Windows 10: Win10 screen resolution

Discus and support Win10 screen resolution in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my new Dell Inspiron mini-tower from Win8.1 to Win10. I noticed that icons on the desktop were chopped-off on the left side of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by jhearcht, Aug 28, 2015.

1. jhearcht Win User

Win10 screen resolution

I recently upgraded my new Dell Inspiron mini-tower from Win8.1 to Win10. I noticed that icons on the desktop were chopped-off on the left side of the screen. So I tried various screen resolutions to make the display better fit the 17" monitor. Win10 kept suggesting that the normal resolution was 2040x1152, but the identical display on my old XP computer is at 1280x1024. When I finally tried the suggested resolution, the screen went black and only an error message was seen : "analog input. Windows cannot display this resolution". Unfortunately, with no display I was unable to go back to the original resolution. So I ended up wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Win8.1 before I could upgrade again to Win10.

Now I'm back to square one. And the icons are still chopped off. I tried the display slider at 125% scale, but that didn't help. I would appreciate any suggestions for getting my monitor to display all of the content without getting too small, or slicing off the edges. As I said before 1280x1024 looks good on XP. Thanks for your support.

:)

jhearcht, Aug 28, 2015
  2. BossDweeb Win User

fullscreen issues for games in windows 10

"it's the issue of your os.i found same issue on this forum so please help me get rid of this very issue..."

Yes, it is an issue with Win10, but it is intentional. This cannot be fixed. You cannot force wide screen in Win10.

Games which use a resolution that is not native to a wide screen format ( eg- 1024x768, 1280x1024, etc )

will not run full/wide screen on Win10.

Win10 screen scaling was designed to override your graphics processors scaling options, and forces the

aspect ratio that suits (native to) the resolution.

My understanding is this was done to make scaling on external devices such as phones more reliable.

- The only way to get a full screen image with low resolution is to use a low res that has a 16:9 aspect ratio

(assuming a typical desktop monitor). If the game has an option for such resolutions

(COD 2 has an option for 1280x720 which runs full wide screen).

"should i downgrade to windows 8.1 again???"

I you want or need the game wide screen are are using a resolution that is native to 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio...

Yes! For sure! Especially if there is nothing in Win10 you really need. There is certainly nothing in Win10 that will benefit games of this vintage in any way.

BossDweeb, Aug 28, 2015
  3. ThomKeel Win User
    Win10 changes screen resolution

After upgrading from Win7 to 10 the screen resolution keeps changing. The screen gets larger, knocking off some of the page and also the Windows icon at the bottom next to Cortana. Have checked with computer manufacturer and all drivers are up to date.

How can this be fixed? Am seriously disappointed with Win10.

ThomKeel, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Win10 screen resolution

If you've upgraded and activated Windows 10, you can now do a clean install and skip the upgrade process. When asked to enter a product key, just click skip, it will activate. It activates against the hardware ID stored during the first activation. You can download install media for a clean install here. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

Do you know what the native resolution is for that model screen? That is normally what Windows will use by default? If it's recommending another resolution my guess is your Video drivers need to be updated. What does it show in device manager for that screen, is it identified correctly? If you image is just off center and too far to the left, you should be able to center it again with the monitor menu controls.

alphanumeric, Aug 28, 2015
  5. jhearcht Win User
    alpha
    The monitor is set at its native resolution, but the edges of the display seem to be cut off. I tried the control buttons on the monitor to change the display size. That should fix the problem, but it doesn't do anything. I reduced the icon size, but they are still chopped off. It's not a major problem, more aesthetic than practical. The twin of this monitor on my old XP PC looks right, but Win10 seems to have different default settings for screen size. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

jhearcht, Aug 28, 2015
  6. pyramid10 Win User
    You've not mentioned drivers. Windows 10 generic video card drivers aren't fully capable. It failed to identify my video card. And the resolutions it offered were half the size of the external monitor's capability.

pyramid10, Aug 30, 2015
  7. I don't have any other suggestions at the moment.

alphanumeric, Aug 30, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Win10 screen resolution

@jhearcht

I had similar problems with a few installations. Downloading/installing chipset and graphics drivers from Intel plus the latest drivers from Nvidia fixed all the issues. I've found that Win10 does not always install the correct software automatically. After making the changes I make sure to use Microsoft Hide & Show Updates utility to [hopefully] prevent Win10 from automatically changing the newly installed drivers..

Hope this helps *Smile

WhyMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win10 screen resolution

1. Win10 screen resolution - Similar Threads - Win10 screen resolution

2. Win10 Unusable Resolution.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Unusable Resolution.: Earlier this year I bought and installed Windows 10 on a desktop computer and, up until 8/13/20, the computer had been running fine at a resolution of 1920 x 1080. On 8/12/20, windows forced and update on the OS. The next morning I turned my PC on and it finished installing...
  3. Screen Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen Resolution: My "recommended" screen resolution is no longer an option and my display does not fill the entire monitor. EVERY time Microsoft does an update, this happens to me. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! So frustrating! Usually I can re-set my display settings but this time it will not....
  4. Change Win10 1909 screen resolution for real

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Win10 1909 screen resolution for real: I have a PC that works amazingly well at 1920x1080, but it's normally going to be connected to a 4k monitor, and while it thinks it can handle 2160p, it actually constantly shows corruption. Up until 1909 this wasn't a problem, it's easy to change the resolution. (And yes,...
  5. Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update: I have an older Sony portable PC with a Core2 Duo CPU and Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (MS WDDM 1.1) (GMA 4500MDH) video. This PC still meets my needs and the screen quality is still far better than the vast majority of portable PCs being sold today. This PC ran...
  6. Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update: I have an older Sony portable PC with a Core2 Duo CPU and Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (MS WDDM 1.1) (GMA 4500MDH) video. This PC still meets my needs and the screen quality is still far better than the vast majority of portable PCs being sold today. This PC ran...
  7. Screen Resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen Resolution: Hello, My Dell U3818DW is running Windows 10. This monitor is connected to NVIDIA NVS 510, which max resolution is 3840x2160. In display settings the highest resolution it lets me pick is 1920x1080. Windows help suggest I update my graphics driver, but Windows Update...
  8. Screen resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen resolution: Hello How do I change the screen resolution to 1600 x 900 in windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/screen-resolution/0e331887-527d-4cb1-875c-e3a070c88589
  9. Screen resolution problem on Dell laptop after installing Win10!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution problem on Dell laptop after installing Win10!: Hi guys.I'm new her on forum and I have a problem with my Dell laptop,model m5110 with AMD A8 3500m and AMD Radeon HD 6220 graphic card.The problem is that I can't change resolution to higher one than 1024x768 and before that on WIn7 recommended resolution was 1366x768.Can...
  10. How to change resolution in Win10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to change resolution in Win10: Hi, This is my first post in Win10 after much help in the Win 7 forum. How do I change the resolution in Win 10 64? And, how do I access help in this OS? As info: I'm old fashioned, so I got rid of all of those blue "apps" that are in the START menu. Perhaps there...