Windows 10: Win10 install/2 user profiles on same computer/1st is mangled/2nd ok

Discus and support Win10 install/2 user profiles on same computer/1st is mangled/2nd ok in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bit the bullet and upgraded my old Dell Latitude D830 from Win 7 to Win 10 on 9/11/15. I was surprised that I could actually get it to install,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SteveTheTechie, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Win10 install/2 user profiles on same computer/1st is mangled/2nd ok

I bit the bullet and upgraded my old Dell Latitude D830 from Win 7 to Win 10 on 9/11/15.

I was surprised that I could actually get it to install, but all looked good after the install. I don't like how it looks like MS stripped out/hid some UI features, but oh well.

However, I jumped the gun and deleted my old Win 7 install using the disk cleaner and I made the mistake of running some cleaners on the new install for one of the two user profiles I have on the computer. (I forgot it takes a bit for utility vendors to get their code caught up for the new OS.) It looks like I do not have a restore point for the time frame I need, either. I need to restore to 9/11, earliest I have is 9/12.

Anyway, my current situation is this:

(1) my home user profile is mangled... no start menu access, no edge icon, and no calculator icon. (no modern apps) Calc says I need a new app when I try to load it via Run box. Also, getting install prompts when loading MSOffice 2007 apps. However, my work user profile is ok... start menu is ok, edge and calc are accessible, and no MSOffice install prompts.

I have tried to run the Powershell script to reinstall the apps... it does not solve this. I thought I might be able to copy files from the ok work user profile to the bad home profile, but when I created a new user profile as a test, the new profile was also missing start menu, edge, and calc. So it looks like something in the default files/settings has gotten mangled.

I have looked through the registry a bit, but I am not sure what keys I should be looking at for this to find problems.

(2) I also have a problem with sound. It looks like the SigmaTel audio driver I have been running forever, even in Win7, is clashing with Win10. I know I have sound since I get a boot notification sound, and occasional muted/garbled sounds, but basically sound is broken after Win10 install.

Much thanks for any suggestions!

:)

SteveTheTechie, Sep 13, 2015

2. Can't change printing options for Store apps when printing on Epson 3520

If I change the Epson 3520 preference for 2-sided printing as suggested by selecting the printer in control panel the 2nd page of the print job printer "more selections" defaults to 2-sided printing and if I select ok it remains and returns to the 1st page
    and I can print 2 sided. If I change the 2nd page to 1 sided and select ok the page returns to the 1st page with the print button and I can print 1-sided. I will use this 2-sided default selection on the printer, but something in the Win10 code is at fault
    because the "more settings" page to select other options such as 2-side printing if the printer default was set at 1-sided will not return to the 1st page with the print button when ok is selected as was normal before Win10. Tried in both Maps and Mail.

If the default is set to 1-sided or 2-sided "printer preferences" works correctly in Word and Excel.

Charles and CherylMilewski, Sep 13, 2015
  3. raaiman Win User
    Cannot connect Xbox app to console

Kimberly,

not sure if this will help, but i like you have the same issue when my son updated the xbox app to the latest version. But luckily for us we had 2 xboxes in the house, we are able to connect to the 2nd which is not in the current XBOX connected list.
    So in summary the 1st xbox which is in the list couldn't be connected, but the 2nd one which we just added was working. So what i did was this to fix the issue.

1. remove the current profile on the 1st XBOX. (delete the profile)

2. clear the CACHE (in settings, dvd)

3. reboot the XBOX

4. on WIN10 refresh the list, you should see the xbox as TURN ON

5. manually power on the XBOX, re-enter your profile (don't worry, all your games still there)

6. once you're done signing-in and doing all your personalisation, power off the xbox

7. on the WIN10 xbox app, click power on and you'll be connected.

hope it helps

-ronald

raaiman, Sep 13, 2015
Thema:

Win10 install/2 user profiles on same computer/1st is mangled/2nd ok

1. Win10 install/2 user profiles on same computer/1st is mangled/2nd ok - Similar Threads - Win10 install user

2. The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded. OK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded. OK: The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.User profile cannot be loaded.OKI've another user within the system but can't able to login to that,restart option doesn't give me any other options when I click restart it only restart the system and keep the same user...
  3. The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded. OK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded. OK: The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.User profile cannot be loaded.OKI've another user within the system but can't able to login to that,restart option doesn't give me any other options when I click restart it only restart the system and keep the same user...
  4. 2nd Display Shows Same Background as 1st only on Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd Display Shows Same Background as 1st only on Startup: On windows 10 I have 2 monitors a 1920 x 1080 and a 2560 x 1440. I set up my monitors to slideshow through about 3 dozen different images, with different images on each monitor that stretch to fit the monitor. But every time I turn my computer on the second monitor will only...
  5. 2nd Display Shows Same Background as 1st only on Startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd Display Shows Same Background as 1st only on Startup: On windows 10 I have 2 monitors a 1920 x 1080 and a 2560 x 1440. I set up my monitors to slideshow through about 3 dozen different images, with different images on each monitor that stretch to fit the monitor. But every time I turn my computer on the second monitor will only...
  6. 2nd Display Shows Same Background as 1st only on Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. 2 user accounts - Office 2016 admin profile / Office 365 2nd?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    2 user accounts - Office 2016 admin profile / Office 365 2nd?: Hi I have 2 user accounts in my Win10 (Ver 21H1) setup. The 2nd account was created after the main was already in use. Main administrator account (personal): Contains main user libraries (photos, music, documents), software and applications. It also has Office 2016 installed,...
  8. 2nd Windows Install corrupts 1st?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2nd Windows Install corrupts 1st?: This has happened to me more than once. I have an NVMe drive (1TB) and an SSD (500GB EVO 860). The NVMe is the main drive and a clean install of Windows 10 is all set up on it and it worked fine. I booted to a Windows 10 installation media (USB) and installed Windows 10 on...
  9. Shariing Office 365 Home with a 2nd user account on the same computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Shariing Office 365 Home with a 2nd user account on the same computer: I recently purchased a new computer and was able to get Office 365 for my user account, but when I switch to my wife's account, I'm unable to share on her account....
  10. user profile Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    user profile Win10: How do I repair or replace my user profile in Windows10 that was corrupted during a shutdown failure? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-profile-win10/a2f7d226-78c4-4ab6-87a4-133411eb0fd7