Windows 10: Win10CU - Refuses to open most/all MS apps through start menu search

Discus and support Win10CU - Refuses to open most/all MS apps through start menu search in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Been getting this odd behaviour as of late, where the Start Menu (Winkey, type "cmd" or whatever) won't let me launch any MS based app that it finds in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mansen, May 9, 2017.

1. Mansen Win User

Win10CU - Refuses to open most/all MS apps through start menu search

Been getting this odd behaviour as of late, where the Start Menu (Winkey, type "cmd" or whatever) won't let me launch any MS based app that it finds in searches.

I'm a lazy guy who tends to search for CMD, Paint, WFS (and so on) rather than use icons. And Search DOES find them. But nothing happens when I try to (right)click the results in the search popup whatsoever.

It'll let me run Adobe Photoshop but not Paint. *Shock

:)

Mansen, May 9, 2017

2. window's apps not working

The windows start menu, cortana and all the windows apps are not opening or working. There is no response on clicking the start menu or search menu or the notifications panel. The edge browser and the windows photos does'nt open saying "the app did'nt start
    in the required time". None of the windows store installed apps work either. I have tried most of the methods shown in the internet.

Please help!!

ravitejagolla, May 9, 2017
  3. Houlet Win User
    Limited Access to MS Apps Windows 10

I realise this question has been asked before and I have gone through and tried all the solutions on other threads that I could find to no avail.

I upgraded to Windows 10 from W 8.1 and for about six weeks all was OK. Then one day I found that I no longer had access to the Store, and in fact most MS Apps which tell me that I do not have access to the internet. Google Chrome, Firefox and all my other
    programmes seem to work fine but not Edge.

In fact the info on the Tiles like News and Weather in the Start Menu is updating itself but they still refuse to get me access.

My MS account wants me to verify but then tells me I am not connected so that is impossible.

Houlet, May 9, 2017
Thema:

Win10CU - Refuses to open most/all MS apps through start menu search

1. Win10CU - Refuses to open most/all MS apps through start menu search - Similar Threads - Win10CU Refuses open

2. Start menu not opening at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not opening at all: I just recently reset my whole pc and ever since the fresh start, my start menu doesn't show up.I'll click the windows key, on my keyboard and nothing comes up. I try and type on my desktop to search my computer and that doesn't show up either. I've already restarted both my...
  3. Start menu not opening at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not opening at all: I just recently reset my whole pc and ever since the fresh start, my start menu doesn't show up.I'll click the windows key, on my keyboard and nothing comes up. I try and type on my desktop to search my computer and that doesn't show up either. I've already restarted both my...
  4. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Cortana
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  5. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  6. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Most preinstalled UWP app icons don't show up in the Start Menu's 'All Apps' and the Search...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Most preinstalled UWP app icons don't show up in the Start Menu's 'All Apps' and the Search...: I installed an app from Microsoft Store called 'Cartoon Photo Filters — CoolArt'. After that, all the preinstalled UWP app icons stopped showing up in the Start Menu's 'All Apps' and the Search bar. Some apps recovered, like Alarms & Clocks, Calendar, and Camera. Also, non...
  8. Most stock Store apps displayed as "ms-resource:AppName" in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Most stock Store apps displayed as "ms-resource:AppName" in start menu: For many months now, I noticed that the standard windows Calculator app, which I use often, no longer was displayed as "Calculator" in the start menu, but as "ms-resource:AppName". It didn't bother me too much since I could still type "calc" or rather, the German equivalent...
  9. Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms: I use the start menu search for opening up apps instead of having a bloated task bar but at some point Windows 10 stopped working showing results properly for everything. E.g. when I updated MS office, windows button + type away for example "word" will show the not even...
  10. Start Menu Refusing To Open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Refusing To Open: This issue has happened twice already and required a full restart to fix. I'll attempt to open the Start Menu, by clicking it or pressing the Windows key, and it will refuse to open. In restarting Windows Explorer, the issue still persists. Considering I'm heavily reliant on...