Windows 10: Win10 Reset This PC/Recovery Drive fails, overwrites wrong drive!

Discus and support Win10 Reset This PC/Recovery Drive fails, overwrites wrong drive! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; System: Lenovo Thinkpad P51, 2 drives, 1 x NVMe, 1 x HDD. I replaced the NVMe drive and attempted to reinstall Windows using a USB Recovery drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rct0, Jul 19, 2018.

1. rct0 Win User

Win10 Reset This PC/Recovery Drive fails, overwrites wrong drive!

System: Lenovo Thinkpad P51, 2 drives, 1 x NVMe, 1 x HDD.

I replaced the NVMe drive and attempted to reinstall Windows using a USB Recovery drive created on this system before any problems. This failed and would have resulted in data loss if I didn't have other backups. From my perspective, there seem to be a number of critical bugs in this recovery environment for machines with more than 1 drive.

Steps:

1. booted from USB recovery drive
    2. Select Troubleshoot
    3. Select Recover from a drive
    4. Select either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive

Result:

1. Appears to be working, but fails at 77% in. Error message "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."
    2. There was no prompt for which drive to use. The existing HDD was silently repartitioned. No changes were made is an incorrect statement. There was no windows install on the HDD.
    3. The repartitioned HDD was never made bootable. So the system still can't boot into Windows.

Problems/Bugs:

1. No prompt for which drive to reset/install windows on.
    2. No information about which drive has been selected before prompting to proceed.
    3. Misleading information "No changes were made". when one of the drives had been repartitioned.
    4. No information about what failed or how to get to any logs. How should someone attempt to troubleshoot the problem?
    5. There doesn't seem to be an option to force a particular drive to be used as the system drive.
    6. Some of the menus for Troubleshoot are lacking "Back". In some cases you need to select an operation before you get to a point where you can hit cancel. There are no assurances when you select those options that you will be given a chance to cancel.

Questions:

1. Is the reset my PC / Recovery drive utility usable on a multi-drive system?
    2. Without physically removing drives (the bios/uefi doesn't have a disable option AFAICT) how do I set which drive is the system drive to be installed/updated/etc.?
    3. Should I be attempting to file any bug reports?

Note: I'm aware that I should be able to use the media creation tool on another system to do a generic Windows 10 install. However, I'd prefer to reinstall the factory environment with the OEM drivers already installed.

:)

2. Recovery from failed hard drive

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the following questions;

• What is the make and model of the hard drive?

• Did you get any error messages while using the failed hard drive?

• When you say failed hard drive, are you referring to external hard drive or internal hard drive?

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article, which explains about the recovery option in Windows 10 and check if it help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Get back to us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Jul 19, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Recovery drive error - Can't create a recovery drive on this PC

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Do you have enough space in your external drive or disk?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Have you created a recovery media previously on the computer?
    As per the issue description, it seems like you are unable to create a system image recovery driver using a USB drive on the computer as it prompts an error message “We cannot create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and try to create a recovery drive and check if it helps.

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.

• When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select Next.

• Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.

• When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select Delete. If
      not, select Finish.
    You can also use Windows 10 media creation tool to troubleshoot problems when your PC can't start.

Here is the link:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 19, 2018
  4. Rey Cam Win User

Create a Recovery Drive?

Hi Kaspaz,

Let us first check the recovery drive creation process that you have done. Below is a step by step process of creating a recovery drive:

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive
      is selected and then select Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create.
      A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC
      link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

If you have done the same steps above and the rest of your file is still not showing.
    Please post back some details:

• Which drive are you referring to?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing?
    • Besides creating a recovery drive, have you done any other changes on your computer?
    • What is the make and model of your USB hard drive device?
    • Have you tried plugging it on another port?
    • What is the current version and build number of your Windows 10 Computer? To know these details, follow the steps below:
      • Select the Start button.
      • Type About your PC.
      • Press Enter to find out the version and build number of your Windows 10 PC.

Let us know the result after performing the troubleshooting steps and if your concern was left unresolved, kindly get back to us with the answers to our inquiry, so that we can assist you further.

Rey Cam, Jul 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 Reset This PC/Recovery Drive fails, overwrites wrong drive! - Similar Threads - Win10 Reset Recovery

2. No option to Reset PC Recovery drive Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to Reset PC Recovery drive Boot: I am using Windows 8.1 on broken laptop. I have successfully created a USB recovery drive using another laptop. I manage to load OS from USB on broken laptop. It asks for my keyboard settings. I click English. I then click Troubleshoot. It takes me to Advanced options. None...
  3. No option to Reset PC Recovery drive Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to Reset PC Recovery drive Boot: I am using Windows 8.1 on broken laptop. I have successfully created a USB recovery drive using another laptop. I manage to load OS from USB on broken laptop. It asks for my keyboard settings. I click English. I then click Troubleshoot. It takes me to Advanced options. None...
  4. Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive: Trying to reset my lenovo Y700. Created a recovery drive on a flash drive, booted from it to the reset tool. Tried reseting with "Just remove my files" option, failed with the following message "There was a problem reseting your PC.No changes were made." Tried resetting...
  5. Recovery drive on Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery drive on Win10: Dear Community I'm running win10 home edition , I tried to create recovery drive, but ended up with the screen saying "A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive" without any error code. Kindly refer the screenshot below and suggest me the...
  6. Bitlocker encrypting Recovery Drive on wrong machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker encrypting Recovery Drive on wrong machine: I moved a non-windows hard drive from the Bitlocker device to a different device with Windows but no Bitlocker. I chose the 'encrypt everything' option in BL when I was messing around with it. submitted by /u/gjdhzcnq [link] [comments]...
  7. Reset & Drive Clean Failed

Reset & Drive Clean Failed: After being stuck in the restart failed loop, I managed to restore my laptop to a previous date, back up files and reset the laptop which failed. After seeking further advice I decided to do a complete drive clean up however this has also failed....
  8. Failed Recovery from Drive

Failed Recovery from Drive: In an attempt to get my PC healthy again, after a blue screen of death loop. I managed to get into safe mode and reset the system. This failed and now I am unable to recover from a drive. The error screen states: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The Boot...
  9. "Wrong" Version used to make recovery drive from another Win10 pc, recovered OK but now...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "Wrong" Version used to make recovery drive from another Win10 pc, recovered OK but now...: I had to create a recovery drive from my work PC after BSOD on our family laptop i had no choice and nothing i read suggested the version of Win10 was important when creating the recovery drive but after finally getting the family laptop back into life it will not activate...
  10. failed to create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    failed to create recovery drive: after copyinng part of windows recovery, i get a notice, error drive cannot be completed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-create-recovery-drive/ff6e76f8-322b-479d-8f32-3567f97a1656