Windows 10: Win10 Photo Viewer intermittent functioning, need to reboot often

Discus and support Win10 Photo Viewer intermittent functioning, need to reboot often in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Have been reading 10 Forums for some time and it appears it's a great site *Smile Have a question: Had Win7, but the HD failed and my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jaecht83, Jun 24, 2017.

1. jaecht83 Win User

Win10 Photo Viewer intermittent functioning, need to reboot often

Have been reading 10 Forums for some time and it appears it's a great site *Smile

Have a question: Had Win7, but the HD failed and my computer repair team put me in an SSD with Win10. It works and I got rid of the bloatware. I also edited the registry w/the keys to install Photo Viewer based on some of the links from this site (downloaded them), and then set photos to be viewed by PV by default.

However, sometimes it doesn't work often. I'll boot the computer and it'll give me "Windows Photo Viewer could not support these file types or you do not have the latest updates to Photo Viewer." But then I'll reboot and it'll be fine.

I tried going back to "Photos" as the win10 app and tried to access as administrator but then I got an error that said:
    It shows the error message "This access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one".

I even tried running the sfc /scannow from the elevated command prompt and got the message:
    "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios."

I'm not sure if any of these are related but wanted to check! Thank you all *Smile

:)

jaecht83, Jun 24, 2017
  2. Lampshuk Win User

Cannot set Windows Mail App as default email client

Here's an interesting development:

If I open a picture (eg JPG) in File Explorer in Win10, then use the "share" function to email it, somehow the Windows photo viewer application is able to find the mail client, and send the picture.

However, it doesn't work from File Explorer.

This might just about provide me the functionality I need for quick photo sharing, but the photo viewer doesn't give the option to reduce the photo size before sending (which File Explorer does) so it's not so useful.

Does anyone from Microsoft actually read this forum?

If so: Are you all so lazy that you can't be bothered to address questions that aren't easy to solve?

Lampshuk, Jun 24, 2017
  3. CFMoore Win User
    After installing the November update to Windows 10, Photo Viewer no longer works.

As I was testing functions about a successful November (3gb) update to Win10, Windows Photo Viewer would not open pictures. The error message said that it could not find "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Gallery\Photo Viewer.dll" It was my default viewer.

First I searched Answers with no help. Then I started testing all the photo viewers on my machine. (All my picture files are jpg.) I right-clicked on pictures, selected Open With and was given a choice of Microsoft Office Picture Manager, Paint, Photo,
    Windows Live Photo Gallery, and Windows Photo Viewer. I proceeded to use each of these in turn to see what would be a good alternative if I could not get Photo Viewer to work.

I repeated the tests with several different pictures. After about three hours, the Open With option Photo Viewer disappeared.

His something wrong with my software, or has Microsoft deliberately disabled Windows Photo Viewer to force the use of the Photo app?

CFMoore, Jun 24, 2017
  4. sygnus21 Win User

I'm not sure what you did, but you definitely shouldn't be getting the issue you're getting if you followed the instructions here - How to Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10. Especially stop one to install, step two to remove.

Also, what files are you trying to open in Photo Viewer?

As for your corrupt files and other system issues, if you've got a Windows 10 disk of file, you could try doing a repair install and seeing how that works. This won't remove your files and program, but simply try to repair damaged or missing files - Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Good luck.

sygnus21, Jun 24, 2017
  5. jaecht83 Win User
    Also, what files are you trying to open in Photo Viewer?
    Just standard .jpg photos! It works most of the time but sometimes I have to reboot. I know the download link will update the registry w/that.
    As for your corrupt files and other system issues, if you've got a Windows 10 disk of file, you could try doing a repair install and seeing how that works. This won't remove your files and program, but simply try to repair damaged or missing files - Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

For that I ran the sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt, then diskhealth and that worked. Ran scannow a second time and it fixed it. I had gotten an SSD upgrade and they put it in for me, so I don't have any user disks.

jaecht83, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 Photo Viewer intermittent functioning, need to reboot often - Similar Threads - Win10 Photo Viewer

2. Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion: Many of us create photo albums, slideshows etc. from picture folders. If these folders are extensive and one wants to select specific images for a new project, it is quite cumbersome going back and forth to get the filenames of the images from the photo album.It would be nice...
  3. Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion: Many of us create photo albums, slideshows etc. from picture folders. If these folders are extensive and one wants to select specific images for a new project, it is quite cumbersome going back and forth to get the filenames of the images from the photo album.It would be nice...
  4. Win10 Photo Viewer Suggestion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Jpgs won't open in emails and Photo Viewer is working intermittently

Jpgs won't open in emails and Photo Viewer is working intermittently: Hi! I see many questions on jpgs not opening, but I still can't get it to work 100% for me. I have a pretty new Dell desktop with Windows 10. 2 posts said to look for this which I did. I checked and under default Apps, the Photo Viewer/Photos icon is listed it came with...
  6. PC recognition on W10 Network often needs a reboot

PC recognition on W10 Network often needs a reboot: I am using a W10 Home Peer to Peer network, Often a remote PC needs to be rebooted to be visible on the 'network' on other PC's Is there a way to automate this - like all PC's restarting something regulary?...
  7. file system errors in photo viewer in win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file system errors in photo viewer in win10: when using photo viewer on a win10 machine to view photos wont open them get a file system error? can view it thru paint https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-system-errors-in-photo-viewer-in-win10/6ddb3f63-5673-4e3d-848a-f195d19b8366
  8. Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer

Win10 refuses to change the default photo viewer: I just did a fresh Win10 reinstall on Sunday and I always prefer to use the old Windows Photo Viewer from Vista and 7. But when I choose 'open with' then check 'always use this app' for a picture it opens that time correctly but continues to default using the Win10 Photos app...
  9. Photo Viewer is intermittent, and I have to restart often

Photo Viewer is intermittent, and I have to restart often: I was successfully able to open Windows Photo Viewer after installing the patch that allows me to use that instead of Photo. However, sometimes when my computer comes out of sleep it won't let me do it and I have to reboot it. My computer disconnects from the internet when it...
  10. Win10 needs F8 functionality

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 needs F8 functionality: Win10 needs F8 functionality at boot time. I have a system that updated, and now just crasheses and restarts. OCCASIONALLY it will boot to the repair menu, but there is no way to call it at boot. VERY frustrating! *Sad 22104