Windows 10: Win10 Home Explorer.exe Crashing with long file name folders

Discus and support Win10 Home Explorer.exe Crashing with long file name folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is kinda funny but i need to post this. whenever i tried to browse map drive and all folders have different sub folders and it has a long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zaldhie, Sep 28, 2016.

1. zaldhie Win User

Win10 Home Explorer.exe Crashing with long file name folders

This is kinda funny but i need to post this. whenever i tried to browse map drive and all folders have different sub folders and it has a long filenames also. When i tried to browse and locate the files under each folders when i finally locate the file (pdf file) when i open it will refresh automatically (explorer.exe) and cannot open the file and i tried again but still same thing happened.

i need your help guys.

thank you

:)

zaldhie, Sep 28, 2016
  2. IAgree123 Win User

Error 0xc0000374 (explorer.exe fault) after Anniversary Update

Can confirm seeing same behavior on multiple machines (various vendors). All anniversary and completely up-to-date.

Pre-anniversary update all works fine and/or an error message is displayed when working with long file names,
    post anniversary update the experience is an explorer.exe crash, loss of all file explorer windows.

Experience can simply be replicated by mapping a network drive and accessing a long folder path, then trying to copy a file within the long path. As soon as interaction outside the folder takes place the explorer.exe crash occurs

Problem signature:

P1: explorer.exe

P2: 10.0.14393.0

P3: 57899981

P4: StackHash_5213

P5: 10.0.14393.0

P6: 578997b2

P7: c0000374

P8: PCH_CE_FROM_ntdll+0x00000000000A59A4

P9:

P10:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899981

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x578997b2

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000f73e3

Faulting process id: 0x1614

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1fd2b123e2953

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: c38c2f31-f9cf-4dba-87cb-004f71e90e55

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Doing the long file/folder name fix using gpedit.msc or regedit has no impact, presumably file explorer is not yet manifest enabled to make use of this setting. Regardless, Anniversary behaves differently to pre-anniversary and it is clearly not desirable
    that working with long file/folder names results in a crash, as opposed to a warning message!!

Please advise on suitable fix.

IAgree123, Sep 28, 2016
  3. WNov Win User
    Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Same here. Windows explorer crashes and restarts when it comes to very long file names. Even just accessing the directory path where the the file with the long name is can cause it to crash. Sorting by columns, enabling preview pane or details pane, using
    'Details' folder view or changing folder view type also crashes Explorer with long file names. Sometimes, it crashes when copying, moving or renaming files with long file names.

I enabled Win32 long paths but didn't make a difference. Does even Windows explorer support this? On Windows 7 this used to happen but very rarely. With Windows 10 it is very frequent and even more so with the Anniversary Update. With Free Commander
    can access files with long file names without problems.

Thema:

Win10 Home Explorer.exe Crashing with long file name folders

1. Win10 Home Explorer.exe Crashing with long file name folders - Similar Threads - Win10 Home Explorer

2. Home Folder In File Explorer Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home Folder In File Explorer Crashing: Hi! Can someone helped me with this?The only folder that crashed is the "Home" folder. I don't have issues on any other folders. I have tried clearing the cache, restarted the explorer with task manager, but nothing works. I also tried this one but, the results is not what I...
  3. Home Folder In File Explorer Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home Folder In File Explorer Crashing: Hi! Can someone helped me with this?The only folder that crashed is the "Home" folder. I don't have issues on any other folders. I have tried clearing the cache, restarted the explorer with task manager, but nothing works. I also tried this one but, the results is not what I...
  4. Home Folder In FIle Explorer Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home Folder In FIle Explorer Crashing: Hi, I recently had an update, and now have this "HOME" folder, however, every time I open it, it crashes/restarts the file explorer. I have thankfully changed the option of when opening file explorer, it opens on 'My PC', instead of 'Home', otherwise it was very frustrating...
  5. Home Folder In FIle Explorer Crashing

Home Folder In FIle Explorer Crashing: Hi, I recently had an update, and now have this "HOME" folder, however, every time I open it, it crashes/restarts the file explorer. I have thankfully changed the option of when opening file explorer, it opens on 'My PC', instead of 'Home', otherwise it was very frustrating...
  6. File name too long for destination folder

File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  7. Files and folders names in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files and folders names in explorer: Letters in the name of files or folders in explorer are separated. For example, look at the screenshots:[ATTACH][ATTACH] As you can see, the name is written as a single word, but, when i save it, it separates. How to solve this problem? I have the latest Windows 10 2004...
  8. Unable to set long file names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to set long file names in File Explorer: Hi Team, Good day, Let me introduce my self, my name is mr Dedi from Jakarta-Indonesia. I have problem to save file with a long name character in a folder. Everytime I have save the file with a long name character in a folder, once I want to open it, they can not be...
  9. Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.: Hallo, today i downloaded a cab File from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...l(R)%2082567LM , in the Download Folder. When i open the folder, the explorer hangs and i can only finish the process. So that the explorer crashes. Original name of the file is...
  10. Long File Name Crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File Name Crashes: Hi, I appreciate that there are a lot of queries regarding the file names exceeding 260 characters, but when i try to open my folders to rename the files to shorter names I don't get the chance to do this as the window just shuts down again before I can do anything. Is there...
Tags: