Windows 10: Win10 ISO install hangs at first reboot

Discus and support Win10 ISO install hangs at first reboot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Wiped and repartitioned the drive and formated ntfs, made a bootable usb stick with ISO, it seems to install, but when the machine gets to the first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zigzag03, Oct 21, 2016.

1. zigzag03 Win User

Win10 ISO install hangs at first reboot

Wiped and repartitioned the drive and formated ntfs, made a bootable usb stick with ISO, it seems to install, but when the machine gets to the first reboot, it hangs with the cursor flashing in the upper left corner. This happens whether the usb stick is left in the machine or not. The drive shows what appears to be the usual full compliment of directories and file common to any windows install. I'm concerned that the partition may not be bootable, but would think part of the windows install would include making itself bootable. Using Hirem on a stick to look at the machine, which boots under minixp, and partitioned with Magic Partition, the lite version. Anyone have any thoughts?

:)

zigzag03, Oct 21, 2016
  2. dkwong55 Win User

Win7 to Win10 upgrade issue msg "First Boot"

i am upgrading from Win7 Home Premium SP1 edition with activated license code to

Win10 Home; initially upgrade failed so i followed the MS directions to create a bootable

DVD with the Win10 ISO file.

After running thru the upgrade screens and on the 1st reboot, the windows screen hangs

with only the cryptic msg about some "First Boot" issue.

How do i get more details on what is the issue?

What can i try to make the Win10 upgrade work?

dkwong55, Oct 21, 2016
  3. My PC has been hanging only since installing widows 10.

Original title : Win10 hanging.

My PC has been hanging only since installing widows 10. It never happened with Win7. What the **** is going on! I need to reboot up to three times before it stops hanging.

Michael Lish, Oct 21, 2016
  4. aramil Win User

remove all the partions from the drive and when installing just select the drive to install to, windows will build and setup all the partions for you.

aramil, Oct 21, 2016
  5. zigzag03 Win User
    Before I got to look at your response, I did just exactly that. I cleared and then repartitioned the drive, and let the install happen, without choosing the "format" option on the drive selection screen, and viola, good to go. Perhaps formatting with Partition Magic was my issue all along, but this problem is solved and I thank you !

zigzag03, Oct 21, 2016
  6. aramil Win User
    yeah some of the boot partitions are not NTFS.

aramil, Oct 21, 2016
  7. cottonball, Oct 21, 2016
  8. XweAponX Win User

When I'm doing a fresh install, I never partition using any partition manager. I use Minitool Partition Wizard 7.xx to either create new partitions or to resize an existing partition, that's what these partition managers are good for, and they are very good for that purpose.

For a fresh install, I always press the "new" option in Setup (like in the image u/cottonball posted), and the system creates what partitions it needs for a proper install. After that, you can use Hiren's embedded Partition Wizard app to change the size if need be, or just use the app from within Windows 10.

I suppose Cotton's scenario is applicable if you have a failed install and you want to start over again, but even there, you don't need to delete that remaining partition, it will get wiped if you go to "new" and just create a new partition. Glad it got sorted.

XweAponX, Oct 21, 2016
  9. zigzag03 Win User
    Thank you both. I don't do this often enough to be proficient at it, and am sure glad for forums like this and Anands when things get sticky.

zigzag03, Oct 22, 2016
  10. You are welcome!

The main goal is to get your machine up and running.

Have a great week!! *Smile

cottonball, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 ISO install hangs at first reboot - Similar Threads - Win10 ISO install

2. Windows 11 Install using first ISO!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Install using first ISO!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to install Windows 11 on my new PC and I've Windows 11 first ISO 21H2 but I will miss lot of updates and It will harder to go closer to build 10.0.22621 through Windows update. I think it will take month to make 2022 update come out. What...
  3. Windows 11 Install using first ISO!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Install using first ISO!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to install Windows 11 on my new PC and I've Windows 11 first ISO 21H2 but I will miss lot of updates and It will harder to go closer to build 10.0.22621 through Windows update. I think it will take month to make 2022 update come out. What...
  4. win10 update fails at first reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 update fails at first reboot: Can't update to latest win10 version.The update fails at the first reboot after initial installation.Then it rolls back.When the rollback is done, I can't access Microsoft Store no login available and have to restore my system from a backup....
  5. win10 iso

win10 iso: brand new to computers so when i was tryinng to make room for update i erased all and i mean all files on labtop...now unfortunately nothin works....i cant access settings i cant access nothing cant download from internet explorer have no user accounts...i keep coming across...
  6. Windows won't reboot to install updates with ISO

Windows won't reboot to install updates with ISO: I'm doing an in-place update with an ISO file from the C drive. When I click setup it works fine and the blue screen progresses all the way to 100%. But after it says it's going to reboot, nothing happens and a window pops up saying "Windows 10 installation failed.". I have...
  7. Win10 x64 hanging

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 x64 hanging: Hi My Win10 x64 randomly hangs for about 5 min and then comes back. *Sad Anyone with the same behaviour? how can i know if it's HDD related? thanks Edit: found a Windows error report at + or - the same time of last hang and here it is, related files are not in given...
  8. Cannot Install Windows 10. Installer hangs upon reboot.

Cannot Install Windows 10. Installer hangs upon reboot.: Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum, and I have registered because I cannot upgrade or clean install my pc to windows 10. I am running windows 7, and was able to upgrade to windows 8.1 easily, but i did not like the new interface and found it too cumbersome, so i...
  9. Current Win10 installation ISO?

Current Win10 installation ISO?: Hi Guys, Currently running 1511 on three machines, but due to a bit too much tinkering I'm looking at doing clean installs - not a huge drama as I don't have a large number of programs to reinstall. I'm wondering if I download a new Win10 installation ISO (via direct...
  10. Win10 install keeps rebooting, stuck in reboot mode

Win10 install keeps rebooting, stuck in reboot mode: Sorry if this has already been posted, but I'm stuck in reboot and don't know how to get out. I left my computer to install overnight. When I came to it this afternoon, it looks like it might have completed, but was still in some set up condition, so I did a hard restart (I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 iso hangs