Windows 10: Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one

Discus and support Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; and of course I have no idea where my record of my product key for Win10 Pro retail got hidden. I've tried the CMD and Powershell methods and no go.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 10fused, Aug 15, 2018.

1. 10fused Win User

Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one

and of course I have no idea where my record of my product key for Win10 Pro retail got hidden.

I've tried the CMD and Powershell methods and no go.

How do I get my product key so I can use it my new machine?

I am posting from the old one that has the key right now.

:)

10fused, Aug 15, 2018
  2. EliSherer Win User

Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 - Unique Product Key situation

No... let me try again.

• Old computer is running Win7 Pro (SP1) with a Product key I have from a few years ago. The Product is activated already, but I do NOT use this computer at this point, so I didn't worry about using the Product key when moving to the new computer (see below).
    • New computer is running Win10 Pro, with data and OS migrated from the Old computer, (same Product key as above), then Upgraded to Win10 (without getting a new Product Key).
    What I am trying to do now...

• I want to upgrade the OLD computer (Win7 Pro) to Windows 10... using a new Product Key I just purchased.
    • I have tried to do this internally, and also using the ISO burned to a thumb drive. But it does not want to work.
    • Steps:
      • Start from USB drive.
      • Enter New Product Key (or click "I don't have one").
      • Install initiates and then tells me to restart from Windows and then open the installer again to continue.
        • At this point, I actually need to Quit the installation to restart the machine.
      • When restarted, I go to the USB drive and restart/resume the installation process.
      • I have tried to download and not to download updates, but when the installation fails, I see the message, "Something happened" and "Setup has failed to validate the product key".
      • NOTE This happens if I enter the NEW Windows 10 Product Key, or if I skip that step (which I assume means that it will use the old Windows 7 Key for the upgrade).

EliSherer, Aug 15, 2018
  3. Reusing upgrade key to Win10 Pro on a new machine

I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 Pro (from Home) and then shortly after that it stopped working due to a corrupted drive. It was unrecoverable and I wasn't able to uninstall/deactivate Windows on this device. I bought a new device with a fresh version
    of Windows 10 Home, and I wanted to use the same key to upgrade, but when I attempted the upgrade on the new machine it told me the key was invalid. I assume this was because the old machine is still "using" the key. Is there a way to decommission non-usable
    machines or remotely deactivate product keys via a support request or some other means?

MarkLabrecque, Aug 15, 2018
  4. shar013 Win User

Swap product keys between machines

I have a now deceased PC with Windows 10 Pro and a new laptop with Windows 10 Home. In the process of moving all my files to the new machine, the power supply of the old machine blew up. I'd like to swap the product keys and eventually resurrect the old
    one. Is this easily done (the swapping I mean)?

shar013, Aug 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one - Similar Threads - Win10 Pro Product

2. HELP! Need proof of purchase Product Key, Win10 Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! Need proof of purchase Product Key, Win10 Pro Upgrade: I lost my upgrade Product Key Home to Pro when system crashed and had to re-install the original OS from Dell. I do have the $100 receipt from MS Store for the upgrade last Sept but it doesn't provide the PK....
  3. HELP! Need proof of purchase Product Key, Win10 Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP! Need proof of purchase Product Key, Win10 Pro Upgrade: I lost my upgrade Product Key Home to Pro when system crashed and had to re-install the original OS from Dell. I do have the $100 receipt from MS Store for the upgrade last Sept but it doesn't provide the PK....
  4. HELP! Need proof of purchase Product Key, Win10 Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Product key for win10 Pro

Product key for win10 Pro: How can I get a product key for Win 10 Pro? I upgraded from Home edition online at Start menu and paid the $99 fee.At first I got an error code 0x80070005. I rebooted and according to "System/About" I have Win 10 Enterprise but I can't activate without either a product key or...
  6. Win7 Pro Retail upgraded free to Win10 Pro need my product key.......

Win7 Pro Retail upgraded free to Win10 Pro need my product key.......: Hi, i built my pc years ago. Win7 Pro Retail upgraded free to Win10 Pro need my product key....... so i can reinstall fresh and start over. I cant find my retail box but the OS is registered and activated to me. How can i find this within my pc?...
  7. New product key needed

New product key needed: My mate sold me his old laptop after he upfraded os from windows 8 to windows 10 pro. Now every time i turn on the laptop it asks for an activation key. Can i purchase the activation key on its own without buying the os software?...
  8. Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one

Transferring windows product key from old motherboard to new one: I changed my hardware very recently (motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram), and now i noticed my windows isn't activated. I tried the troubleshooter, but to no avail. When I try to reactivate my windows 10 by selecting my current device, i get a message "Unable to activate windows. We...
  9. Win10 Pro Product Key

Win10 Pro Product Key: I upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro a few years ago. I am now receiving a message in Settings saying that my product key is for Win 10 Home. This is not correct. It is, and always had been, a valid and activated installation of Win10 Pro. Why is this happening?...
  10. Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one: and of course I have no idea where my record of my product key for Win10 Pro retail got hidden. I've tried the CMD and Powershell methods and no go. How do I get my product key so I can use it my new machine? I am posting from the old one that has the key right now. 116036