Windows 10: Win10 share works until updates(2 weeks to a month) and permission end

Discus and support Win10 share works until updates(2 weeks to a month) and permission end in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Searched thru post, lots of near misses but no solution to my issue. Only on windows 10 does this problem exist. I connect office equipment to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ketchup, May 11, 2016.

1. Ketchup Win User

Win10 share works until updates(2 weeks to a month) and permission end

Searched thru post, lots of near misses but no solution to my issue. Only on windows 10 does this problem exist.
    I connect office equipment to customers pcs/networks. I use a script to create a hidden/special user that has admin permissions plus makes me a share folder. I then share out the folder with read/write permissions for the hidden user. It works great for days or weeks...until what seems to be win10 updates come across and my permission gets removed. The user is still there, the folder is still shared, but my user no longer works. If I create another user the same way, it works again until some time later.
    Now the kicker is, this only happens on about 5% of my customers, other win10 installs have worked and still work. Its only some computers doing this. When I look at share permissions, full access is on. Now I have not tried the "everyone" permission.
    Any suggestions?

:)

Ketchup, May 11, 2016
  2. BradB.42 Win User

Closed network shared files left in read only status

Hello,

I work for a small business with less than 10 employees.

All computers in the office are running Windows 10, fully updated to the most recent March 2017 updates (all systems will be updated to the April 2017 updates by the end of the week - today is patch Tuesday).

All computers in the office are running Office 365, version 16.0.7870.2031.

We have a network share off of a Windows 10 computer, all employees are in a group that has read/write permissions for this shared folder. This setup has worked for us for several years and we have not had any issues since upgrading to Windows 10. No
    changes to the folders or permissions have been made.

Over the last 2 months, we've experienced a lot of documents opening as Read-Only.

Historically, the only time we see "read-only" is if another user has the same document open.

In this case, no other user has the documents open.

On the Windows 10 system that is acting as a file share, I'm seeing that the users are listed as having as many as 700+ files open when they don't have any files open.

It appears that something in the linking of the files is breaking when the files are open, saved or closed and that is leaving them in a permanent state of no access or read-only until such time that I close out all the sessions.

I've seen similar reports of this happening as far back as 2008, but I haven't seen any solutions.

Any advice on how to fix this is appreciated.

Thanks!

BradB.42, May 11, 2016
  3. Another update won't install - KB4025339

I've gone months and months with my Windows 10 Cumulative updates
    all unable to install. I've followed the steps as prescribed by Microsoft and spent hours and hours of time trying to fix the issue, but always to no avail, so I always end up just blocking the updates so they stop trying to install.
    I'd rather go back to the version of Windows that was installed on my computer. Every time an update is released, my computer tries to install it multiple times a day for a week or 2 until I just block it. Not the way it's supposed to work I'm sure.

TropicSign28416, May 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Win10 share works until updates(2 weeks to a month) and permission end - Similar Threads - Win10 share works

2. sharing and permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing and permissions: I need help so bad, been to other forums no one answers I bought new Dell PC and I cannot view my own files and folders on my external hard drive, it just tells me I don't have permissions, I have tried to grant access it just won't let me. ugg, Anyone????????? Oh I am new...
  3. Permissions and Sharing

Permissions and Sharing: I just bought a new PC with windows 10 home pre-installed, I have an external hard drive with music and movies and when I try and view or hear one I get, "You don't have permission to view this, I have tried all the online advice and still I cannot even see my own stuff, any...
  4. Sharing permission

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing permission: Hi all So for Onedrive, the company I work for have made the decision to turn off the share to all share settings. We have an HR admin who wants to share resources with perspective clients via a link in an email that takes them to a folder/files about the company. I thought...
  5. Need help with Win10 Network Sharing Permissions

Need help with Win10 Network Sharing Permissions: Hello there, I need help configuring network access to remote machine folders. Here is the scenario: my remote machine is at Site-A this machine have several network shared folders, one of which is the location of my projects working copy (let's name it "My Projects") I...
  6. My PC updated overnight without my permission (after a few weeks or months without...

My PC updated overnight without my permission (after a few weeks or months without...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ratbagthecannibal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hq0ulk/my_pc_updated_overnight_without_my_permission/
  7. Error 10016 Crashing applications incessantly for months on end. Updating permissions for...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 10016 Crashing applications incessantly for months on end. Updating permissions for...: Windows 10 ver 1903. These applications have been totally unusable for the past 9 months. I've looked at dozens of support and forum posts across the internet on how to handle this issue, but the computer seems to ignore all solutions applied. My Hardware: MSI X470 Gaming...
  8. win10 dead end, on latest update ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 dead end, on latest update ?: Hi All. Trying to install the latest update. Ok going through the pages, I get the following.. Select or connect an external storage drive with at least 10 Gb free: Next page says .. External storage device ( D : ) 26.2 Gb Free... Also, at the bottom of the same page it...
  9. Error 10016 Crashing applications incessantly for months on end. Updating permissions for...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Error 10016 Crashing applications incessantly for months on end. Updating permissions for...: These applications have been totally unusable for the past 4 to 5 months. I've looked at dozens of support and forum posts across the internet on how to handle this issue, but the computer seems to ignore all solutions applied. The Problem: When playing select games, all...
  10. Network share has no permission in Win10, but has in Win7

Network share has no permission in Win10, but has in Win7: Hi, I recently changed my work computer from a Win7 to a Win10 computer. All our network shares are kept on one old Win2K3 server (I know old, but I'm not in charge of upgrading that). From my Win10 computer I cannot access two network shares out of several needed. The...