Windows 10: Win10 switches disabled devices back on

Discus and support Win10 switches disabled devices back on in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I want to keep NVIDIA High Definition Audio disabled as it causes my games to hang after a while of playing. So, I've disabled it in the devices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by andyKCIUK, Feb 15, 2017.

1. andyKCIUK Win User

Win10 switches disabled devices back on

I want to keep NVIDIA High Definition Audio disabled as it causes my games to hang after a while of playing.
    So, I've disabled it in the devices manager and never install any drivers for it.
    Every now and then Windows puts it back on though which is really annoying*Devil
    Is there any way to force Win10 to keep its dirty hands off my device manager settings?
    Drivers auto update is already disabled.

:)

andyKCIUK, Feb 15, 2017
  2. D4rk1 Win User

Switching audio devices is a pain, what can I do?

Hey there, I've been using Win10 for a few months now and there is still this ONE thing that bugs me:

I can't switch (audio) playback devices when audio was running prior to switching the device.

I.e.: I have Youtube (or Twitch, Vimeo, you name it) opened in my browser. I decide it's time to go to bed - so I switch the default output device to my TV (connected via HDMI). Win10 doesn't do anything.

Now in Win7 the switch was instantanous - now I either:

a) have to restart the program that is playing back content.

b) Do these "simple" steps:

- Make device default

- Click on Properties

- Switch to 'Enhancements'-Tab

- Tick/Untick 'disable all enhancements'*, click ok

- Click on properties of 'old default' playback device

- Switch to 'Advanced'-Tab

- Tick/Untick 'Enable Signal Enhancements'*

*It doesn't matter if it was ticked or unticked beforehand. It seems the little checkbox just wants its little tickle (heh!) and thats it.

Ta-dah, magically the sound is now playing on the desired playback device. But - WHY? Is there any way to get the way it was functioning in Win7 back?

Because this is honestly a veeeeeeery bad joke.

D4rk1, Feb 15, 2017
  3. latest win10 update re-enabled touch screen on dell xps 17 no way to disable it.

The latest update for win10 re-enabled the touch screen in my dell xps 17. The touch screen was pulling the cursor in to the bottom right of the screen repeatedly. The screen in the laptop originally came with the n-trig duosense driver. The screen is
    not win10 compatible. I had it disabled by disabling the touch screen in device mgr. Somehow the touchscreen was re-enabled with the last update. The driver was not put back in he device mgr. so I could not disable it again. I wound up having to roll back
    to the previous build of win10 to fix it. I know this is only a temporary fix. I need to know that to do the next time it happens.

congaman59, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Win10 switches disabled devices back on

Install a wrong driver for it (uncheck Show only compatible driver) and then disable it.

TairikuOkami, Feb 15, 2017
  5. We can schedule a task that disables the audio device on each startup. That task will use a tool we can get from the Windows Driver Toolkit.

Right click the audio device you want to disable, select Properties then the Details tab. Use the pull down menu to select Hardware Ids. Copy/paste the result to your next post.

ComputerGeek, Feb 16, 2017
  6. andyKCIUK Win User
    hdaudio\func_01&ven_10de&dev_0083&subsys_10de1b81&rev_1001
    hdaudio\func_01&ven_10de&dev_0083&subsys_10de1b81

andyKCIUK, Feb 16, 2017
  7. The tool is called devcon. Rather then downloading the entire Windows driver kit (many gigabytes) to get it here's instructions to get a legit copy from Microsoft compatible with Win 10 x64 Anniversary Update (original full post found HERE.)
    • Click to download 787bee96dbd26371076b37b13c405890.cab from Microsoft
    • Extract to a folder
    • Find file filbad6e2cce5ebc45a401e19c613d0a28f (copy/paste the filename into File Explorer search box - see snapshot below)
    • Copy the file to your Desktop. Rename it devcon.exe
    • Move it to C:\Windows\System32
    Go to an elevated command prompt . Type devcon /?
    If it's installed correctly, you'll see the help message.

