Windows 10: Win10 won't recognize installed 3rd pty fonts

Discus and support Win10 won't recognize installed 3rd pty fonts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, this is really puzzling. A month ago I installed ~dozen 3rd party fonts - Stone Sans and Stone Serif (all OTF) - and all was fine. I was able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dorcask, Dec 2, 2015.

1. dorcask Win User

Win10 won't recognize installed 3rd pty fonts

Hi, this is really puzzling. A month ago I installed ~dozen 3rd party fonts - Stone Sans and Stone Serif (all OTF) - and all was fine. I was able to use them in InDesign and Word. Today, neither program sees the fonts and they aren't listed in the Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Fonts directory, even though I installed them there a few weeks ago! When I go back to the individual font file and install, I'm told (by Win10) that they are already installed. I reinstalled them (just in case) and they still don't show up in the Fonts directory, nor are they accessible in ID or Word. So although I reinstall them, they are still "invisible" - I can't find them or use them. These are fonts I use a lot so I can't just use other fonts. I bought them from myfonts.com so they are legit copies AND I've used them on this laptop (Thinkpad Yoga 14) just a few weeks back. Any ideas what might be going on? This is a distressing mystery.

:)

dorcask, Dec 2, 2015
  2. dorcask Win User

3rd-party font disappearing

Two weeks ago I installed a 3rd party OTF font - Stone Sans and Stone Serif - in my Win10 laptop. It worked fine with Word and other programs. Today, it's no longer visible and doesn't show up in the Control Panel -> Personalization -> Fonts window either.
    When I try to reinstall the font, I get a Windows message that it's already installed. I re-installed anyway but the fonts still don't show up in programs or in the Fonts window. What do I need to do to have Win10 "recognize" these fonts again? I can't uninstall
    them because they don't show up in the Fonts window (even though I'm told that they are already installed). Help please!

dorcask, Dec 2, 2015
  3. mna99 Win User
    Can't connect to network after Windows 10 upgrade

Interesting. Win10 won't even recognize the card on my end. What driver did you use to get Win10 to recognize the card? Or does it do that without any driver installed?

mna99, Dec 2, 2015
  4. zooburner Win User

Not sure if this will help, but I wish you well
    [Help] Fonts suddenly missing after restart? : Windows10

zooburner, Dec 2, 2015
  5. dorcask Win User
    Thanks for this link. Going to the command prompt and editing the font registry is way beyond my skill level. And it seems to be regarding an issue when all fonts are showing up weirdly or disappeared (now that would really suck!). I'm missing just one 3rd party font, not all of them.

Any other ideas? I'd welcome any assistance! Thank you!

dorcask, Dec 2, 2015
  6. dorcask Win User
    Ok, so I got brave and went to the cmd line and looked at the font registry. The "missing" fonts are listed at the end of the registry. Here's what I copied from the registry:

StoneSansStd-Bold (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSansStd-Bold_1.otf
    StoneSansStd-BoldItalic (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSansStd-BoldItalic_0.otf
    StoneSansStd-Medium (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSansStd-Medium_0.otf
    StoneSansStd-MediumItalic (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSansStd-MediumItalic_0.otf
    StoneSansStd-Semibold (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSansStd-Semibold_0.otf
    StoneSansStd-SemiboldItalic (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSansStd-SemiboldItalic_0.otf
    StoneSerifStd-Medium (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSerifStd-Medium_0.otf
    StoneSerifStd-MediumItalic (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSerifStd-MediumItalic_0.otf
    StoneSerifStd-Semibold (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSerifStd-Semibold_0.otf
    StoneSerifStd-SemiboldIt (TrueType) REG_SZ Adobe - StoneSerifStd-SemiboldIt_0.otf

The link you sent to me (thank you for that) is regarding fonts that have an overly-long descriptor that causes the problem, and that's not the case with the my missing fonts. These fonts show up the registry, but do not show up in the control panel -> personalization -> font list! Nor are they recognized by any of the programs.

