Windows 10: Win10 keeps tying pdf files to Edge & jpg, gif etc files to Paint

Discus and support Win10 keeps tying pdf files to Edge & jpg, gif etc files to Paint in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; A recurring problem: whatever one does or tweaks in PC settings - and I tried everything - Windows 10 keeps reverting to its own Edge for pdf files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by haku, Feb 1, 2018.

1. haku Win User

Win10 keeps tying pdf files to Edge & jpg, gif etc files to Paint

A recurring problem: whatever one does or tweaks in PC settings - and I tried everything - Windows 10 keeps reverting to its own Edge for pdf files, and to its clunky Paint 3D program for most usual graphic files like jpg, gif, bmp, png, etc...

For a few minutes after a settings change indicating which program should be attached to which file type, shazam! everything is changed back to Microsoft "preferences".

This has been reported time and again to Microsoft, but nothing is done about this quirk.

Can someone at the forum help me get out of that conundrum, which is more than an annoyance?

Thanks.

:)

haku, Feb 1, 2018

2. Can't preview jpg files in the preview pane -- Windows 10 Fall Update (1709)

My problem is not related to file association, I've tried changing file association to multiple programs, including MS Paint. To clarify, my problem is with jpg files not displaying in the File Explorer preview pane
    and has nothing to do with file icons.

I've discovered the problem is related to the new 1709 update feature "OneDrive Files On-Demand". The problem with jpg files not displaying in the File Explorer preview pane only occurs for files that are on OneDrive with "Files On-Demand"
    enabled. I have some files & folders specified as "Always Keep on this device" and I expect files to be displayed in preview -- and they are except for jpg files. Other file types (pdf, txt, docx, xlsx, etc.) preview without issue. jpg files on disk only
    and not on OneDrive ARE displayed in preview, the problem is only for jpg files on OneDrive, even though "Always keep on this device" is enabled.

If "Files On-Demand" is enabled and "Always keep on this device" is not enabled (files are in the cloud only) then no files are previewed (makes sense).

I have another computer that was just updated to 1709. The "Files on demand" feature has not been enabled so all OneDrive files are on disk. It displays jpg files on OneDrive in preview without issue.

To summarize my problem as I see it... jpg files on OneDrive are not displayed in File Explorer preview if and only if "Files On-Demand" is enabled, even though those files are kept on disk.

LarryGorden, Feb 1, 2018
  3. Bill_VA2 Win User
    Latest WIndows 10 Update Changes File Associations

I'm about to lose my mind and patience with this issue. I've reset the file association via every way possible and still the file associations for Edge keep coming back, sometimes even minutes after I've changed it. In particular with these file types
    and associations:

• graphic files like png, jpg, gif - I have resurrected Window Photo Viewer and associated these file types with it, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to the Photos app
    • mp3 files - I changed them to Windows Media Player, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to Groove Music
    • htm and html files - I changed to open with Chrome, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to open with Edge
    • pdf files - I changed to open with Acrobat Pro, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to open with Edge

OMG!!!! When I started typing this, I changed the file association for .pdf files to Acrobat, and just now after proofing this post, they're reset to open with Edge!!!!

Come on Microsoft, quit screwing with us and leave the file associations alone!!!!

Bill_VA2, Feb 1, 2018
  4. Win10 keeps tying pdf files to Edge & jpg, gif etc files to Paint

TairikuOkami, Feb 1, 2018
  5. haku Win User
    Thanks, but...

Try to reset back to MS defaults, then set it as you want.
    Been there, done that. Problem returns. By the way, Settings even refuses to link the files to the app chosen by the user.
    You might also uninstall paint 3D to make sure, it will not interfere.
    If one does that, and launches one of the mentioned graphic files, one gets an error message saying "Can not access the specified path or file. You may not have the correct access permissions for the item." Same goes for Edge.

haku, Feb 1, 2018
  6. TairikuOkami, Feb 1, 2018
  7. haku Win User
    Hi again,

Done that long ago - slider on the lowest rung.

No result.

haku, Feb 1, 2018
  8. Win10 keeps tying pdf files to Edge & jpg, gif etc files to Paint

Your account profile might be corrupted, setup a new one and try it there.

TairikuOkami, Feb 1, 2018
  9. haku Win User
    Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow.

haku, Feb 1, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    Try setting the default for those in Safe Mode, see if that sticks then.
    If so, try after a clean boot.

I don't think I've heard of settings being reverted so quickly, and without a restart. If your situation is exceptional, that could be why reporting to MS has had no effect, not to mention other possible reasons of course.

dalchina, Feb 1, 2018
  11. Berton Win User
    If you don't like the new Paint 3D you can use the older Paint/MSPaint, at least for now, by clicking Start, go to the W section and Windows Accessories, open Paint. I keep it Pinned to the Start and usually to the Taskbar. I'd also make sure another PDF reader is installed such as Adobe Acrobat Reader or Foxit Reader, both free, then in Settings or Control Panel set the Default Programs to the ones you want to use for various file formats.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win10 keeps tying pdf files to Edge & jpg, gif etc files to Paint

1. Win10 keeps tying pdf files to Edge & jpg, gif etc files to Paint - Similar Threads - Win10 keeps tying

2. MS Paint default file save type to JPG?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Paint default file save type to JPG?: On Vista it's not an issue since it is set to JPG as a default. What about Windows 10?Otherwise, I need help to know if following intended for XP applies to Windows 10?1. Open a blank screen in Paint and save it as a .jpg in the location you want as your default with the name...
  3. MS Paint default file save type to JPG?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Paint default file save type to JPG?: On Vista it's not an issue since it is set to JPG as a default. What about Windows 10?Otherwise, I need help to know if following intended for XP applies to Windows 10?1. Open a blank screen in Paint and save it as a .jpg in the location you want as your default with the name...
  4. Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files: Good day Supporti have problem with Edge keeps on hijacking my PDF, i have tried changing default app to adobe acrobat , but after a reboot edge becomes the default app. Please help ?Edge is up to date. Microsoft EdgeVersion 92.0.902.73 Official build 64-bitAcrobat reader is...
  5. Win10 or Edge update disrupts file view, favorites etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 or Edge update disrupts file view, favorites etc: About a week ago Jan 2021, auto updates caused some serious disconnects. Seems the changes hid my user files in the background as well as my favorites. My system log in name and password still work. Thankfully, I see my files if I search down in c:\users]xx, , but they are...
  6. file convert jpg to pdf

in Windows 10 Customization
    file convert jpg to pdf: HOw can I change or file convert jpg to pdf https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-convert-jpg-to-pdf/dd6f392f-0245-447c-81a8-24ba2b4e453d
  7. Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files: I have a friend who installed the latest Windows 10 update last week, but after installation she was missing all her data. I discovered that her profile had become corrupt with the user profile set to a backup status, and each time she logged in she was using a temporary...
  8. inserting a pdf or jpg file into a word document

inserting a pdf or jpg file into a word document: Hello I have been trying to insert a pdf document, which is an image into my Word document. I even saved it as a jpg and tried that... no luck help please...
  9. View a png, jpg, or gif file; and only that.

View a png, jpg, or gif file; and only that.: What is the best way to view a gif, png or jpeg file in WIndows. To render the image as it is with no artefacts belonging to the viewer? I just want to view the image (and the image alone), move it about the screen, close the view....
  10. microsoft edge keep opening PDF files

in Browsers and Email
    microsoft edge keep opening PDF files: Yes I have done that without joy still Microsoft Edge keeps hijacking my .pdf files. [img]