Windows 10: Win10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S

Discus and support Win10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HiWhats the best procedure to reinstall Win10, if you took the free upgrade from Win7? i'm now on the Win10 Creators edition, but changing everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thedoc46, Jun 8, 2017.

1. thedoc46 Win User

Win10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S

HiWhats the best procedure to reinstall Win10, if you took the free upgrade from Win7? i'm now on the Win10 Creators edition, but changing everything over this weekend, new mobo, gpu ........ and so on. What's the procedure seeing that this is completely new hardware... Where's the best place to get the ISO ? also what happens when it asks me to enter in a serial key? Just skip and login using my microsoft account that knows i have an lic associated to my Microsoft sign-on ?Thanks

:)

thedoc46, Jun 8, 2017
  2. geotso Win User

Windows 10 clean istall with dual boot

well, here is a workaround I figured out:

1. On the first partition (CWin10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S :) there is the win7 ultimate O/S installed.

2. On the second partition (DWin10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S :) I install win7 ultimate again.

3. Use the DVD created from the win 10 download page to upgrade the win7 in D:.

4. Skip the product key during installation.

5. Activate win10 after installation.

6. Use the same DVD to re-install win10 in D:, formating the partition during installation (clean install).

How about that?

geotso, Jun 8, 2017
  3. bobrcnut Win User
    Win10 upgrade over 1 of 2 manufacturer-installed Win7's

Since Win10 will apparently be 'upgrade only' and not clean-installable, can I do it like this:

-- Repartition the existing hard drive

-- Install Win7 in a new partition from my factory recovery disks, so that I end up with two independent bootable Win7's

-- Install the Win10 upgrade over one of the 2 Win7's

The goal here is to allow for a staged migration of existing programs and data from Win7 to Win10, rather than the 'all or nothing' approach being forced by a lack of a Win10 ISO.

bobrcnut, Jun 8, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

The free digital license that you got for W10 on the old motherboard is not transferable so it will not be possible to use your Microsoft account and hope that it will automatically activate.

The official route is to buy a new W10 OS, however, there are reports that the free upgrade from W7 and W8 is still working so you might want to give that a try.

philc43, Jun 8, 2017
  5. thedoc46 Win User
    Even though i had a full retail license of Win7

thedoc46, Jun 8, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    OK, I've just gone over the rules again and you will be able to activate by using your Microsoft Account (MSA) but you will need to use the activation troubleshooter and you will need to be on the Anniversary update or Creators Update. Don't think of the license as attached to the MSA, but instead think of the MSA as having the authority to transfer the license.

See this tutorial: Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

Also: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

Before changing any components I would create a new Windows 10 ISO using the media Creation tool that you can use to install on the new build. See the first part of the following tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10

philc43, Jun 8, 2017
  7. thedoc46 Win User
    Thanks, i was a little disheartened to read the first reply.. Like what i have all this fancy new hardware and now i'm going to have to buy a new license at $200 Noooooooooooooooooooooo *Smile I'll have a read up later on, but just wanted to say thanks for the links.

thedoc46, Jun 8, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

You are welcome, I was a bit hasty with my first reply and had given you the answer that was correct before the anniversary update. The new changes have made things a bit easier.

philc43, Jun 8, 2017
  9. Superfly Win User
    A Windows 7 retail key will install and activate Win 10 - no need for that MSA/activation troubleshooter stuff...

Superfly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S - Similar Threads - Win10 Upgraded Win7

2. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  3. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  4. Retrying win10 upgrade from win7

Retrying win10 upgrade from win7: I accidently downloaded and tried to install the 32 bit version. My system is 64 bit. The download/install goes through the steps until it gets to 27%. I've tried three times It stops the install and resets the system back to win7. The error code is "0x8007005-0x2000A...
  5. Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive

Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive: My hard drive crashed, and I need to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive. I've got a Win7 license and used the free upgrade to Win10. Is it possible to reinstall? I'm uncertain about the process: Should I download Win7 with another computer? if so, where? ..and then put...
  6. Transfer Upgraded Win10 (From win7) license to a new build?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Upgraded Win10 (From win7) license to a new build?: I built my last computer in 2012 using Win7. I upgraded to Win10 when it became available. I'm now going to build a new machine with only a few parts from the current one. The old machine will be decommissioned, and it's SSD will become a data drive for the new machine which...
  7. re-use of Win7 upgrade dvds after Win10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    re-use of Win7 upgrade dvds after Win10 upgrade: I have some Win 7 upgrade dvds from Microsoft, previously used on pc's that have now been upgraded to Win 10. Q: Can I use a Win 7 upgrade on an old Win XP unit ? Will it be refused as an already used key ? What I am aiming to accomplish is after getting the XP machine...
  8. Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build

Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build: I have a system with an i7-3930k and Win7 retail license. I will be building a new i7-6700k system and will be reusing the SSD, HDD, graphics card and my Windows license. I ultimately want the new system to be Win10. Should I do the OS upgrade first, or build the new...
  9. win10 o/s

win10 o/s: I made a mistake and bought win10 home oem. Can I install then upgrade to home retail. I really do not want to go to the hassle of returning for the retail disk. 66786
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i had win7 and upgraded to win10 version1703 now i need to clean reinstall how