Windows 10: Win10/pc wakes up from sleep by itself (is this normal?)

Discus and support Win10/pc wakes up from sleep by itself (is this normal?) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When my PC goes into sleep mode, I noticed that my pc (using Windows10) wakes up by itself intermittently and goes to my login screen or window that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 7of9, Mar 1, 2017.

1. 7of9 Win User

Win10/pc wakes up from sleep by itself (is this normal?)

When my PC goes into sleep mode, I noticed that my pc (using Windows10) wakes up by itself intermittently and goes to my login screen or window that shows my time/date/weather.

This only happens when I'm connected to the internet. Could it be programs trying to auto update? Or Win10 trying to take care of some windows tasks?

I've had other issues:
    1) my speaker level meter randomly appearing on screen - without touching any computer controls whatsoever (keyboard, mouse, speaker volume knobs) Sometimes, the volume goes up really loud, sometimes the volume goes up and down, up and down. then the volume meter will disappear off my desktop again.

2)My multi-monitor hidden task bars will unhide and hide one by one. Lately, after my pc has been on for awhile, my task bars will not stay hidden.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

:)

7of9, Mar 1, 2017

2. PC Wakes from Sleep By Itself

What is the make and model of your computer?

What have you done so far to troubleshoot the problem?

How long has this been happening?

Sometimes your computers firmware, which deals with things like power management, which is related to sleep needs to be updated. Remember, the issue you are experiencing here is outside of Windows, where its not resuming from sleep. Windows is in a saved state
    on the hard disk and can't manage the hardware resources, thats left up to Firmware (your BIOS) to handle. So, its obvious this more a hardware issue than software, but updated driver software can fix it.

It could suggest you need to update your chipset drivers and BIOS.

I recommend you update the most critical ones: BIOS, Chipset, Display Driver, Network adapters.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

If that does not work, I recommend you try two things

First: Boot to the Windows 10 desktop

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Batteries

Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System.

Choose Update Driver Software.

Make sure you are connected to the Internet, the check for updates.

When complete, restart then check if you can sleep and wake.

Second option

uninstall your display driver then restart

Boot to the Windows 10 desktop

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Display adapters

Right click the current display adapter

Click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager

Restart

If that does not work, well, we need to try something else. Try resetting the BIOS:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...

Andre Da Costa, Mar 1, 2017
  3. PC Wakes from Sleep By Itself

Using the Command Prompt, I got the following info on what waked my PC. Can someone explain how to disable this from waking my PC? PLEASE be very specific on the steps as I'm a senior citizen and I'm far from an expert on how to do this, Thanks!

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History [0]

Wake Source Count - 1

Wake Source [0]

Type: Device

Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31&SUBSYS_367D17AA&REV_05\3&11583659&0&A0

Friendly Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

Description: USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller

Manufacturer: Generic USB xHCI Host Controller

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

M22_Tanker, Mar 1, 2017
  4. Win10/pc wakes up from sleep by itself (is this normal?)

Hi 7of9

Sounds like you have the gremlin app.

On your device awakening. When it wakes up sign in and go to command prompt(admin) and enter

powercfg -lastwake

Also note the time it wakes up and see if the event viewer gives you any clues. Last couple of weeks someone found MBAM was the culprit.

On sound, might be driver, you could try updating. Make a restore point before you update so you know you can return to present

Not sure how much use you are making of apps, love them on my phone, not sure about my desktop. I would start settings, click on Privacy, scroll to bottom of left hand list, click on background apps. This may even fix the waking.

Shut off the apps you don't need to run in background, which in my case is just about all. If you don't know someone on the forum should know but you should google your self first.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 2, 2017
  5. 7of9 Win User
    Thanks for answering. I tried powercfg -lastwake.

The dos prompt window opens and immediately closes (practically just a blink). So unable to see any information.

The sound drivers are up to date.

Not using any apps. I basically game/watch tv on this pc. I use Spybot beacon for privacy.

Tried googling the sound issue. No luck.

