Windows 10: Win10: How to set up external HDD to be used for system image backups

Discus and support Win10: How to set up external HDD to be used for system image backups in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do I set up an external HDD to be used for system image backups? For example, specify how many images to keep, schedule the backup, etc. also, can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Blitzkow, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Blitzkow Win User

Win10: How to set up external HDD to be used for system image backups

How do I set up an external HDD to be used for system image backups? For example, specify how many images to keep, schedule the backup, etc. also, can I use the drive for anything else other than image copies?

:)

Blitzkow, Aug 30, 2015
  2. DrJim199 Win User

Image backup error -- Windows backup failed to create the shadow copy ... (0x80780034)

I'm following all the instructions to create a full system image backup on an external HDD. The backup seems to run fine until the end, but when it tries to create the shadow copy, I get -- Windows backup failed to create the shadow copy ... (0x80780034).
    Additional info says the shadow copy provider had error (0x80042306). Seems like this errors are ongoing all over the web since 2012 or so, but I have been unable to find a solution. Several posts say that a special shadow partition is needed on the external
    HDD, but I have no idea how to do that.

I just upgraded to Win10 from an XP machine where I had full image backups going for a long time using Acronis True Image 2009. I would prefer to use the internal Win10 backup if I can get it to work like it says in the "manual". Anyone have a good fix for
    this. If a showdow partition is needed, can it be created in Win10?

Seems to be a lot of 3rd party providers hawking software to fix this problem, but I hope MS has a way.

All help appreciated ...... DrJim

DrJim199, Aug 30, 2015
  3. Zebbers Win User
    Install Windows 10 backup (.VHDX) on Windows 8.1

Update:

I managed to create a recovery drive on USB using the tool in windows.

Booted up from USB,selected "recover using system image" and then using the same steps i do not get any error,as of now i'm recovering fully everything (that win10 backup with all apps and drivers and files) from external HDD - so everything in the folder
    in first post screen is fine.

Win10: How to set up external HDD to be used for system image backups :)

Zebbers, Aug 30, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

Do you have an laptop or a desktop computer ?

sn00ker, Aug 30, 2015
  5. sn00ker Win User
    Then what you need to get is an external usb hard drive encloser . Once you have such you would make an back up image to this external drive . You can use Windows but their are better third party software companies . I been a long time user of Acronis True Image but I just switch to the free version of Marcium Reflect . I will provide a website for it below . You can use your external hard drive to store whatever you like and it doesn't just have to be a back up images, beside that the backup image wouldn't take up all your spare on the external drive, well usually it wouldn't, it depends how much data you have on the main drive . Normally you would get a external drive big enough to store all your data including backups. If I forgot something I'm sure people here will answer whatever questions you might have . For the website just click on Macrium there below

sn00ker, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Blitzkow Win User
    Thanks snooker. I'm interested in the free version of Macrium. I found several sites that have it but they all seem to push other software along with it that I don't want on my machine. Is there a clean download somewhere I can use?

Blitzkow, Aug 31, 2015
  7. sn00ker Win User
    Did you try the Download Now option ? I did and have no extra junk trying to get installed

sn00ker, Aug 31, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Hi,

Just to add to all of the above and with due regard to your original questions

How often you do backups depends on your personal requirements. So, if for example, you had sensitive and essential new documents that could cause financial loss if they were lost then daily auto backups would be good. Or you could do manual backups when you save a whole load of new family photos and videos on your system. Or you could do auto-backup every month just for piece of mind. Or you could do something else that suits your needs.

Either way, it is always a good idea to make an image before major upgrades. This is evidenced by all the angry folks making posts over the last month due to data loss after win10 upgrade

Edit:
    Of course you can. I know lots of people who partition the external disk. One partition for backups and the other for some type of data. The problem is, they don't listen to me when I tell them of the risk of having data and backup on the same disk. "It defeats the purpose" I say. If the external drive fails then you will lose the data saved as the backup was on the same disk. A backup disk, in my opinion, should be only for backups and for nothing else. "I should have listened" they say to me, after having lost their data when the dual partitioned backup drive failed.

WhyMe, Aug 31, 2015
  9. NUS
    Nus Win User
    You don't need to do anything to the drive besides plug it in.

