Windows 10: Win10 suddenly stopped seeing other computers on network

Discus and support Win10 suddenly stopped seeing other computers on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two desktops and a NAS drive on my network. Both PC's are Win10. One Pro, the other Home. Everything was working beautifully then out of nowhere... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mdenbow, Nov 17, 2015.

1. mdenbow Win User

Win10 suddenly stopped seeing other computers on network

I have two desktops and a NAS drive on my network. Both PC's are Win10. One Pro, the other Home. Everything was working beautifully then out of nowhere the Home machine just stopped accessing the public folder on the Pro machine saying it didn't have permission. I thought the Public folder didn't need permissions if it's shared with Everybody. But it will access and read the other non-public shares on the Pro machine. Weird *Confused The Pro machine, however, doesn't even see the Home machine on the network any more, although I can ping it. Again, weird. I had a mapped drive to the Home machine which is now broken. Both PC's can see and access the NAS drive. No settings were changed, nothing was touched, it just worked one minute and stopped the next. The Pro machine was just updated to Build 10586.3 on 11/13/15. But I don't think that caused it because everything worked until the 17th. All the network settings were correct and they have not been changed. I can't find anything about it on the internet except the typical "Make sure Network Discovery is on and file sharing is enabled." Yes, Network Discovery is on and file and printer sharing is enabled on both machines. Still no go. So I'm guessing I'm the only one with this problem. Lucky me. *Think Anyone have any ideas?

:)

mdenbow, Nov 17, 2015

2. Win10 not recognizing other computers on network

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I will certainly help you.

Let us try the following methods, and check if it helps.

Method 1: As an initial step, I suggest you to disable antivirus software (and any other security software) and firewall on the computer as a test and check if that fixes the issue.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other
    software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks.

Method 2: Refer to the following article:

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Win10 not recognizing other computers on network

I have a home network with two computers connected to it: a Mac (my main computer) and a laptop running Windows 10. Until today, they recognized each other and I had no trouble accessing files on the Mac and its external hard drive while using the laptop.
    But now... after not using the laptop for nearly a month, it decided it needed all kinds of updates. After the updates completed, the laptop can't find the Mac on the network any more. It still knows it's on a network, it still sees my printer... but it doesn't
    know the Mac exists. What do I need to do to make the laptop find the Mac again? Please try to keep answers simple... it took me nearly a month of fussing around to get the laptop to find the Mac in the first place, and I have no clue what I finally did that
    made it work!

DavidHanlonVA, Nov 17, 2015
  4. DaveI Win User

10586 broke my network of 9 computers as well...There is a Name Resolving problem right now...
    If you are using upper case and lower case for your computer names and or shares rename them'
    so they have all the same case Upper or Lower...I was able to fix my network issues on all except
    one PC that is on a Wifi link (I can see that one still from a Windows 7 PC)...

This may help some...May not fix all issues depending on your installation.

(don't forget to reboot PC and Router).

DaveI, Nov 17, 2015
  5. mdenbow Win User
    Thanks for responding. I tried your advice and ran into the following issues:
    1. You can't change the computer name from mixed case to all upper or lower case. You have to change the name itself. ie. "Computer Name" changed to "COMPUTER NAME" won't work. The OK button is greyed out until you change the name to something other than "Computer Name."

2. I changed the name of the one computer with mixed case to something different in all upper case, renamed the problem share to all lower case, rebooted everything and had the exact same issue.

There are other shares that have mixed case names and there's not a problem reading them. Just a quick update. The Pro machine "magically" started working again. I say "magically" because I went to another folder and came back to the Network folder, and presto, everything was there again. The Home machine still doesn't see the NAS drive or itself in its Network folder, and still needs Permission to access the public folder on the Pro machine. I compared the sharing settings from the public folder to the working shared folder and they are identical, yet one works and the other doesn't.

This is maddening. *Mad I'm about ready to uninstall Build 10586 and wait for Microsoft to fix this latest "feature." I've experienced network instability and unreliability issues ever since I upgraded to Win8.1. Problems seem to magically fix themselves only to reappear again at a later date for unknown reasons. Microsoft's code quality has suffered in the past few years IMHO.

So the problem as it stands right now:
    Pro machine can see itself, the Home machine and the NAS drive in its network folder and can access everything on the network.
    Home machine only shows Pro machine in its network folder. Itself and NAS drive are missing. It cannot access Pro's public folder with the error message that it doesn't have permission. It can access shortcuts that point to the NAS drive and the non-public shares.

mdenbow, Nov 17, 2015
  6. CGJames Win User
    I am glad changing case on the computer name worked for you. Changing Case on computer doesn't help my issue at my business at all. All of my computer names on the network are the same case and all are running Windows 10 Pro. MS broke networking on 10586 or before and it hasn't been fixed. I have a support plan and they are absolutely clue-less about what is going on. They have been on every system in my business and still can't fix the issue.

