Windows 10: Win10 motherboard change activation saga

Discus and support Win10 motherboard change activation saga in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently changed the motherboard and CPU in my primary system. It was running Win10 Pro X64, upgraded from Win8.1 . That was an upgrade from Win 8,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bobkn, Aug 16, 2018.

1. bobkn Win User

Win10 motherboard change activation saga

I recently changed the motherboard and CPU in my primary system. It was running Win10 Pro X64, upgraded from Win8.1 . That was an upgrade from Win 8, which was an upgrade from Win7, which was... you get the idea. The ancestral OS was retail. The most recent license I had purchased was the Win8 upgrade, from January of 2013.

The old MB was an Intel X99 one. The new, AMD x470. After Win10 detected the change and installed some different drivers, it ran normally. It didn't activate online. However, when I changed the key to the Win8 upgrade one, it activated OK.

The motherboard turned out to be defective. The RAM slots A1 and A2 weren't working properly. So, I returned it, and replaced it with a different X470 MB.

That swap went fine also. However, nothing I could do would permit it to activate online.

I called MS activation support. After they led me through a number of steps (all of which I'd tried previously), I was referred to another level of support. I went through that a couple of times. The first time, the support person suggested that I re-install Windows 8 and upgrade that to 10. I managed to avoid screaming obscenities at the man, but it was a near thing. On the second try, I got a tech who asked to be allowed to remotely log into to the system. I agreed. He tried a number of things, none of which worked.

He finally took a screen capture of the invoice for the new MB, which I purchased online a few days ago. His boss permitted him the generate a new Win10 key for me. That worked. I don't know whether the key is equivalent to a full retail license, but I hadn't expect to be given any sort of new key.

The short version: if you swap motherboards, and have a Win10 installation with retail origins (not OEM), I expect that Microsoft will support re-activating Windows on the new hardware. If you have to deal with humans, you may encounter some who offer nonsense solutions. Persevere, and you may eventually find a support person who is both considerate and competent. (Thanks, Kamalesh.)

:)

bobkn, Aug 16, 2018
  2. Hodakiin Win User

Win10 won't activate after RAM change

Hey! I replaced my old RAM cards with two new ones, and now I'm stuck with a "activate windows" prompt in the bottom right corner of my screen. The troubleshooter does not seem to do anything (tried checking the changed hardware option + chose my device
    in the list of devices + it said win10 was now activated.... but the prompt won't leave.)

I got win10 during the free upgrade period, and thus I don't have a product key... Any suggestions?

Hodakiin, Aug 16, 2018
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi Harsh,

Please be informed that your copy of Windows 10 should get activated automatically after changing the motherboard (once you enter the linked Microsoft Account details). But if you face any issues,
    I suggest you to go through Phone activation to activate your Windows 10 copy.

To run Phone activation please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type slui 4 and hit enter.

• Select the Country or
      Region.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Win10 motherboard change activation saga

windows activation after motherboard changed.

Hi Raed,

To reactivate your Windows 10 after changing your motherboard, we suggest that you check this
    article, and follow the Activation troubleshooter steps/instructions to resolve it.

Another possible resolution, you may refer to this thread, and look for
    Andre Da Costa's post.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Michael Gall, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

Win10 motherboard change activation saga

1. Win10 motherboard change activation saga - Similar Threads - Win10 motherboard change

2. Motherboard change → The activation Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard change → The activation Issue: My Sony Vaio Motherboard has changed. It had the OEM license, How can I activate window 10 now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-change-the-activation-issue/a841eae6-5b69-48b2-a7bc-9506db4445fb
  3. Motherboard change → The activation Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Motherboard change → The activation Issue: My Sony Vaio Motherboard has changed. It had the OEM license, How can I activate window 10 now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-change-the-activation-issue/a841eae6-5b69-48b2-a7bc-9506db4445fb
  4. Motherboard change → The activation Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Activation after a motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after a motherboard change: I had to change my motherboard do to some problems with it. Now i have to reactivate the license for Windows 10 pro but i tried everything the Get Help bot says, from re-entering the product key again to getting some troubleshoot help. The troubleshoot says the servers are...
  6. Win10 Home Activation Error 0xC004F211 after Motherboard Change

Win10 Home Activation Error 0xC004F211 after Motherboard Change: Replacing my old Intel motherboard with new MSI and AMD CPU. On this old system I confirmed that have a Digital Licence before starting motherboard/CPU replacement. Activation Troubleshooting Prompt from MS does not solve issue. The history of my licence is that it was a...
  7. Question about switching motherboards and win10 activation

Question about switching motherboards and win10 activation: Ok so i had bought a prebuildt gaming pc from cyberpowerpc it came with windows 10 and it said in the manual the key was saved in the motherboard. I recently bought a new setup i buildt myself, and the only thing i transfered over was my ssd. With the new setup it said...
  8. Activation After changing motherboard

Activation After changing motherboard: Hi So I just changed motherboards and my license isn't activating. I have tried using my microsoft account to sign in and activate the license with no luck. Please let me know if there is a way I can reset the license as its rather annoying that I got the license and...
  9. Motherboard Change - Win10 Activation

Motherboard Change - Win10 Activation: Hello! I have a small issue with activating Windows 10 Home Edition. I had an ASUS prebuild desktop (M32BF) that I fried the motherboard of (long story) so I had to replace it. The GPU, CPU, SSD, RAM (+1 new one), HDD are all the same. I tried the troubleshooter, selected...
  10. Activation after motherboard change.

Activation after motherboard change.: I have three computers running Windows 10 in the house. I have just replaced the motherboard in my desktop and now it says it needs activation. I have not replaced the hard disks so it is exactly the same version of windows 10 that has run fine since doing a free upgrade from...