Windows 10: Win10/NAS (Freenas Box) Not Allowing Interaction

Discus and support Win10/NAS (Freenas Box) Not Allowing Interaction in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; History: Before the Win10 Creators Update (or maybe just before it last summer, my Win10Pro PC was freely drag'n'dropping between my Freenas File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LLin La, Mar 23, 2018.

1. LLin La Win User

Win10/NAS (Freenas Box) Not Allowing Interaction

History: Before the Win10 Creators Update (or maybe just before it last summer, my Win10Pro PC was freely drag'n'dropping between my Freenas File Server as it should. I have read hundreds of posts about SMBv1 and other similar "solutions" and have attempted numerous "fixes" to no avail. I KNOW there are other people experiencing the same problem, so I'm trying to focus on this thread to possibly solve my problem and also help others.

A solution I did run across is the use of FileZilla FTP which SUCCESSFULLY allows me to communicate with Freenas and transfer files here on my local network from PC to FN and back again. I've tinkered with FN permissions, SMB, Windows/UNIX file types, etc. but direct communication from the Windows platform as I had over a year ago does not exist any more except with FileZilla, of course.

I get inspired then frustrated after a few weeks researching and trying solutions and give up. This is my third "phase" of re-trying again. Maybe someone has a fresh insight or has found a solution. I am an intermediate PC user with above average skills though no MS Networking certificate holder, no command-line junkie and most of what I've learned these past 20 years has been on the internet, YouTube, etc. I daily teach my fellow workers how to do basic to intermediate Windows tasks with their software, solve a glitch or two, hook up printers, maintain our video security system tasks, and so on but I am no expert when it comes to "cmd" or Power Shell to solve problems. But I can take instructions and fairly understand what I'm told to do.

I "graduated" from the Windows Home Server environment a little before last summer since support for that platform was dropped. That's when I decided to try the Freenas (9.2 if I remember correctly) as my file server instead. It was a little bit of a learning curve but after a couple of weeks of trial and error, I was up and running transferring my files back and forth. I was even at the point of getting OwnCloud/NextCloud working when the Creator's Update "seemed" to strand all my files useless on the FN box inaccessible to my Windows machine. I discovered FileZilla in the process which allowed me access to those files again and I've been on and off searching for the restoration of what I had when I first started the process: Windows communicating "natively" with Freenas. I use Plex, Roku and Nvidia Shield TV all of which communicate by web browser or device within the ASUS 1900RT router environment/network. The singular problem is that Windows 10 WILL NOT communicate across to FN on the file level as I've mentioned before.

I have attached a couple of screen shots to "prove" some things are working as they should. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

:)

LLin La, Mar 23, 2018

2. No NAS Access after windows update

After update Windows machine does not see other computers on network.

Machine 1 - Windows 10 Desktop

Machine 2 - Windows 10 laptop - was working until I got the restart message as I was on the NAS

Machine 3 - Qnap NAS

Machine 4 - Freenas box

MAchine 5 - Linux Box - working fine, how I am access NAS Admin screens

When Windows desktop was only update that had been rebooted - it only saw itself. After update, the Laptop became visible but lap top lost access to NAS

I can ping both nas boxes - no issue

I can log into web interface of Freenas box from Desktop

I cannot log into web interface of QNAP box.

I have reset all routers and switches in the house as well as complete power cycle of Desktop and Laptop and QNAP Nas box (have not power cycled Freenas).

if I put \\IP Address - I can see directory structure of freenas box but nothing for QNAP

Shawn T. Smith, Mar 23, 2018
  3. azpbs Win User
    Unable to do system image save to NAS

I have asked this question in several forums but am not getting any response.

Recently upgraded one of my boxes to win10 on a workgroup environment. I have a seagate central NAS that I saved system images to and it has been working fine until I upgraded to win 10. What I have discovered is that the win10 version of the backup engine
    (wbengine.exe) is working differently than the win 7 version. The win 7 version does not do any byte range locking so I can save successfully to NAS and to win10. When win10 is the client I can save successfully to Win7 with SMB1 or SMB2.1 Protocol and the
    win 7 box responds properly to the lock requests. The NAS only supports SMB1 which win10 understands but it still requests locks which apparently confuses the NAS and the process aborts. So the locking is the problem and it is new to win10 wbengine. As a result
    my NAS is now an expensive paper weight. Is there anyway to prevent win10 from sending lock requests?

azpbs, Mar 23, 2018
Thema:

Win10/NAS (Freenas Box) Not Allowing Interaction

1. Win10/NAS (Freenas Box) Not Allowing Interaction - Similar Threads - Win10 NAS Freenas

2. One drive on NAS box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One drive on NAS box: I have a number of questions that I can't find answers too and would appreciate some help:-1. Can I have two OneDrive sessions open at the same time eg home and work?2. Can I link/install OneDrive to a folder on a NAS?3. Can OneDrive be shared with multiple people? 4. If I...
  3. unable to connect to fritz box NAS

unable to connect to fritz box NAS: I have a problem that has just recently raised it´s ugly head here it is Restoring Network Connections An error occured while reconnecting to \\Fritz-nas\fritz.nas microsoft windows network: Not enough memory resources are available to process command I have did the...
  4. Nas drive win10 issue

Nas drive win10 issue: Hi, i cannot access my wd cloud drives via win 10 but have no issue with wd cloud via phone app, Have tried all reset options but still not working, Any help with this would be great please...
  5. Red box in win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Red box in win10: Hi, I have got this red square that sort of highlights cells in excel and other stuff in win10, it kind of follows the mouse pointer. Any ideas of how to turn that function off? Many thanks BR 165925
  6. text boxes not allowing imput

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    text boxes not allowing imput: Unable to fill in any information required in Text Boxes on internet forms. Just resting the curser in a text box will delete the web site. HELP Have spent 6 hrs researching problem, Im not even close. Not long ago up graded to Windows 10. Just discovered that some how...
  7. WIN10 / SYnology NAS

WIN10 / SYnology NAS: Howdy, A couple months ago I had an update and suddenly every time the PC goes to "sleep" I lose connection to My NAS. The odd thing is I can see the folders even though the show as a mapped drive they show an with an X. Once I try to access a file it says it can't find...
  8. VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver): Hi there. provided there's enough "oomph" in your NAS box or microserver running a couple or even a few more VM's on these can be a great idea - especially if you only need to access files, do backups and run a few apps like OFFICE and some possibly corporate apps. To...
  9. Backup of your NAS boxes

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup of your NAS boxes: Hi there A lot of people here back up to NAS boxes -- but remember These CAN fail as well (or at least an HDD can). So I do suggest that you actually backup the stuff on your NAS from time to time -- you might NEVER need it but who knows. NAS boxes (or things like Micro...
  10. NAS box or use cheap HP microserver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NAS box or use cheap HP microserver: Hi there I can get a decent HP ProLiant micro server with 4 bays for around 450 EUR. A cheapish decent NAS box costs around the same. I'm thinking of using the server as an alternative to a NAS box -- I can install my own OS (I'll use a Linux distro for this)and it's...