Thanks anyway.

7of9, Mar 2, 2017
  6. MrWhoopee Win User
    Check "Wake Timers":

Open Control Panel
    click Power Options
    click Change Plan Settings (for whichever power plan is selected)
    click Change Advanced Power Settings
    Press + next to Sleep
    Press + next to Allow Wake Timers
    Disable both

HTH

MrWhoopee, Mar 2, 2017
  7. When you say the Dos window opened for a second I think I may not have stated process in enough detail. The next time it awakens, sign in.

Then right click on start, click on command prompt (admin), The window opens and stays open, then enter the command powercgf -lastwake

For sound, type Troubleshooting into the Cortana search, click on Troubleshooting. The window opens. In upper left click View All, then click "Playing audio". When the trouble shooter opens click on advance, then run as administartor, then next.

I don't use any apps either but by default a bunch run in background.

Did you check event viewer when it wakes. Might also be an idea to check event viewer in the different logs when sound goes crazy. See what is happening.

Have you audited your Startup tab in Task manager.

I like MrWhoopee idea as well.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win10/pc wakes up from sleep by itself (is this normal?)

1. Win10/pc wakes up from sleep by itself (is this normal?) - Similar Threads - Win10 wakes sleep

2. PC not waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not waking up from sleep: I have an HP Pavilion All in One running Windows 11. It is set to go to sleep after 20 minutes of non use - setting as delivered. It has suddenly started to not wake up when pressing a keyboard key and I have to resort to forced power off and power up again. I have checked in...
  3. PC not waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not waking up from sleep: I have an HP Pavilion All in One running Windows 11. It is set to go to sleep after 20 minutes of non use - setting as delivered. It has suddenly started to not wake up when pressing a keyboard key and I have to resort to forced power off and power up again. I have checked in...
  4. Win10 Desktop wakes up from sleep on it's own

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 Desktop wakes up from sleep on it's own: My Win10 Desktop wakes up from sleep on it's own. I've tried all the checks and changes recommended that I can find and none will work. I ran a "powercfg /requests" but am not sure how to read it. Is it saying that the VIA High Def Audio is the item causing a power-on...
  5. Disable Win10 From Waking itself out of sleep

Disable Win10 From Waking itself out of sleep: Every. Single. Time. Every time I put it into sleep mode and it has a few minutes, it will wake itself out of sleep mode. This is incredibly irritating, as I have a dual monitor setup, and one monitor cannot be physically turned off, so windows will move every single window...
  6. Laptop wakes itself up from sleep

Laptop wakes itself up from sleep: Hi, After putting my Dell XPS 13 9370 in sleep mode by closing the lid, it wakes up on its own after a random period of time from minutes to hours. I've taken a look at the event viewer and the culprit always seems to be a sequence of 3 events: Event 1 Log Name:...
  7. PC Continually Waking itself from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC Continually Waking itself from sleep: I basically went into a tech coma for a year and didn't do anything with my computer. In that time, my teenage son devastated my computer. Multiple crashes and virus infestations. I thought I had it cleaned up, but I am having doubts. My computer is constantly waking itself...
  8. PC Continually Waking itself from sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Continually Waking itself from sleep.: I basically went into a tech coma for a year and didn't do anything with my computer. In that time, my teenage son devastated my computer. Multiple crashes and virus infestations. I thought I had it cleaned up, but I am having doubts. My computer is constantly waking itself...
  9. Laptop keeps waking up from sleep by itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop keeps waking up from sleep by itself: After the latest update (1909 I think), my laptop keeps waking itself up from sleep and won’t go back to sleep. It does this no matter if I manually click sleep or shut the lid. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? I have an MSI GS65 if that matters. submitted by...
  10. PC waking up by itself from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    PC waking up by itself from sleep: Since installing the 1903 update (running W10 Pro), I've noticed on several occasions that my PC has turned itself on from sleep... I've done some investigating and found the following is waking up the PC: [img] What is "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start" exactly and...