What do I need to do to get these fonts working again? I'm in the middle of a book design project and the whole book is done in Stone Sans and Stone Serif. These fonts were purchased at myfont.com so are legit fonts. Please help!

Thank you!

dorcask, Dec 2, 2015
  7. Did you manage to get any more help with this?
    I've had the same problem over the past two weeks with two machines on my network after 'upgrading' to win10.
    I have hundreds of fonts from my old XP machine that I have collected over the years. I design and make signs. I need these fonts to install and stay installed! I am now putting them back on all computers from my usb drive. Lucky I had them backed up (most of them). Win10 seems to just get rid of them every so often without warning. This will be the 4th time I have to re install fonts. Too bad if you had a large number of pc's on your network. I'm self employed and this is costing me a lot of downtime with no solution in site. Thanks MS for stuffing with the font folders. Now you seem to think it's ok to make our files disappear?

Warning to anyone who wants to move to win10 and keep their fonts. Back them up onto a usb stick. You will no doubt need to install them again when they go missing over and over. Any you download in future make sure you also add them to the stick otherwise they will be lost off your system forever if windows decides to get funky with your folders again. Now I will spend the rest of the afternoon looking for a solution. (as usual)

ausworkshop, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win10 won't recognize installed 3rd pty fonts - Similar Threads - Win10 won't recognize

2. Not Recognizing 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not Recognizing 3rd monitor: I have a docking station for Lenovo Think Pad. Recognizes a second monitor, but not the third. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-recognizing-3rd-monitor/64637abf-6441-44b0-aeb2-040bee4d8fbd
  3. Not Recognizing 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Recognizing 3rd monitor: I have a docking station for Lenovo Think Pad. Recognizes a second monitor, but not the third. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-recognizing-3rd-monitor/64637abf-6441-44b0-aeb2-040bee4d8fbd
  4. Not Recognizing 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to get Win10 & Word/PDF to recognize a font (or embed it)

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get Win10 & Word/PDF to recognize a font (or embed it): I'm trying to upload a PDF of the text of a formatted book to a printing company (Ingram). They keep rejecting the file because one critical font is not embedded. I've tried printing (from Word) to PDF. That permits you to set preferences and you can identify specific fonts...
  6. win10 reactivation won't recognize my digital license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 reactivation won't recognize my digital license: hi all I rebuilt my desktop PC with new components because everything in it was 8 years old and couldn't keep up. Before the rebuild I had a perfectly good copy of Windows 10 Pro that I got via the Win7 to Win 10 upgrade offer and it is tied to my account so the digital...
  7. Fonts missing from folder not 3rd party fonts!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fonts missing from folder not 3rd party fonts!: There are very few fonts around 140 in my fonts folder on windows. When using an office program like word - there are far more available. For example, I was using Adobe illustrator and wanted to use the 'Cooper Black' font, It wasn't in the list. I opened Word to check if it...
  8. Windows 10 not recognizing .OTF font (Helvetica Neue) and won't add to fonts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 not recognizing .OTF font (Helvetica Neue) and won't add to fonts: I'm trying to install a set of Helvetica Neue fonts, but Windows 10 doesn't seem to recognize the file format? What can I do to install OpenType font files on Windows 10?[IMG]...
  9. Cannot install fonts Win10 Pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot install fonts Win10 Pro 64bit: Since updating from Win7Pro to Win10pro, I cannot install any new fonts. I can view fonts already installed and the ones I am trying to install, but when I try to install a new font, a window flashes briefly and goes away. No error message. I've tried: right-click...
  10. Font installation problem. It won't display.

in Windows 10 Support
    Font installation problem. It won't display.: Hi, I downloaded a True-Type font that was created by a user. However, when i tried to install it, I first could not open it in Adobe Illustrator.. I think it was Illustrator. However, later, when selecting fonts used with foreign languages, I was able to use it. It seems...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 wont recognize install software

2. 3rd party fonts not in registry

3. installed fonts disappearing on win10