Windows 10: Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86%

Discus and support Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86% in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, trying to upgrade my desktop (self-built) from Win7 to Win10 but it keeps getting stuck at 86% (configuring settings 46%). Since at that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by beginner99, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86%

Hi all,

trying to upgrade my desktop (self-built) from Win7 to Win10 but it keeps getting stuck at 86% (configuring settings 46%). Since at that point there is no task manager or anything and my system has no hdd activity light it's hard to tell if anything is still happening. The system has an ssd so should not be slow. I've updated several laptops also crappy ones with slow hdd and it worked for all of them never taking longer than couple of hours.

Now the upgrade on my desktop has been running for 14 hrs mostly stuck at that point. I tried to upgrade it once already last fall and then I did not have this issue. But system was very unstable and hence unusable with win10 and hence reverted back to 7.

So what are my options to troubleshoot? I only have keyboard and mouse attached, both USB and no other USB devices. There are lots of applications installed and configured (dev environment for my personal projects) so I would really, really like to avoid a clean install.

If it matters it it win7 professional and there is enough free space on c: drive.

Should I unplug mouse and keyboard or even display (dvi-d)?

:)

beginner99, Jul 23, 2016

2. Computer stuck at 86% upgrade complete

Give it another hour.

If that does not work

Power down computer.

Wait 10 minutes.

Start computer.

Setup will automatically restore your previous Windows 10 build or previous version of Windows.

Launch command prompt with administrator privileges.

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Type the following command:

rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Hit Enter on your keyboard

Exit command prompt

Restart

How
    to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

Click HERE to download official ISO media for Windows 10 from Microsoft.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 23, 2016
  3. Computer stuck at 86% upgrade complete

Installing Windows 10 Update screen has been stuck at 86% for over an hour it's at the configuring settings 36%, what do I do???? Any help appreciated have 2 more computers to go after that one!!!!

TmichelePierce, Jul 23, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86%

Hi beginner99 and welcome to Tenforums.

So it keeps rolling back to W7? Does it give you a failure code? Have you checked the setup error log for clues?

You might want to update your My System Specs so we know what we're dealing with on your rig.

How are you doing the upgrade, with the Get Windows Ten/Windows Update feature? Have you tried mounting an ISO on the desktop using 7-zip and running setup.exe from that? I've had much better luck with W7 machines doing it that way.

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

Perhaps a list of installed programs may help. Could be some incompatible items on there. For example, Speccy won't go through upgrades, but works fine when reinstalled. I also recommend removing all traces of any 3rd-party AVs as well.

simrick, Jul 24, 2016
  5. No it doesn't roll back, it just stuck at 86%. Started upgrade Saturday at 11 am my time and now it's still stuck at 86% since over 24 hrs. Problem is it's hard to tell if anything still happening. I've updated roughly 5 other machines with no issue and most of them from Win7.

I use the win10 upgrade assistant, eg. the top one you get on this link:

Windows 10

Well I can try to remove anything installed since last fall, as then the upgrade worked (same mouse, keyboard, display and hardware). So it either must be an issue with an app or the upgrade tool itself.

beginner99, Jul 24, 2016
  6. So Now after over 36 hrs I hard rebooted and as expected it rolled back to 7 is it did before. i was presented with this error:

0x0900101 0x4000D

With a message roughly translated:

During phase SECOND_BOOT during procedure MIGRATE_DATA and error occurred.

Google gives 2 hits, one of the a youtube video un russian (?) that shows many errors includign this one but I don't speak russian.

So I will uninstall some apps I installed since last fall were the upgrade at least completed.

beginner99, Jul 24, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Back to W7 - good! Please provide a screen shot of your partition layout, and also the list of installed programs using Ccleaner:

Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86% [​IMG]

Also, system specs. Thanks.

simrick, Jul 24, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

simrick, Jul 24, 2016
  9. See updated specs in my profile.

