Windows 10: Win10 hyper-v cannot connect to internet. Vm can only ping router!

Discus and support Win10 hyper-v cannot connect to internet. Vm can only ping router! in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have installed a Win10 Hyper-v machine in my windows 10 system and cannot get this thing to connect to the internet I can get as far as the router,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Gorgonio, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Gorgonio Win User

Win10 hyper-v cannot connect to internet. Vm can only ping router!

I have installed a Win10 Hyper-v machine in my windows 10 system and cannot get this thing to connect to the internet
    I can get as far as the router, in other words from the VM I can ping the router; in reality it doesn't matter what IP address I try to ping, if I ping 8.8.8.8 it still takes me to the router log in screen. So I might be close but don't know how to proceed.

My set up is a RealTek GBE physical NIC, with an External switch, changed all IP addresses on the switch to be within the LAN IP address's range, I set the virtual NIC inside the Win10_VM to be within the LAN IP address range of the host's physical NIC as well, still no connection,

It has taken me a lot of pain work and frustration to be able to get this far; so many dead ends, and still this darn hyper-v thing cannot connect to the internet. Why is this so difficult to accomplish?

It is so frustrating *Sad, I believed I have tried all configurations I can think of and this is the only configuration that got me the closest to an Internet connection. Please help!

I tried, Internal switch with the host NIC sharing a connection to the VM-Switch, I have tried bridging both NIC and vEtherNet card, in both configurations External and/or internal and many more other things I've tried. Nothing has worked no matter what. *Confused

Thank you. please help

:)

Gorgonio, Dec 27, 2015

2. Why is Hyper-V-Manager consuming so much bandwidth?

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for your support.

The setup is quite simple:

• The Hyper-V Server is a Root-Server in the Internet (not in a domain). It is only managed by myself (whatever that means Win10 hyper-v cannot connect to internet. Vm can only ping router! :) )
    • The server is a "Hyper-V Server 2016" (see e.g. Microsoft Evaluation Center)
    • My Notebook connect's via Server Manager (This connection uses 8 kBit/se or less on average)
    • When I open Hyper-V (via the Server Manager) it uses 500kBit/s permanently, without even connecting to a VM. Just listing the VMs on the server.

Michael

wallenstein0961, Dec 27, 2015
  3. dscycler Win User
    Windows 10 Hyper-v using 2 Nic ports

I am running Windows 10 with Hyper-v installed. I want to add a 2nd network adapter to the system in order to separate the hyper-v network traffic from the host network traffic. I disconnect all hyper-v vms from the current virtual switch that is set up
    allowing host access. I remove that hyper-v virtual switch. Then I add the new nic, restart and add a virtual switch (External) that is connected to the 2nd nic. I don't select the 'Allow management operating system to share this adapter'. Then click OK and
    the virtual switch is added.

The result is that my Win 10 host can still see the Internet and ping other systems on my lan but it cannot actually connect to shares on servers on my lan through Network or via existing mapped drives.

The only way I can get back complete network functionality is to use System Protection >> System Restore to go back in time prior to adding the virtual switch connected to the 2nd nic.

Windows server 2012 R2 has no issues with setting the host to use one lan port and a hyper-v virtual switch connecting to a different lan port.

Any ideas? A bug? Thanks...

dscycler, Dec 27, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Hi Gorgonio, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Hyper-V is easy and straight forward to set up when done correctly. You enable the Hyper-V feature, create an external virtual switch, install a guest OS selecting the external switch as connection and you are done.

There's no need to set static IP addresses. Of course you can use a static IP if that's what you prefer but Hyper-V virtual machines work just fine with DHCP and dynamic IP addresses.

There is never need to manually create a network bridge. If you create an external switch using the host's wireless NIC, Hyper-V automatically creates a network bridge. With wired host NIC (Ethernet), the bridge is never needed nor should it be made.

Seems that your setup is totally screwed, I recommend to either restore a System Image or do a System Restore to the point before before you set up Hyper-V and start from scratch. You can try to remove all your network switches using the Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager and manually removing all network bridges, then reboot and try creating the switches again, but I doubt this will work.

Tutorial: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

5. BartZorn Win User
    Hello Kari,

Your excellent posts are a great help! Thank you!

However: there seems to be a problem. Up to build 10586 I have successfully used VM's with a virtual switch connected to my wireless adapter. Then I updated to build 11102. The virtual switch then was disappeared. What is worse, I could not create a new one, at least not one that is connected to the wireless adapter. I get the following error: see attachment.

