Windows 10: win10 says every downloaded file comes from a different pc?

Discus and support win10 says every downloaded file comes from a different pc? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; win10 says every downloaded file comes from a different pc and asks if im sure i want to open it. this is opening the files from file explorer, not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ksdixon, Apr 25, 2016.

1. ksdixon Win User

win10 says every downloaded file comes from a different pc?

win10 says every downloaded file comes from a different pc and asks if im sure i want to open it.

this is opening the files from file explorer, not firefox, where that question is expected. windows smartscreen and user account control nagging screens are turned off.

right clicking a file and going to properties, and unblocking the file will allow it to open-up without the nag screen, as it should.

:)

ksdixon, Apr 25, 2016

2. Administrator authority to move files

Upgraded from Win7 to Win10.

I'm always signed in as Administrator.

Every time I try to move a file, say from the Desktop to a Folder, or between folders, the dialog box comes up saying I need permission, requiring me to click OK and proceed. What a nuisance.

Is there a way to avoid the constant requirement to approve my own choice?

WilliamAndersen, Apr 25, 2016
  3. RandMart Win User
    I can't get Win10 upgrades to work.

I have been using Win10 since last November then, about 2 weeks ago a message showed up saying I need to download the most current version of Win10. It also said that because I wasn't running the most current version of Win10 I would also get the Win10
    Update Assistant (version 1607). Well, first I downloaded the Win10 Update Assistant. After that, I tried to download the new version of Win10. I had been running version 1511 (OS build 10586.633) and I was trying to update to

Version 1607 (OS build 14393). This is suppose to be the newest Version out. I have tried 5 different times to install the new Win10 update and every time there has been some kind of problem. The first and third times it said that my computer wasn't compatible
    and wouldn't run Win10. I know that isn't right because I've been running Win10 for 11 months. Also, when you first start the download a page comes up that says that everything is compatible to run the download. Then the second, fourth and fifth times I tried
    the download at the very end a page came up that said it wasn't able to finish the download because something went wrong. It said that there was an error code Oxc1900200. Please, can somebody help me with this?

Thanks,

RandMart, Apr 25, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

That's correct. If a file on your computer was downloaded from the internet, it came from another computer. It will ask you that no matter where you open it from, until you unblock it in properties.

simrick, Apr 25, 2016
  5. ksdixon Win User
    Sarcasm?

This dialouge box was never thrown up in previous versions of windows, and I'm pretty sure it didn't happen on another win10 computer i had.

sometimes it would appear, say if I was opening a .exe from Firefox's download window from within the browser. Not for every single file type (.mp4, .jpg etc) that I am attempting to launch from File Explorer.

ksdixon, May 2, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    No, it wasn't, and I am not being sarcastic.

win10 says every downloaded file comes from a different pc? [​IMG]

simrick, May 2, 2016
  7. derekimo Win User
    derekimo, May 2, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Oops! I stand corrected! *Smile

simrick, May 2, 2016
  9. derekimo Win User
    Didn't notice your comment @simrick *Smile

I was commenting on this,

derekimo, May 2, 2016
  10. Yep Windows has done that for a while

You can use PowerShell to unblock multiple files.
    see: Easily Unblock All Files in a Directory Using PowerShell | Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog

I think the setting is tied to Internet security settings. Objects downloaded from Trusted sites might not be flagged as blocked - not sure though.

Slartybart, May 2, 2016
  11. ksdixon Win User
    Wow, weird.

It's it's truely as widespread as you guys say (shows when opening normal filetypes from File Explorer for every file downloaded from internet), then apparently I've not run into it before now.

ksdixon, May 2, 2016
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Does UAC have an effect on this? I run with UAC set to minimum (Never notify) and never see it.

Ztruker, May 3, 2016
  13. win10 says every downloaded file comes from a different pc?

I read the post again and methinks we jumped the gun.

Yes every file downloaded is flagged, but

ksdixon is asking about other file types (mp4, jpg, etc).