See attachments for installed apps and drives.

beginner99, Jul 25, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    simrick, Jul 25, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Here is a list of programs I would like you to completely uninstall. They can be reinstalled after the upgrade.
    Avira Antivirus Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG 12.05.2016 200 MB 15.0.17.273
    Avira Launcher Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG 26.07.2016 13.4 MB 1.1.67.18988
    qBittorrent 3.3.6 The qBittorrent project 20.07.2016 79.8 MB 3.3.6
    SpeedFan (remove only) 29.08.2011
    SyncToy 2.1 (x64) Microsoft 21.11.2011 1.45 MB 2.1.0

If you don't need the Java SDKs remove them as well; you can leave Java 8U101 on.
    Do you have a backup image of your OS drive completed? I see you have Acronis on there, so I assume you're good on that.

simrick, Jul 25, 2016
  12. Yeah, made an image before trying to update. Will try that albeit all others I upgraded successfully had the same antivirus installed. (it's the go.to version here, as it's free and pretty good detection rate).

beginner99, Jul 25, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Yes, please remove those programs, post a screenshot of disk management and run scf /scannow on the system.
    Will wait for your reply.

simrick, Jul 25, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    It's a well-known fact that upgrading with a 3rd-party AV installed is asking for trouble, especially when upgrading a W7 rig. You got lucky on the other ones. I like Avira a lot, but it needs to go for the upgrade.
    Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 for PC and Mobile - Page 26 - Windows 10 Forums

Please post the disk management screenshot. I have found some W7 rig's System Partitions (NOT Operating System partitions) to be too small for the upgrade's rollback settings.

simrick, Jul 25, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    See here:
    Windows 10: Upgrade-Fehler 0x8007002C-0x4000D | Borns IT- und Windows-Blog

If you don't read German, you can use Translate in Chrome for English.

simrick, Jul 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86% - Similar Threads - Win10 upgrade keeps

2. Proxy keep on turning on to http://127.0.0.1:86/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Proxy keep on turning on to http://127.0.0.1:86/: I tried several ways to stop it, starting from adwcleaner to MSERT, nothing is working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/proxy-keep-on-turning-on-to-http12700186/ae1bb6a7-c94f-4e92-bde3-9b2694b4ffdf
  3. Update 2004 stuck at 86%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update 2004 stuck at 86%: I am trying to update to the 2004 update and I'm currently at the bluescreen that says"Waiting on updates 86%. Don't turn off your PC, this will take a while. Your PC will restart several times". It has been running like this for three days now. Can I somehow shut it off...
  4. stuck at 86%

stuck at 86%: My surface is stuck at 86% of a download for over 3 days. After 2 days I have tried to shut it off and 2 hours later when I turned it on it is at the same place meaning blue screen saying working on updates 86% Don't turn off your PC. I do see that the 5 round dots are still...
  5. It has been stuck at 86% for an hour. Is this normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    It has been stuck at 86% for an hour. Is this normal?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/hotglue0303 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fiz3vw/it_has_been_stuck_at_86_for_an_hour_is_this_normal/
  6. Win10 Upgrade to Pro Stuck at Getting things ready...

Win10 Upgrade to Pro Stuck at Getting things ready...: I purchased my laptop with Windows 10 Home already installed. I recently purchased the upgrade to Pro through the Microsoft Store App. The install process has now been running for at least ten days straight (I removed all power settings to put the computer to sleep so that...
  7. Win10 gets stuck asleep (sometimes)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 gets stuck asleep (sometimes): My recent PC build gets stuck in sleep occasionally, but not every time it goes to sleep. I've gone into device manager and fixed all the power management settings for keyboards, mice, HID, etc. Another oddity that may be related - I try to keep my power setting profile to...
  8. Win10 Upgrade stuck for third time

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 Upgrade stuck for third time: Looks to be stuck in a loop, at 32% overall, 6% at Installing features and drivers. Second attempt was left for overnight and nothing changed. Toshiba L305-S5921 Laptop. Upgrading from Win 7 home. Had no trouble on my desktop or HP laptop. Any Ideas??? 14332
  9. Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%

Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%: I have made a bootable USB using Rufus as the windows media creation tool could not find my USB. I'm now trying to install Win10 onto a fresh HDD and the the installation is stuck at 86%. Any advice would be brilliant, thanks! Christy 73399
  10. win10 upgrade stuck at key request

win10 upgrade stuck at key request: I have three computers in family that were given upgrades on the win7 family plan. One was just informed it was eligible for win10 upgrade. I think I made the mistake of custom install (for a clean install) instead of an upgrade and, related to other problems with windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows media keep running back from 86% to 71%