Windows 10: win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?

Discus and support win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i did a full clean-up on a working hp envy 23 for a client, and as expected, they had a wide assortment of malware/virus. after cleaning them out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by berbes, Aug 29, 2018.

1. berbes Win User

win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?

i did a full clean-up on a working hp envy 23 for a client, and as expected, they had a wide assortment of malware/virus. after cleaning them out everything worked...until the reboot.

then, no internet. the sign-on icon had a red 'x' thru it, so i figured it was an easy lost/mutated driver fix, but i ran driver booster and found no missing drivers. i then attempted to install a usb-based wireless connection to figure things out, but then the program that runs the USB wireless connection wouldn't install. i got a couple of "windows socket" error windows.

i then tried restoring to before the virus cleanse, it seemed to work, and when i got to the sign-in, i could then 'see' the lower left-hand icon that showed there was now at least a connection of some sort to the net (no red x). when signing in, the wheel went round & orund for 20 minutes and said the PIN wouldn't work! i undid that restore, the PIN worked, but back to no drivers for the internet connection. i then figured i'd turn off the PIN since i was in windows (such as it was), but when trying to open the window to do just that, it kept closing after 5 seconds, so i couldn't do that! client says the PIN has never changed.

(of course) the laptop has a rare program on it, so reformatting and installing a fresh O/S isn't the best solution here. what is my next step? will scannow or DCIM help?

as always, thanks for the ideas!!!

:)

berbes, Aug 29, 2018
  2. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Aug 29, 2018
  3. jmcslob Win User
    2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

T ski b4 your done with this post can you list a step by step fix of what you did, I would appreciate it if you would...Thanks

jmcslob, Aug 29, 2018
  4. PreciousLeb Win User

Can't create pin for login. Pin stopped working

Hi Kevin,

To resolve your concern about creating pin to your computer, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC (click to get permission when prompted).
    • Delete the contents of that folder (delete everything in that folder, but leave that folder and everything above it).
    • Go back to settings, accounts, sign in options.
    • Your non-working pin will now be gone, and you can just click 'add a pin' and set it again.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Aug 29, 2018
Thema:

1. win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work? - Similar Threads - win10 mystery restored

2. win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?: i did a full clean-up on a working hp envy 23 for a client, and as expected, they had a wide assortment of malware/virus. after cleaning them out everything worked...until the reboot. then, no internet. the sign-on icon had a red 'x' thru it, so i figured it was an easy...
  3. Win10 PIN login option stoped working for no explainable reason

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win10 PIN login option stoped working for no explainable reason: I have a Dell xps 15 laptop with up-to-date Win10. For the second time, but on a different computer, my PIN login option has stopped working for no explainable reason. After waking up from sleep, Win10 refuses to accept my PIN and says that the option is no longer available...
  4. Pin not working

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Pin not working: I have just purchased an HP Pavilion Tablet for my wife Win 10 pre installed. We set it up for a Pin number. Now every time we try to activate the tablet with the correct pin number we get the following message "This device has been locked for security reasons. Connect your...
  5. Help Please with a Win10 Activation Mystery

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Help Please with a Win10 Activation Mystery: Hi There, I am now stumped .............. Background: 1) Have previously upgraded & dumped a Win7_64 Ult [SlicBios] into Win10_64 Pro and achieved successful online activation. 2) Following 1) & starting with a 'fresh' {OFFLINE} install of W10_64 Pro, whereby I...
  6. Photo Viewer Restore worked but now color washed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo Viewer Restore worked but now color washed out: Hi, I just restored Windows Photo Viewer successfully. I had done this last July too, when I went from Windows 7 to 10. It worked just fine, but this time, the colors were all washed out in Photo Viewer. I solved this by adjusting my color profile in Windows 10, and the...
  7. Bad blocks on Toshiba HDD & Win10 OS probs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bad blocks on Toshiba HDD & Win10 OS probs: My 2 year old Toshiba notebook started taking 5 - 10 minutes to boot last week. The Windows 10 system log file reports dozens of Harddisk0\DR0 bad blocks. After the system boots the Windows menu doesn't open, though its context menu does. Programs launch from the taskbar,...
  8. Big prob

in Windows 10 Support
    Big prob: I have a y510p from Lenovo and recently upgraded to win 10. Now Everything looks distorted(well mostly apps) and cannot play any game properly. AND yes i upgraded the Nvidia drivers but no luck. For eg. Worms Ultimate Mayhem is a little zoomed in and cropped. Most Games don't...
  9. Windows 10 probs

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 probs: So i upgraded and i was instantly taken by windows 10 it looks great and works well compared to other windows disappointments but then problems began to set in I have a razer backlit mouse and keyboard which would fade when the screen fades, well my screen would never time no...
  10. Reset win10 login pin

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset win10 login pin: Is it possible to reset the windows 10 login pin if you've forgotten what it was? I managed to get it changed (after *much* trial and error), but it appears to require the old pin to change the pin -- even if you know the password. That's just weird. You should be able to...