Windows 10: win10 no longer allows plug n play keyboards to work

Discus and support win10 no longer allows plug n play keyboards to work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i rebooted my computer late on the 15th / early the 16th and when it came up the keyboard quit working. trouble shooting proved usb ports working,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jul, Feb 15, 2018.

1. JUL
    jul Win User

win10 no longer allows plug n play keyboards to work

i rebooted my computer late on the 15th / early the 16th and when it came up the keyboard quit working. trouble shooting proved usb ports working, devices working on other comp, plug n play mouse headset all fine.....just no keybd. tried removing rebooting reinstalling to no avail. comp sees the keybd. says its installed, but in device check there are no drivers and it cant find any. only with keyboards and happens with three different brands. what am i doing wrong?

:)

2. PS3 controller not working..

hello...

why does my ps3/pc controller not install or configure on my pc after upgrading to windows 10, does windows no longer support plug n play..it used to work ok on windows 7 previous to upgrading??any answers? Thank you!!

RobertYates_727, Feb 15, 2018
  3. All keyboards and Mice no longer work

I have tried all other ports and tried other keyboards. Still not working, This is GavenXR by the way for some reason it switched user names. Again to just point out this is since the update and I can't login in to be able to check drivers in device manager
    because nothing is working

TwistedDruid, Feb 15, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

More info is needed. Please fill out more complete specifications for your PC under "My Computer" (there's a TenForums Tutorial for that: System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums). And do tell us what kinds of keyboards you've tried out, and whether they're wired or wireless, or whatever. We'll help you out. And FWIW, it's probably not exactly Windows 10's fault: undoubtedly, there's some kind of driver issue at work.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 15, 2018
  5. JUL
    jul Win User
    plug and play..... so all keybds plug into usb ports.....it acts like someone clicked a setting to disallow keyboards. onn keybd , logitech ones, none work, not even the one that worked right befor the reboot. saw old posts for older systems suggesting deleting c windows inf file but win10 doesnt have the same file name. i may have to just reformat

6. EdTittel Win User
    Have you tried booting from a repair/recovery disk (bootable Windows install media will do)? If the keyboard still doesn't work then, something really interesting is no doubt going on. Sorry for your troubles. But please: be more specific about the keyboards you're using: Logitech make and model? others? Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 16, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
    Windows has always been stupid with this it installs drivers like this when you login not before so if you can actually get to login it should then install

Samuria, Feb 16, 2018
  8. JUL
    jul Win User

windows 10 home version 10.0.16299 build 16299 manufactured by gigabyte tech system x64-based pc prpcessor amd a6-7400 and the main keybd is logitech k120 but my son and daughtr took their keybds back, but all did same. the onscreen keybd is killing me

9. JUL
    jul Win User
    when unplugged and removed from system, when plugged in i get notified it sees the usb keyboard and moments later says good to go, but it lies because the device says it has no drivers and cannot find any

10. Ben Myers Win User
    If you have the onscreen keyboard, right-click "Start", select "Run" type in "devmgmt.msc" and click "OK". When device manager starts, expand "Keyboards", right-click the keyboard entry, select "Update driver", then click "Browse my computer for driver software". If a driver is found, install it. You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Ben

Ben Myers, Feb 16, 2018
  11. JUL
    jul Win User
    i tried searching 4 drivers on computer, online, at the keyboards site, and at microsoft update-comp says cant find any. i tried complete removal of keybd , turn off puter , plug in keybd and then start comp . always same result: keybd shows in device manager without any drivers. in trying to find a solution, i found people with same exact problem but in older OS such as vista win7 xp which their solution was 'try going to C:\windows\inf\ and deleting the infcache.1 file (this is the file that tells windows were to look automatically for driver files)' but either win10 doesnt have that file or i cant see it, and it works fine 4 all other plug n play devices like mouse, headset.......so this is very weird. it acts as if i had a setting that would disallow all external keybds. this model has everything internal-so i cant boot from a different drive with a cd - wishing 4 an easier fix than a reformat but am getting close to giving up and going 4 that option

12. Please ensure your keyboards do work on another computer, then stay with one that does work and let us know which one it is. I can't tell if the Logitech K120 is the one your son took back.

