Windows 10: win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?

Discus and support win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i did a full clean-up on a working hp envy 23 for a client, and as expected, they had a wide assortment of malware/virus. after cleaning them out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by berbes, Aug 29, 2018.

1. berbes Win User

win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?

i did a full clean-up on a working hp envy 23 for a client, and as expected, they had a wide assortment of malware/virus. after cleaning them out everything worked...until the reboot.

then, no internet. the sign-on icon had a red 'x' thru it, so i figured it was an easy lost/mutated driver fix, but i ran driver booster and found no missing drivers. i then attempted to install a usb-based wireless connection to figure things out, but then the program that runs the USB wireless connection wouldn't install. i got a couple of "windows socket" error windows.

i then tried restoring to before the virus cleanse, it seemed to work, and when i got to the sign-in, i could then 'see' the lower left-hand icon that showed there was now at least a connection of some sort to the net (no red x). when signing in, the wheel went round & orund for 20 minutes and said the PIN wouldn't work! i undid that restore, the PIN worked, but back to no drivers for the internet connection. i then figured i'd turn off the PIN since i was in windows (such as it was), but when trying to open the window to do just that, it kept closing after 5 seconds, so i couldn't do that! client says the PIN has never changed.

(of course) the laptop has a rare program on it, so reformatting and installing a fresh O/S isn't the best solution here. what is my next step? will scannow or DCIM help?

as always, thanks for the ideas!!!

:)

berbes, Aug 29, 2018
  2. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Aug 29, 2018
  3. jmcslob Win User
    2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

T ski b4 your done with this post can you list a step by step fix of what you did, I would appreciate it if you would...Thanks

jmcslob, Aug 29, 2018
  4. win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?

Can't create pin for login. Pin stopped working

Hi Kevin,

To resolve your concern about creating pin to your computer, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC (click to get permission when prompted).
    • Delete the contents of that folder (delete everything in that folder, but leave that folder and everything above it).
    • Go back to settings, accounts, sign in options.
    • Your non-working pin will now be gone, and you can just click 'add a pin' and set it again.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Aug 29, 2018
Thema:

win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?

1. win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work? - Similar Threads - win10 mystery restored

2. probs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    probs: why after all these years are u saying my windows is counterfit i purchased the comp and windows at store down loaded myself dont have the box anymore 25 years ago should i change to apple cant get a direct contact with the REAL microsoft will change comp and server I wantb a...
  3. probs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    probs: why after all these years are u saying my windows is counterfit i purchased the comp and windows at store down loaded myself dont have the box anymore 25 years ago should i change to apple cant get a direct contact with the REAL microsoft will change comp and server I wantb a...
  4. win10 restore image not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win10 restore image not working: hitrying to make windows image backup program find the image backup on my disk connected to my sata connection. i can see it with coimmand line intruction and its intact but the win repair disk wont see itam trying to migrate windows to a larger hddthanks if anyone can help...
  5. win10 restore image not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win10 restore image not working: hitrying to make windows image backup program find the image backup on my disk connected to my sata connection. i can see it with coimmand line intruction and its intact but the win repair disk wont see itam trying to migrate windows to a larger hddthanks if anyone can help...
  6. win10 restore image not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. win10 usb boot prob

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 usb boot prob: scenario : 1 formatted hd 240gig ready to receive win10 from usb 1 usb flash drive with bona fida win10pro for installation problem: boots to the 'generic' windows window...then...nothing no messages...nothing just the annoying 'generic' windows window would love a...
  8. win10 to win10 network credentials mystery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win10 to win10 network credentials mystery: I have a media server that is running win10. I just got a new win10 machine in my office and I'd like full access to the shares on the media server. I go to the media server and open credentials manager and add the credentials for the new machine machine name, local...
  9. Win10 Admin PIN not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win10 Admin PIN not working: Hi I have sole admin access to a desktop with three other users. My pin has stopped working The other users see the following under the login box "I forgot my PIN Sign-in options" I don't have any options under the login box If I use my pin the following appears under...
  10. win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    win10 mystery- restored to fix probs, but now PIN doeesn't work?: i did a full clean-up on a working hp envy 23 for a client, and as expected, they had a wide assortment of malware/virus. after cleaning them out everything worked...until the reboot. then, no internet. the sign-on icon had a red 'x' thru it, so i figured it was an easy...