Windows 10: Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict?

Discus and support Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thanks again topgundcp. This solved the problem. To verify how well Macrium Rescue performs I tried fixing the boot immediately after backing up? It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Andbb, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Andbb Win User

Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict?

Thanks again topgundcp. This solved the problem.
    To verify how well Macrium Rescue performs I tried fixing the boot immediately after backing up? It worked.

Andbb, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Andbb Win User

I have tried to install Linux Mint, and was warned about installing due to an UEFI conflict. I ignored this warning(!).

After that I have been unable to boot from the harddisk - no Win10 boot no Linux boot.

I have Linux on a stick and have been able to boot that, and verify that the Win10 partitions appear fully intact (for all simple purposes at least).

I have tried reinstalling Linux in other modes but without luck.

Windows/Panther/Setupact.log:2017-12-16 12:19:44, Info IBS Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: BIOS
    I have made a Win10 recovery USB stick and tried using that to re-establish Win10 booting, but without luck:

Sequence of bootrec commands, in accordance with this thread:
    bootmgr not found. bootrec /rebuildbcd and /fixboot give error
    C:\>bootrec /fixmbr
    The operation completed successfully.
    C:\>bootrec /fixboot
    Element not found.
    C:\>bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
    Please wait, since this may take a while...
    Successfully scanned Windows installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 1
    [1] D:\WindowsAdd installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A):a
    Element not found.
    Next step was trying diskpart in accordance with the same thread:C:\>diskpart
    Microsoft DiskPartversion 10.0.16299.15
    Copyright (C)Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer:MININT-FN071TD
    DISKPART> listdisk
    Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 465 GB 9 MB
    Disk 1 Online 7690 MB 0 B
    DISKPART> selectdisk 0
    Disk 0 is now theselected disk.
    DISKPART> listpart
    Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Recovery 2048 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 0 Extended 463 GB 2050 MB
    Partition 2 Logical 435 GB 2051 MB
    Partition 5 Logical 9 GB 437 GB
    Partition 6 Logical 4501 MB 446 GB
    Partition 3 Recovery 1000 MB 451 GB
    Partition 4 Recovery 13 GB 452 GB

DISKPART> selectpart 2
    Partition 2 is nowthe selected partition.
    DISKPART> active
    Virtual Disk Serviceerror:
    The specifiedpartition type is not valid for this operation.
    DISKPART> selectpart 0
    Partition 0 is nowthe selected partition.
    DISKPART> active
    Virtual Disk Serviceerror:
    The specifiedpartition is a not a primary or logical volume.
    DISKPART>I have also attempted installing windows on the Linux HD partition from the recovery USB, but was told that I must boot Windows to accomplish this - which I can't.

From Linux I have run boot-repair, and this is the report:
    Ubuntu Pastebin

Can somebody come up with proposals for next steps - I would really like to avoid wiping my Windows 10; all data is backed up, but SW installs would be a pain to redo.

Thanks in advance!
    Anders

:)

Andbb, Apr 13, 2018
  3. (Very) slow boot - Windows 10 on a PCIe Toshiba SSD - Xiaomi Notebook Air

1 - there are no IDT sound devices

2- a reset had no effect on the slow boot times

My suspicion is that the BIOS was not playing nicely with the second PCIe SSD drive on which Win10 was living. Looking at the boot order options in the BIOS only showed Linux and a Windows UEFI loader that lived on the first SATA SSD drive.

I have now installed Win10 into a Virtualbox virtual machine running under Linux which is good enough for my purposes. It boots more or less instantaneously.....

professordes, Apr 13, 2018
  4. JerryWE Win User

secure boot

Sassejan if you are concerned about dual booting with Linux the newer Linux distros have been made to work with UEFI. There are videos and web sites that explain how to either turn off the UEFI in bios or how to get the Linux distro to install and dual
    boot with UEFI.

JerryWE, Apr 13, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum. If your using uefi then running fix mbr etc has no effect as your on a gpt disk with no mbr. It's likely you have messed the uefi partition which is in effect the boot loader. Magnum reflect has option to fix this so give that a go it's free

Samuria, Apr 13, 2018
  6. Andbb Win User
    Andbb, Apr 13, 2018
  7. Code: bcdboot C:\Windows[/quote] Try recreating your boot files (that's assuming C:, adjust accordingly).

cyberrufus, Apr 13, 2018
  8. Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict?

The OP has an MBR drive and is booting in BIOS mode.

However, the partitioning looks very strange. Which partition is your Windows installation actually located on? Can you provide the exact settings you selected when you installed Mint?

