Windows 10: Win10 Mail --- Not working after "Focused" update March 1st

Discus and support Win10 Mail --- Not working after "Focused" update March 1st in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Just wondering if anyone else has the issue of the Mail app opening for about 5-6 seconds and then closing itself ? it stays open long enough to show... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Kbird, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Kbird Win User

Win10 Mail --- Not working after "Focused" update March 1st

Just wondering if anyone else has the issue of the Mail app opening for about 5-6 seconds and then closing itself ? it stays open long enough to show me a tab saying I now have "Focused inbox" (which i didnt want anyway , I hate unified accounts) but now even clicking on the Ok if I am quick still causes the App to just close.

The Mail Notifications etc are still working.....

My Accounts are still there ...I read another thread where it opens but all accounts are gone....

the People App is also still working unlike some others in another thread too who had to restore their Contacts.

May just need to RollBack to Feb 28th using Macrium but wanted to ask 1st in case I have missed something here.

Thanks,

KB

:)

Kbird, Mar 3, 2017
  2. wvigotty Win User

WIN 10 MAIL APP: No banner or sound notifications

Greg Carmack. You stated a few posts ago that "Mail notifications on Start menu Live tile and banner popups also not working here most of the time." That is the issue here. That has been the issue here since early March when the focused inbox update was
    released. Before that focused update, the mail app worked perfectly fine.

wvigotty, Mar 3, 2017
  3. stgreg Win User
    WIN 10 MAIL APP: No banner or sound notifications

Greg Carmack. You stated a few posts ago that "Mail notifications on Start menu Live tile and banner popups also not working here most of the time." That is the issue here. That has been the issue here since early March when the focused inbox update was
    released. Before that focused update, the mail app worked perfectly fine.

Correct:

I created this thread. The problems are thoroughly explained there and throughout this thread. And the problems remain. It will work, then it wont, then it will, etc. Below is the feedback URL within feedback hub.. AGAIN!

https://aka.ms/ic6nvj

stgreg, Mar 3, 2017
  4. Kbird Win User

Well I rolled the Computer Back with Macrium Reflect yesterday and Mail was working again , this morning the Computer has updated itself while I was doing other things and Mail is back to not working again , with the exact same symptoms as above....

thankfully Windows Live Mail 2012 is still working setup with IMAP

KB.

Kbird, Mar 6, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    Works OK here, the "focused" inbox feature was switched off.
    All I can suggest is uninstalling the Mail App and installing again from the MS Store. Seem to recall it was an Admin PowerShell command line to uninstall the Mail App.

Helmut, Mar 6, 2017
  6. Kbird Win User
    Thanks Helmut , I may have to try that as I am unsure how the Focused Inbox got turned on , but Mail only stays open 6 seconds and then closes no matter what I do , so I can't find a setting to change it.

KB

Kbird, Mar 6, 2017
  7. Could try resetting the app. I hate it when MS 'updates' these native apps. Sometimes they do more harm than good!

Scottyboy99, Mar 6, 2017
  8. Kbird Win User

Care to explain an "App Reset" or is there a Tutorial for that ?

KB

Kbird, Mar 6, 2017
  9. I think there maybe a tutorial. I'm not in front of a pc at moment but from memory it's under settings-software and apps. Find mail and click advanced . There should be a reset option. Then try and re launch mail. Maybe take a restore point first before trying this - just in case ....

im not saying power shell command won't work. I don't really understand all that but once it caused me a huge problem with native apps using that power shell so I'd say avoid if possible

Scottyboy99, Mar 6, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello KB, *Smile

The tutorial below can help show you how to reset the "Mail and Calendar" app to hopefully sort this for you.

App - Reset in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 6, 2017
  11. Kbird Win User
    Thanks Brink , I was just over on the Tutorials section looking for that *Smile

I guess I am going to have to setup all my email accounts again D*** it .....

I'll give it a try since currently it just updates itself to the autoclose option *Smile each time I Macrium to Feb 28th

and thanks Scotty I found the Reset Option with your Help too

and this Tutorial I was just look at about the PowerShell Option too

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-a.html?filter[1]=Programs%20Features

KB

Kbird, Mar 6, 2017
  12. Kbird Win User
    Thanks Guys a Reset seems to have worked , surprisingly it only wiped out my Hotmail Account and still had the others setup when it reopened , when I added the Hotmail Account back , it remembered the account and I just had to click on it to set it up again.

