is one thing I regard as an advantage).

By default, the update would be applied automatically. Which I definitely regard as undesirable.

Given that, it's very hard to know how people in general would have been adequately aware, and hence potentially able to prepare.

===============
    Since MS does not set a restore point before updates in Win 10 (system restore is off by default) again where things go wrong your only recourse would be an in-place upgrade repair install. Which is not sthg of which you are instinctively aware.

Otherwise (for non major build upgrades) if you happen to have enabled system restore and have restore points available, that would work.

Otherwise, you have either
    - used Win 10's rather minimal image creation
    or
    - used a 3rd party program (disk imaging or sthg like Farstone Total Recovery or Rollback RX)

It is certainly not correct that all problems experienced are solely to do with users making silly decisions or mistakes.

For example, setting hyperlink defaults requires manual action. Setting defaults as MS expects does not include that.

Changing some privacy settings results in strange behaviour and the widely reported 'Some settings are managed by your organisation' and can sometimes break Cortana in mysterious ways.

Sometimes default associations are reset for various odd reasons, nothing to do with user errors. Sthg I'd not been aware of prior to Win 10.

Etc Etc

dalchina, Mar 11, 2016
  9. Taffy078 Win User
    This is very helpful and I'll mention it regarding Upgraded PC. With new PCs, the Major retailers should have done more. One of the UK Giants is advertising a huge Sale. I Facebooked them that I was particularly interested in buying a new Win10 and I asked were there any problems with it. No, they replied! So new customers are being conned.

Taffy078, Mar 11, 2016
  10. Archie123 Win User
    absolutely yes you cant upgrade to a new OS and expect everything to run flawlessly it just diesnt work that way , upgrade installs are doomed to fail from the start everyone should clean install , some drivers in particular will remain with an upgrade install why anyone expects this to be a good idea i have no idea. That said are are millions out there who just dont know or dont care to find out and its those who are having issues. MS are all but ramming this down everyones throats without the proper information , i mean if MS say its going to be ok it is . . . isnt it?? They should recommend either a clean install are more carefull planning. Asw was mentioned in that thread there have been millions of upgrades and compared the percentage of failiures is tiny , so in that respect MS aint gonna give two hoots simple *Wink

Archie123, Mar 11, 2016
  11. Taffy078 Win User
    Thanks Archie123. I'll buy in to your comments about Upgrades and that MS aren't doing enough to warn customers but what about a brand-new PC? Shouldn't someone buying a new Windows10 PC have the right to expect it to work, and to not have it screwed-up by a WU? My new PC is now suffering from all the same issues as my upgraded one!

Taffy078, Mar 12, 2016
  12. Funny, how he defies your position with a graph showing the increased number of Windows 10 installations.
    Guess, he forgot to mentioned forced Windows 10 Upgrades, which are common people unable to stop. *Rolleyes

Then again, yes, it is people, who screw up 10, you are not supposed to install drivers/apps, just use it as it is, it is perfect.

TairikuOkami, Mar 12, 2016
  13. Taffy078 Win User

Taffy078, Mar 13, 2016
  14. The new Start, seriously? The new Start is there only because people were begging for it, until MS finally returned it. The new GUI is completely screwed up, because half of the settings are in the classic menu, which works perfectly fine, did since Windows 95, and half is in the new shell. I have also found out by an accident, that the new shell fails due to timeout settings (see bellow), which when set too low, result in apps failing, apps are Settings and Start, not to mention icons like power or sound, that keep disappearing (crashing) as well. And MS wants to migrate all the settings into the failing shell, that is so ridiculous, that it does not even require a comment. MS prefers to to break, what is not broken. *chuckle

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "5000" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "10000" /f
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "10000" /f

TairikuOkami, Mar 13, 2016
  15. Taffy078 Win User
    Thank you for this! Much appreciated. *cake

Taffy078, Mar 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Win10? Having Problems? It's YOUR fault - so it seems. - Similar Threads - Win10 Having Problems

2. I have a fault

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a fault: I get occasional occurences of a fault where the underlines on the task bar, that show a program is running, disappear. The thumbnails when hovering over task bar icons are blurred. This is accompanied by a change in the font, in File Explorer, to a bold font. It is sometimes...
  3. I have a fault

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a fault: I get occasional occurences of a fault where the underlines on the task bar, that show a program is running, disappear. The thumbnails when hovering over task bar icons are blurred. This is accompanied by a change in the font, in File Explorer, to a bold font. It is sometimes...
  4. I have a fault

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. So I have an issue that seems to be from a Windows update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So I have an issue that seems to be from a Windows update...: Soo... I just installed the latest Windows 10 Home update, and now two files are broken. They can't be detected by the system, and are actually present. Even worse, I can't play Minecraft Java now It apparently only affected this one particular app, no matter how many times I...
  6. My NET Framework seems to have problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My NET Framework seems to have problems: Hi there! I'm having a hard time installing the Discord and other applications on my laptop Windows 10. It says that I need to download .NET 4.5 or higher but it keeps failing. So I tried to install the latest version which is .NET 4.8 but then it said that I have already the...
  7. So I’m having a problem with downloads

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So I’m having a problem with downloads: I downloaded something that wasn’t a file and I accidentally opened it with internet explorer and I can’t make it open it with what it was originally supposed to open with. submitted by /u/VIZION333 [link] [comments]...
  8. ..And so on to the problem of installing Skype on Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ..And so on to the problem of installing Skype on Win10: Ho hum.... Several issues here. Firstly, when I attempt to download Skype it downloads the installation file just fine. Opening that exe file everything seems good. Uncheck the bing and ie browser crap, accept the license and away we go...and go....and go....and... It...
  9. BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault

BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault: Hi Guys, Been battling with a BSOD for a while that according to blue screen viewer is being caused by hal.dll. Traced this to mean some sort of hardware error so have tried cleaning out PC to eliminate and heat issues and run memory tests a couple of times which have...
  10. Various BSODs - ntoskrnl.exe seems to be at fault

Various BSODs - ntoskrnl.exe seems to be at fault: Hi there, I've recently built a new computer, and everything seemed to be working fine up until a few weeks ago when I got a BSOD - okay no biggie I'll look it up and, oh, a different BSOD. This was the beginning. Since then I can't seem to use my computer for long...