I have never created a bridge manually. When I try to bridge my wireless and my ethernet together, I get the following error: see attachment. Not very helpful. I know it is not a supported configuration, but it is just as a demonstration.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a bug in this build?

TIA,

Bart

BartZorn, Jan 28, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    First: The Bridge needed for the wireless external switch is not supposed to bridge the Ethernet and wireless adapters! You have the concept a bit wrong.

This extract from a tutorial Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager on our sister site the Eight Forums:

(Note: NIC = Network Interface Controller, the network adapter. WLAN NIC = wireless adapter.)

Hyper-V does not have any emulated virtual hardware for a wireless connection. Therefore it handles even an external wireless switch as a wired Ethernet connection. The host needs a bridge between the wireless switch and the real physical WLAN NIC; it kind of "translates" the wired network traffic coming from vm to the wireless host NIC. This bridge will be automatically created when a wireless external switch is created, there's no need to do it manually.

To start with, please tell if the wireless external switch is still present in your system although not shown in Virtual Switch manager. You can check it in PowerShell with following command (or rather cmdlet as they are called in PowerShell):
    Code: Get-VMSwitch[/quote]
    It shows all present virtual switches:

Win10 hyper-v cannot connect to internet. Vm can only ping router! [​IMG]

Post the same screenshot as shown above as an example, we'll start from that.

7. BartZorn Win User
    First: I know that I am not supposed to bridge my two network adapters together. I only tried that to show that there may be a problem with bridges anyway. I read a post somewhere that bridging the two together might be a solution to the problem of not being able to connect the wireless adapter to a virtual switch. He/she also told me that it is definitely not a supported configuration.

The Get-VMSwitch gives me the following:

Name SwitchType NetAdapterInterfaceDescription
    ---- ---------- ------------------------------
    Hyper-V Virtual Switch External Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

This switch works OK for my VM's as long as I have a network cable attached.

Thanks!

Bart

BartZorn, Jan 29, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

OK so the wireless switch is totally gone.

A workaround if you are unable to create an external switch with the wireless adapter is to create an internal switch, set the vm to use it, and share the host wireless connection with that internal switch.

See this post for more information about the workaround: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Page 28 - Windows 10 Forums

9. BartZorn Win User
    Yes, I tried that already. The BIG disadvantage is that that creates an extra NAT layer with all its problems. For instance: when I have more than one VM behind NAT, I cannot reach file services from all of them unless I change the default port numbers. Plus, the sharing configuration only shows applications, not port numbers. I have not found out how to disable NAT but keep the router functionality in ICS.

Do you have any idea what might be the reason I can't do what I want, although I could with earlier builds?

TIA,

Bart

BartZorn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 hyper-v cannot connect to internet. Vm can only ping router! - Similar Threads - Win10 hyper cannot

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Hyper-V VM's have no internet connection with default switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V VM's have no internet connection with default switch: Hello,I frequently make VM's with hyper-v either to test things, or just for convenience's sake. usually with windows on them as well.But recently, any VM's I make or have previously made can't connect to the internet at all. I usually just use the "default switch", but that...
  5. Hyper-V VM Internet/Ethernet Connection Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM Internet/Ethernet Connection Issues: Everyone, I currently have a Windows 11 Pro machine in which Hyper-V is being used to create a Windows 10 Home virtual machine. While the creation of the virtual machine was successful, I am having issues in two key areas: A: I cannot ping from the virtual machine to a device...
  6. Hyper-V VM Internet/Ethernet Connection Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM Internet/Ethernet Connection Issues: Everyone, I currently have a Windows 11 Pro machine in which Hyper-V is being used to create a Windows 10 Home virtual machine. While the creation of the virtual machine was successful, I am having issues in two key areas: A: I cannot ping from the virtual machine to a device...
  7. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  8. VM connection issue with Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM connection issue with Hyper-V: I have had this long standing issue with Hyper-V VMconnection as follows. Sometimes I have a VM in a window, and I go to maximise it to full screen, but the windows 10 display part does no resize to full Window. Ok that is usually sorted by clicking the Hyper-V control bar...
  9. No audio in Hyper-V - Win10 VM on Win10

No audio in Hyper-V - Win10 VM on Win10: I'm running Windows 10 Pro, using Hyper-V, with a VM that is running Windows 10. I've already read Overview: Client Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 8.1 and Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode - Turn On or Off (referred to in several other related articles) and neither...
  10. Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet

Hyper-V does not allow my VM to the internet: When I was at build 10074 I had Hyper-V working and the Virtual Machine (also at build 10130 but several days before the host upgraded) had LAN and internet access. After the upgrade to 10130 the VM can see the host on in the Network, but not the internet. Network adn...
Tags: