Windows 10: Win10 upgrade on Aspire SW13 - issues with BIOS upgrade

Discus and support Win10 upgrade on Aspire SW13 - issues with BIOS upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm running an Acer Aspire SW13, 2GB RAM, Windows 10 version 1607 I get repeated messages saying I must update as this version of W10 won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MitchK999, Mar 18, 2018.

1. MitchK999 Win User

Win10 upgrade on Aspire SW13 - issues with BIOS upgrade

Hi,

I'm running an Acer Aspire SW13, 2GB RAM, Windows 10 version 1607

I get repeated messages saying I must update as this version of W10 won't be supported after April. I can (with difficulty) clear enough disk space to download the updates (the internal memory is only 32GB, so it's challenging), but when the update runs it cannot complete, and advises me to update the BIOS.

Not withstanding any issues associated with a BIOS update, a check on the Acer website confirms I'm actually running the latest BIOS version.

Any suggestions as to how to progress or solve this?

Many thanks in advance.

:)

MitchK999, Mar 18, 2018

2. Windows 10 no signal detected

I have the same issue: Acer Aspire working perfectly with Win8.1. After starting Win10 upgrade it is stuck without video signal.

Deepika Gowda - this is not a corrupted BIOS issue, unless the Win10 upgrade caused the corruption. Please research and provide a better answer. This is not Acer's problem, it is Microsoft responsibility to ensure their upgrade doesn't brick my machine.

patrickmann, Mar 18, 2018
  3. DanielS81 Win User
    this pc can't run windows 10

I had this problem on my Acer Aspire 5745G with GeForce310M and found a solution that worked for me.

1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS from acer's website, should be version 1.19. Follow the instructions from the download and flash the new BIOS (most risky step)

2. Reboot and log into BIOS setup (eg: press F2 on reboot)

3. Go into graphics/video settings and change it from Switchable to Discreet

4. Save BIOS settings and exit

5. Now Windows will try to automatically search for new driver. Wait until it is done and reboot if necessary.

6. Try running the Windows10 upgrade again. If it still fails, go back to Acer's driver page and download/install the latest Optimus driver (should be the 2012 one). Reboot and try running the Win10 upgrade again.

The problem was the BIOS had graphics setting to Switchable and Aspire 5745G has both NVidia AND Intel drivers that were switching depending on the situation and Win10 upgrade can't handle this.

Hope this helps.

DanielS81, Mar 18, 2018
  4. Win10 upgrade on Aspire SW13 - issues with BIOS upgrade

Hi MitchK999. Welcome to the TenForums @MitchK999

Does your device support using a USB Thumb drive. If so I would use the media creator to create a USB Thumb drive. Need 8GB device. I would also contact Acer and ask them if your device supports the Win 10 V1709.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

Then I would follow this. Note the BIOS settings it recommends, disable secure boot and fast boot. (and of course give it as much free space within your 32GB to work as possible.)

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Caledon Ken, Mar 22, 2018
  5. Excellent news.

If you get a chance document your steps so others can follow and if you could, mark your thread solved. Others will find.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
  6. MitchK999 Win User
    Hi Ken, thanks to your help I have (finally!!!) managed to download, install and configure the update!

MitchK999, Apr 7, 2018
Thema:

Win10 upgrade on Aspire SW13 - issues with BIOS upgrade

1. Win10 upgrade on Aspire SW13 - issues with BIOS upgrade - Similar Threads - Win10 upgrade Aspire

2. BIOS upgrade?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BIOS upgrade?: Looking to flash the BIOS from legacy to UEFI on my desktop (see signature for full specs). I'm currently running the latest legacy BIOS F-10 and the Gigabyte shows U1J (Beta BIOS). Will the upgrade to the UEFI BIOS take care of the switch from MBR to GPT? GA-Z68XP-UD3...
  3. BIOS upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS upgrade?: Looking to flash the BIOS from legacy to UEFI on my desktop (see signature for full specs). I'm currently running the latest legacy BIOS F-10 and the Gigabyte shows U1J (Beta BIOS). Will the upgrade to the UEFI BIOS take care of the switch from MBR to GPT? GA-Z68XP-UD3...
  4. Upgrading win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading win10: Created new install after failure. Everything was fine until the upgrade to 1909. Now on startup, the first start screen shows but the second does not. When I click and get the PIN screen the field is grayed out and will not take the pin....
  5. Win10 Upgrade - PC Start Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Upgrade - PC Start Issue: Had an automatic Win10 upgrade yesterday. This morning Laptop still worked. Then stopped working and started automatic recover and PC diagnostic. Not able to get it working again. Tried to uninstall Updates without success via Advanced Options. Had a possible same issue...
  6. Win10 upgrade issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 upgrade issue: I have a legit Windows 7 license on my computer andtried to upgrade to Win 10 for free. Everything workedfine for half a year, then the next Windows 10update came and, I think, some file was removed because the computer stopped working properly. I invited the technical...
  7. BIOS Upgrading

BIOS Upgrading: Hello. I'm wondering which BIOS upgrade I need for the Windows 10 version 1903 update. I haven't installed this update for a while because of this BIOS problem. My Windows version is 10.0.14393 Build 14393, my system model is HP Pavillion Notebook, and my current BIOS version...
  8. Bios upgrade

Bios upgrade: Hey, how do i install a newer BIOS?. I have anLenovo Ideacentre y700 34ISH. I have updated the BIOS the system information program tells me i have an older BIOS. My BIOS version is LENOVO O1ZKT45A, 07.11.2017. Sorry for bad English :)...
  9. win10 upgrade

win10 upgrade: Me hi, i would like to upgrade one of our business pc s which run win7 pro to win10 in order to test and verify if some of the 3rd party apps which we use will run properly. we have office including access on the computer. how do i get the win 10 download and how do i get the...
  10. BIOS upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BIOS upgrade: Greetings all. I'm trying to update / upgrade to the latest version of windows 10, and I get a message that says my BIOS needs to be upgraded before the windows upgrade can continue. Help! 109463