Try Control Panel > Troubleshooting > Hardware and Sound

Control panel > Ease of Access Center
    --- Check out on-screen keyboard settings: see if it's set for the on-screen keyboard is set to automatically be used
    --- I haven't done the above but looking into the Ease of Access Center settings it looks like those ideas might be possible.

Try a different USB port

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 16, 2018
  13. JUL
    jul Win User

Thank you all very much for your help and ideas. I tried so many things, but this had to be the weirdest thing that's ever happened to any of my computers. Obviously the part/pieces/software for searching for and using plug and play devices was working (at least in part) because it had no problem with mice, headphones, any other plug 'n play device.....but failed to install any of the three different brand keyboards. They weren't disabled, the computer could 'see' that they were there, just without any drivers, and I made sure all the settings were correct (several times) even though I never changed them in the first place. All devices work just fine, all the USB ports work just fine,....I finally just threw up my hands and did a reformat.
    This time I am making sure to make restore points (duh, I should have done that in the first place.)

14. "I finally just threw up my hands and did a reformat." I probably would have made the same decision .
    Thanks for letting us know your solution.

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 17, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, do please let us know if you're able to get back up and running. There have been a rash of recent reports of keyboards and mice gone missing (together) and it would be nice to piece together what the heck is going on. Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 17, 2018
Thema:

1. win10 no longer allows plug n play keyboards to work - Similar Threads - win10 longer allows

2. Plug n Play not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plug n Play not working: been having this issue for the past 5 years since i moved to win 10 the issue is that after a period of time plug N play stops recognizing unplugging and plugging in of devices forcing me to wither restart the hole pc or logging off this have been an issue across 10+ fresh...
  3. Plug n Play not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Plug n Play not working: been having this issue for the past 5 years since i moved to win 10 the issue is that after a period of time plug N play stops recognizing unplugging and plugging in of devices forcing me to wither restart the hole pc or logging off this have been an issue across 10+ fresh...
  4. Plug n Play not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. USB Keyboards: Plug N' Play

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Keyboards: Plug N' Play: Hello--I just wanted to double-check a detail.I am aware that a USB keyboard is plug n' play when using Windows so that it can be plugged in and unplugged while the computer remains on.Q1. If a USB keyboard is going to be 'swapped' for another USB keyboard, is it still...
  6. USB Keyboards: Plug N' Play

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Keyboards: Plug N' Play: Hello--I just wanted to double-check a detail.I am aware that a USB keyboard is plug n' play when using Windows so that it can be plugged in and unplugged while the computer remains on.Q1. If a USB keyboard is going to be 'swapped' for another USB keyboard, is it still...
  7. Plug and Play Bluetooth toggle no longer works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Plug and Play Bluetooth toggle no longer works: I have TP-Link USB Bluetooth Adapter for PCUB400, 4.0 Bluetooth Dongle Receiver Support that has worked great for the past year. My PC does not have Bluetooth hardware. After updating Windows 10 last night. It no longer works. The Bluetooth on/off no longer appears in...
  8. Asus plug n play monitor will not allow me to drag to it from laptop.

Asus plug n play monitor will not allow me to drag to it from laptop.: I have an HP laptop and just bought an ASUS second monitor. It will not allow me to drag documents to it, nor can I get my mouse to appear on it. I have chosen "Extend" on the HP setting and it shows the desktop on the ASUS. Can you tell me how to make this work?...
  9. Bluetooth plug 'n' play not working

Bluetooth plug 'n' play not working: Hello, I'm a long-time Windows 10 user. I'm using the latest mainstream build of Windows 10 (version 1903, OS build 18362.418) But I don't think that's really a factor as this is an ongoing problem. I can't get anything Bluetooth to work on my PC. It's not a hardware...
  10. Plug n Play Issue

Plug n Play Issue: Hi All I recently updated to windows 10 bt since then as i plug in my external harddisk it cannot be detected until i reboot the machine again.... Kindly assist Fellows 28530

Users found this page by searching for:

1. are there any plug and play keyboards for Win 10/10.1