I just tried opening an mp4 and a jpg file that were flagged and neither one presented the UAC dialog.

ks - what application are you using to open the files from Explorer?

The only thing I can think of is file association out of whack. In other words, the machine thinks the filetype is an executable.

Slartybart, May 3, 2016
  14. ksdixon Win User
    video files: Media Player Classic (part of the K-Lite Media Codec Pack)
    picture files: Windows Photo Viewer (restored it with a reg file from here)

That might be on the right lines regarding the File Associations being messed-up. Win10 reguarly resets to the modern app defaults despite me downloading a reg file from here to tell it not to.

As a temporary solution, rather than manually and individually unblocking each file in the right-click properties window, I went to Internet Options and changed something in the Advanced tab so that the dialouge box doesn't appear anymore.

ksdixon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. win10 says every downloaded file comes from a different pc? - Similar Threads - win10 says every

2. Every time I download a large file, my pc always comes up with an error on the WiFi card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I download a large file, my pc always comes up with an error on the WiFi card: Title, it either says that the default gateway isn’t accessible, or that the diagnostics policy service isn’t running, and I’ve turned off the thing in the settings that allows windows to turn it off to save power, and I’ve checked that my drivers are updated....
  3. Every time I download a large file, my pc always comes up with an error on the WiFi card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Every time I download a large file, my pc always comes up with an error on the WiFi card: Title, it either says that the default gateway isn’t accessible, or that the diagnostics policy service isn’t running, and I’ve turned off the thing in the settings that allows windows to turn it off to save power, and I’ve checked that my drivers are updated....
  4. Hi every time I download a file eg:pdf , the file gets downloaded in file format. it says"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi every time I download a file eg:pdf , the file gets downloaded in file format. it says"...: Hi every time I download a file eg:pdf , the file gets downloaded in file format. When I go to properties to figure out what type of file it is, it says" File type: File" and there is no option to change that. Can someone help me fix this?...
  5. Hi every time I download a file eg:pdf , the file gets downloaded in file format. it says"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi every time I download a file eg:pdf , the file gets downloaded in file format. it says"...: Hi every time I download a file eg:pdf , the file gets downloaded in file format. When I go to properties to figure out what type of file it is, it says" File type: File" and there is no option to change that. Can someone help me fix this?...
  6. Downloading apps from a different pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloading apps from a different pc: A couple years ago, I bought Minecraft windows 10 edition on my asus laptop. I do not use this laptop anymore as i have a brand new pc. I really want to get Minecraft but when i try to add it says i dont own it. someone please please:...
  7. Win10 upgrade 1809 from Win 10 deleted every file on my pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 upgrade 1809 from Win 10 deleted every file on my pc: All of it. The thing showed up today, automatically, then there was nothing left. Tears of joy for a clean computer uncluttered by anything of use to me ! Upgrade is most certainly NOT fixed. No warning at all this would happen and assuring people it is fixed will...
  8. Restore Files from Backup of Different PC ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Files from Backup of Different PC ?: I have an external hard drive that has two sets of backups (using Win 7 Backup & Restore). One set of backups is for my current PC (running Win10 after upgrade from Win 7) and another set of backups is for my previous PC (running Win 7). I'd like to look for something in the...
  9. Every file comes with a lock image on it

in Windows 10 Support
    Every file comes with a lock image on it: I was messing around with encrypting personal individual files. Now everytime I download an image from the internet it comes with a lock icon on it. I can still use it but I have to right click and disable it. It's very annoying. Any idea on how to return it back to normal?...
  10. Any official way to transfer data from a WIN10 PC to a different WIN10

in Windows 10 Support
    Any official way to transfer data from a WIN10 PC to a different WIN10: Howdy, I don't need to migrate apps. I just need to migrate data and settings if possible. Is there an automated way like the old Easy Transfer program where I can run a program one the Old and New computers and jsut have it go through and copy all the docs, picture,...