Now you can easily enable/disable the device. In admin command prompt you can type these commands to enable or disable the device
    Code: devcon disable "hdaudio\func_01&ven_10de&dev_0083&subsys_10de1b81"[/quote]
    Code: devcon enable "hdaudio\func_01&ven_10de&dev_0083&subsys_10de1b81"[/quote]

Now go to Windows task scheduler. Add a task that runs a script on each startup where the command is devcon and arguments are as follows. If you need help creating the task, let me know
    Code: disable "hdaudio\func_01&ven_10de&dev_0083&subsys_10de1b81"[/quote]

8. andyKCIUK Win User

Thanks for your help, ComputerGeek.
    I don't know how to create a task, I had a look at the task scheduler and got really confused... lol
    I've gotten as far as saving defcon.exe in system32.
    Further help with creating the task would be greatly appreciated.

andyKCIUK, Feb 16, 2017
  9. Hey, no problem. Run Task Scheduler.
    • In the right pane, click Create Task (not "Create Basic Task")
    • General tab
      • Name: type whatever you want to name the task, such as Disable Audio
      • Click the radio button Run whether user is logged on or not
      • At bottom of windows see Configure for: pulldown menu. Select Windows 10
    • ​Triggers tab
      • Click New
      • New Triggers box appears. On Begin the task: use the pull down to select At startup
      • Click OK
    • Actions tab
      • Click New
      • New Actions box appears. For Action: we use the default already set to Start a program
      • Program/Script: type Code: devcon[/quote]
      • Add arguments: type Code: disable "hdaudio\func_01&ven_10de&dev_0083&subsys_10de1b81"[/quote]
      • Click OK

Now click OK to complete the task. You'll be prompted for a userid/password. This should be a userid with admin rights. It will be used to run the task at startup

Finally, we can now test it. In the left pane, under Task Scheduler Library you should find the task you created. Enable the audio in device manager. Right click the task and select Run. Does the audio device change to disabled?

10. andyKCIUK Win User
    Thanks very much. Yes, it disables the nvidia crap, I've just checked.
    I really appreciate your help.

andyKCIUK, Feb 17, 2017
  11. I should add... running this task at start-up won't necessarily prevent Windows from still re-enabling the device (depends on what's triggering the re-enable and when it occurs). Though, it's a light weight task, so you might also choose to run the task more frequent should you want to try

Hope it helps keep the problem at bay

ComputerGeek, Feb 17, 2017
  12. @andyKCIUK

Footnote: In worst case, you can also put the devcon disable command in a batch file on your Desktop. Then it's a simple double click to manually disable the device again if needed.

ComputerGeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 switches disabled devices back on - Similar Threads - Win10 switches disabled

2. Switch Back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch Back: Can I go back to Windows 10 if I don't like Windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-back/4259a113-b40b-4488-a036-018e41f6f3b1
  3. Switch Back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch Back: Can I go back to Windows 10 if I don't like Windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-back/4259a113-b40b-4488-a036-018e41f6f3b1
  4. How to get an Internet device back after disabling it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get an Internet device back after disabling it?: I use Ethernet-USB adapter to connect to the Internet. I disabled it. Now I can't get it back find it among devices and connect to the Internet again. Currently I use Ubuntu to get to the Internet....
  5. How to get Internet device back after disabling it?

How to get Internet device back after disabling it?: I use Ethernet-USB adapter to connect to the Internet. I disabled it. Now I can't get it back find it among devices and connect to the Internet again. Currently I use Ubuntu to get to the Internet....
  6. Audio Device Keeps switching back and forth

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Device Keeps switching back and forth: I've had this problem for a day or 2, it's frustrating. Whenever I launch sound options, or something similar to sound then my audio devices go crazy. If you click the sound slider thing, you can select an output device there. Mine just keeps switching between Speakers and...
  7. switching users in win10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    switching users in win10: How can I switch users in Win10 from lock screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-users-in-win10/2d6fb1d6-6b0e-4eb0-9f18-73692c1ced7c
  8. Switching back to windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching back to windows: I switched to Linux almost a year ago but due to a multitude of reasons, I'm switching back to windows. Anyways, this isn't a Linux rant thread of anything, I just want to know, since my laptop came installed with Windows, that means I can just reinstall it without buying it,...
  9. [Windows 10] USB Switch disables keyboard on 1 computer after switching back and forth

[Windows 10] USB Switch disables keyboard on 1 computer after switching back and forth: I have a work laptop and a home desktop that i share a keyboard and mouse with using a USB switch. Both are running windows 10. I can switch back and forth as many times as i want on my work laptop but when trying to use the home desktop the keyboard only works the first...
  10. Disabled Windows Update service. Win10 still turned it back on.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disabled Windows Update service. Win10 still turned it back on.: How do I disable Windows Update permanently? I disabled and stopped the Windows Update service under Computer Management a long time ago. Recently, I see microsoft is trying to shove 1709 down my throat, and has turned Windows Update service back on. I disabled and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 switches disabled update back on

2. Win10 switches disabled updates back on