PolarNettles, Apr 13, 2018
  9. Andbb Win User
    Windows 10: Partition 2 Logical 435 GB 2051 MB
    Linux Mint: Partition 5 Logical 9 GB 437 GB
    Linux Mint Swap: Partition 6 Logical 4501 MB 446 GB

Partition 5 was made in Windows for installing Linux, and as far as I recall, later split into partition 5+6 by Linux installer.
    The rest of the partitions are misc. shipped with the PC (Win8, updated to Win10).

I must admit I have been messing with this for some time, so I guess I have tried just about any combination of settings :-(

In the messing around I have also tried bcdboot c:\windows with error - didn't copy the output.

Andbb, Apr 13, 2018
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Your disk 0 is now one big mess.
    Boot up your Recovery. Run diskpart->select disk 0->list volume then post the result.

Do you have an external HD so we can work with ???

EDIT: Also run diskpart->List disk. Does disk 0 has an asterisk under GPT ?

Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict? [​IMG]

Your current disk 0 looks similar to the screen shots below:

The maximum number of partitions on MBR disk type that you can create is 4 so the 4th one becomes Extended (green box) and contains 3 logical partitions.

topgundcp, Apr 13, 2018
  11. Andbb Win User
    @topgundcp
    Can you advice how to make screenshots under the Win10 recovery disk?

Yes I do have an external harddisk - it is used for backup (copy paste of all the files on , but about 500 GB free to play around with.

I will be back shortly with text copy of diskpart output.
    Regards,
    Anders

Andbb, Apr 13, 2018
  12. Andbb Win User
    I attach the output from diskpart copy/paste into notepad.
    No GPT asterisk

diskpart output.txt

Andbb, Apr 13, 2018
  13. topgundcp Win User

There's no utility to make a screen shot with Recovery disk except using your smart phone to take a picture. However, Macrium Reflect Rescue disk does have a little utility called: pescreenshots.exe which you can run then use PrintScreen key to produce a .BMP file of the screen.

From list volume result, drive D (465GB) is your Windows 10 OS which is partition 2 (465GB) from list partition and was converted into a logical disk, that's why you cannot set it to Active, setting Active only works with Primary partition.

IMO, The easiest way to fix this problem is to use Macrium Rescue disk. You can download from my google drive:
    MacRescue.iso - Google Drive

Use: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way to create a bootable USB from MacRescue.iso then boot up.

Here's the steps you need to do:
    • Create a backup image of your partition 2 (465GB) only, verify the image to make sure it's good and store it on the external HD.
    • On the bottom left, click on the command icon, Use diskpart to wipe clean of your disk 0 then re-create a "System Reserved" partition

diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      create par primary size=550MB
      format quick fs=ntfs label="System Reserved"
      select partition 1
      active
      set id=27
      exit

NOTE: You can copy and paste all commands above into a text file to save typing
    • Back to the Macrium screen, click on Backup tab then click on Refresh then go to Restore Tab to restore the backup image Next to System Reserved by drag and drop the Partition, click on "Restored Partition Properties" and set it to "Primary"
    • Once done, click on "Fix Windows Boot Problem" and follow the screen to create a BCD to boot from
    • Reboot.

If you have any problem following the steps. Please ask.

NOTE: Since your disk 0 is so messed up, you won't be able to use the factory recovery so we just clean the whole disk. If needed you can download a copy of Windows 10 ISO then re-install Windows from it.

topgundcp, Apr 13, 2018
  14. Andbb Win User
    Thanks, this will keep the PC busy over the Danish night.
    Hopefully I can report a status my morning.

Andbb, Apr 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict? - Similar Threads - Win10 booting Linux

2. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  3. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  4. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS: I am preparing to reinstall Windows 10 Pro. I am going to do a complete delete-everything reinstall. I am going by the article posted in this community by Greg Carmack - Windows MVP “Clean Install Windows 10” I am going to use the basic Media Creation Tool referenced in the...
  6. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  7. Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu: Recently I wanted to install a Virtual Machine onto my computer, which for my VM requires me to change a setting in the UEFI BIOS menu for it to work. When i tried to load into the UEFI menu, with Settings->Update and Security->Recovery->Advanced Start-up->Restart Now and...
  8. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  9. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu: Belarc reports UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B2 Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494) Installed: 4/27/2016 5:58:22 AM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot. This is my brother’s computer:...
  10. Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI

Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI: Have two SSDs, one for W10 Insider and on other one I just reinstalled Linux Mint with UEFI and GPT partition(s). [img] [img] While both were in "normal legacy BIOS" way, non-UEFI I was able to make it dual BOOT but now my favorite, EasyBCD can't make working BOOT...