Use Macrium Reflect Free and choose a folder on the external drive as the save location, that's it.

You configure all that stuff in Macrium Reflect when you make the backup, it's all very straightforward.

Yes, you can use it like any other drive.

10. Gary Win User
    You can use any Hard Drive but it is best to use an External one.

11. If you have USB3 on your laptop make sure you get a USB3 ext hdd, makes all the difference in speed.

Torquemada, Aug 31, 2015
  12. Blitzkow Win User
    Thanks to all for input. I used the DOWNLOAD NOW from Macrium site. They would have included some PE components had I not clicked their options button and selected Macrium only. Regarding use of the external HDD for purposes other than backup. I agree I should only use it for system images. Regarding how often to do backups. I signed up with Backblaze to handle everything except system images. My HDD has very low volatility so infrequent backups are adequate. I will likely have more questions as time goes on. This forum is a great place for help. Thanks.

Blitzkow, Sep 2, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

Hi

The PE components are Windows Preinstallation Environment. You can use this to create a bootable Macrium recovery disk to rescue the situation if/when you are unable to access your system. It would mean you can easily restore your system or files from backups using a bootable Macrium usb flash drive if hdd data was corrupted for instance

WhyMe, Sep 2, 2015
  14. Blitzkow Win User
    To WHYME: Creating and maintaining system images and doing restores is new to me. I know these things exist but always had a tech person handling it. Now I'm doing it myself. Never heard of a Windows Pre-Installation Environment. If I don't download these components would I be able to do a complete restore if it became necessary?

Blitzkow, Sep 2, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    WhyMe, Sep 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Win10: How to set up external HDD to be used for system image backups - Similar Threads - Win10 set external

2. OneDrive or External HDD for backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    OneDrive or External HDD for backup?: I'm trying to keep subscription costs and/or hardware costs down, so I would like to find a backup strategy that doesn't involve both, or at least doesn't cost too much. I would like to do daily / weekly incremental backups, and image my drive once a month or so. From what...
  3. Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC: I have created a systems image on an external HDD using the old Windows 7 Backup/ Restore Setting which still exists in Windows 10. However when trying to restore the image from the PC itself, the restore settings cannot find the WindowsSystemsImage Folder on the external...
  4. How to use Systems Image Backup feature in Windows 10?

How to use Systems Image Backup feature in Windows 10?: I want to back up my data of all the accounts at once present in my laptop. How to use the System Image Backup feature to backup data of all personal accounts in my laptop?...
  5. Backup to external HDD on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to external HDD on network: My PC OS is Windows 10 v17763. The OS is installed on a SSD drive. D, E and F SATA drives are also on the computer. The PC is connected by Ethernet to a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router by ethernet. A 4Tb external HDD is connected to the Netgear router by USB. This drive is...
  6. backup on external hdd on router

backup on external hdd on router: i have an external hdd on my router and i want to make a system image backup there, but i can't find it when i have to choose a network location. what should i do?...
  7. How do I create and use a System Image backup?

How do I create and use a System Image backup?: I made one back in the day but when I tried to use it it wasn't like back in the day when you put in the Windows repair disk... (It's been a while I don't remember the confusion.) I know you burn it onto a DVD but once it's made and you need to use it to repair the system how...
  8. Win10 System Image Restore unable to detect backup

Win10 System Image Restore unable to detect backup: Good Afternoon, I have been having a bit of difficulty with restoring a Windows System Image backup from my external Hard Drive. While it wrote to the hard drive fine, the windows doesn't seem like it wants to detect it in order to restore. So far I have tried using another...
  9. How to validate system image backup

How to validate system image backup: A couple days ago I took a system image backup of Windows 10 to a 3TB drive - something unsupported in Windows 7 because of the 4k segment size. At least I think I took a backup - it did something for a long time. But I just looked at it and Windows says it's 0 bytes long. Is...
  10. System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10

System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10: Hi, A few days ago I discovered I had some corruptive files preventing me from Updating successfully. So, after much hair-pulling I did a Windows 10 reinstall via a USB Flash Drive while Windows was running and it was successful thanks to some talented folks on this forum....