All the preferences like Conversations and Focused Inbox need setting up again but it could of been alot worst , I am currently on

Version 17.8004.42017.0

The Focused Part only appears to work on Hotmail/Outlook Accounts , there is no option for on/off for it on my other Accounts.

So I 'll see if I get updated again and the Issue reappears and post back if needed.

thanks again....

KB

Kbird, Mar 6, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Mar 6, 2017
  14. Kbird Win User
    Unfortunately I was wrong in my thinking it was Fixed *Smile

Mail is working again but if I reboot my Computer , eg shutting down last night , my Hotmail account is gone from mail I I have to ADD it back in again , strange thing is all my other Accts are still there and working.

It no longer allows you to rename the Account either ...well it does , it just doesn't change *Smile except on the Options page.

KB

Kbird, Mar 11, 2017
  15. I've been having the same problem with Windows 10 Mail the last couple of days where the account simply gets deleted so the Inbox is empty and I then need to go into Accounts and set it up again. The problem has been asked about at answers.microsoft but as usual for the site no resolution other than "use the troubleshooter or uninstall/reinstall." MS "updates" an app then breaks it. Who'd a thunk.

wordsworth, Mar 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Win10 Mail --- Not working after "Focused" update March 1st - Similar Threads - Win10 Mail working

2. Calendar app no longer starts after the March 1st update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Calendar app no longer starts after the March 1st update: Today I updated the Mail and Calendar app. The Calendar no longer starts, empty main window appears for a while, then closes. I can reproduce the issue on multiple machines, the latest update 16005.14326.21344.0 is apparently broken. There are already similar reports in the...
  3. Calendar app no longer starts after the March 1st update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Calendar app no longer starts after the March 1st update: Today I updated the Mail and Calendar app. The Calendar no longer starts. I can reproduce the issue on multiple machines, the latest update 16005.14326.21344.0 is apparently broken. There are already similar reports in the Feedback app: https://aka.ms/AAju1w0I also tried to...
  4. Windows Search still not working after March Updates

Windows Search still not working after March Updates: Similar to other threads, I have been unable to use the Windows Search feature, either in the bar at the bottom toolbar or in a file folder. When I click into it, it looks like it is about to pop up, but then it immediately closes. Here are the other threads I've seen, with...
  5. Windows Search still not working after March Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Search still not working after March Updates: Similar to other threads, I have been unable to use the Windows Search feature, either in the bar at the bottom toolbar or in a file folder. When I click into it, it looks like it is about to pop up, but then it immediately closes. Here are the other threads I've seen, with...
  6. Simple Questions Thread - Week of March 1st, 2020.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Simple Questions Thread - Week of March 1st, 2020.: Welcome to the Simple Questions thread, for questions that don't need their own thread. We still recommend you use the search, FAQ/Wiki on the sidebar, or even a Bing search before asking. Also please post tech support related questions on /r/techsupport. Some examples of...
  7. Windows update after October 1st

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update after October 1st: Okay, so I updated Windows on my laptop on the 1st and everything worked, but then at about the 4th it updated again and now it says "Your PC did not start correctly" I need help fixing this....
  8. Win10 Mail not working

Win10 Mail not working: Installed Win10 Mail on my Win10 machine but it was not working (most of the buttons were not showing), so I went to Settings/Apps to uninstall and noticed something unusual there – a link called Advanced Options. It offered me some Permissions and one of them was Email and...
  9. Lather rinse repeat update 1st March-2nd March 2016

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lather rinse repeat update 1st March-2nd March 2016: Hi this process took 10 hours for the first cycle (1st March) then another hour or so today (2nd March) how do I check where my update is at? How will I know its finished? anyone thanks 42648
  10. Internet not working after 15 March MS updates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet not working after 15 March MS updates: The Windows updates of 15 March 2018 have stopped my internet working. These are: kb4011695, kb4018291, kb4011234, kb4088785, kb4088776, kb408876, kb4088776 (9) The computer can see my wifi router, but reports a yellow triange warning and 'no internet access'. Three...