CGJames, Dec 10, 2015
  7. DaveI Win User
    Changing the case solved the problem (Partially) on a couple of my PCs...This post was from some time ago...
    The "fix" that fixed all of my network is this...Now I can access all my machines...But I've already had to redo it on all
    my machines since the last MS Updates...So try it and just be warned that if it works for you you might have to keep redoing it after everytime MS puts out updates...

1. Open a command prompt as an administrator (Elevated Command Prompt)...You can do this by searching
    for cmd.exe and then right clicking on it and select run as administrator...

2. Run each of these commands in the elevated command prompt...From what I understand it is disabling part of
    SAMBA (Not a problem for me since I don't use SAMBA Shares)...

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

It should say SUCCESS after each command when entered.

You need to do this on all your PCs (I have Nine)...And then reboot each.
    This worked for me and I also left all shares in one case as well (May or may not be necessary with this fix)...

Hope this works for you like it did for me...regards.

DaveI, Dec 10, 2015
  8. CGJames Win User

THIS is the fix. I have about 16 computers in business and we now have our Workgroup back up and running without problems!

CGJames, Dec 10, 2015
  9. DaveI Win User
    Glad to see it worked for you...Just bear in mind that if you're doing Auto Updates as soon as they are available (You can delay this if you are running Win10 PRO) then what appears to be happening is that with the MS Updates, MS is pushing out the networking problem again to users after they implemented this fix and it requires the users (or administrators) to re-implement it...At least that's been the case for me and some others who have posted about it as well...

DaveI, Dec 10, 2015
  10. Davel, thank you.

I'm now able to see all the other computers on the network again. Why don't Microsoft fix this gremlin?

fergalsfriend, Dec 11, 2015
  11. DaveI Win User
    MS are very slow and resistant to change that they do not initiate. (IMHO)
    My guess is there's some new feature that they are insistent on and they won't fix the networking problem that is
    happening to many until they can make it work for their new feature as well...But that's a guess...
    This fix has been posted in this forum as well as their own MS Tech forums so if anybody from MS actually monitors these then they should know about it...

(They were real fast to issue a fix for the privacy settings reset glitch but I'm sure their lawyers had something
    to do with that one).

DaveI, Dec 11, 2015
  12. TheSkyo Win User
    How can I disable this? I tried to type "enabled" in the second line which didnt work. I've had a few extra problems since doing this which may or may not be related.

TheSkyo, Dec 18, 2015
  13. DoItJust Win User

DoItJust, Dec 18, 2015
  14. DaveI Win User
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

DaveI, Dec 18, 2015
  15. mykou Win User
    Thanks DaveI for your fix !

mykou, Dec 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Win10 suddenly stopped seeing other computers on network - Similar Threads - Win10 suddenly stopped

2. see other computers on network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    see other computers on network: I have tried many of the recommendations online, but none seem to work.Surely there is a way to make transfering files from one computer to another possible, using my home network.Thanks for help.greg...
  3. see other computers on network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    see other computers on network: I have tried many of the recommendations online, but none seem to work.Surely there is a way to make transfering files from one computer to another possible, using my home network.Thanks for help.greg...
  4. see other computers on network

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. One Win10 computer can see other on network, but not vice versa

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Win10 computer can see other on network, but not vice versa: I'm sure it's a common problem, but I can't find the solution. One of my Windows 10 computers Number 1 can see another on my home network Number 2, but Number 2 cannot see Number 1."Private" network.Bitdefender but problem remains even if firewall is off.Network discovery in...
  6. can't see other computer on network

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't see other computer on network: can't see other computer on network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-see-other-computer-on-network/fc92edc5-902e-4798-a93f-91bcb538d14f
  7. Can’t see other Computer on Network

Can’t see other Computer on Network: My laptop running Windows 10 is connected to a router via secure wifi. Our desktop is connected to the same router via ethernet (on 2 separate private networks) and was just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. The desktop is able to transfer files to the laptop through...
  8. Not seeing other computers in network

Not seeing other computers in network: After january updates I haven't been able to see other computers in same network via file explorer, all computers are in same network since I can map as a drive shared folder (just takes bit longer than simply browsing with file explorer) and february update didn't fix it so...
  9. See Other Computer on Home Network

See Other Computer on Home Network: Tried seems everything. One computer on home network can see and access public folders of the other 4 computers. But, other 4 computers cannot do same. All are running updated Windows 10. All sharing and network discovery turned on. Went out to command prompt as...
  10. Suddenly can't see other computers on network

Suddenly can't see other computers on network: We have three Windows 10 computers (2 desktop, 1 laptop) on a local network. All are in the same workgroup, all have discovery and sharing turned on on private/guest/all networks, password protection off, etc. Everything was working great until about a week ago. We don't know...