Windows 10: Win7 needs a repair: okay to just upgrade to 10, instead?

Discus and support Win7 needs a repair: okay to just upgrade to 10, instead? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Win7/home is borked. Sfc /scannow is in an incomplete loop. A windows update is also jammed. (Shows 51% at reboot and then disappears). Instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamc3k, Feb 14, 2016.

1. iamc3k Win User

Win7 needs a repair: okay to just upgrade to 10, instead?

My Win7/home is borked. Sfc /scannow is in an incomplete loop. A windows update is also jammed. (Shows 51% at reboot and then disappears). Instead of going through (another) repair install, I'd just as soon just do a win10 upgrade.

would I introduce errors by upgrading over a bad win7 install?

Thanks. (Any typos due to stupid iPad typing autocorrect and no backspace or delete. Thats why pic wins.)

:)

iamc3k, Feb 14, 2016

2. Rotation Lock button is gone from Action Center

I don't when it starts to happen since I am using my tab like a desktop most of the time. Couple weeks ago I started finding my Acer tab Switch SA5-271 cannot rotate the screen at all.

Trying to enable it from Action Center but the button is gone.

I also tried to look for it in the Display setting, the switch button is also gone under the Landscape Orientation.

I looked for it from "Notifications & actions" setting to try to add the button back to Action Center, the Rotation On/Off switch is not available.

So I started to find the latest update from Acer and Microsoft, it is now with everything up to date but it is still no helping. No auto screen rotation at all.

Does any have the same issue and know how to solve it?

Thanks,

Raymond

upgrade vista to win7, Feb 14, 2016
  3. Rotation Lock button is gone from Action Center

By the way, Acer seems not doing good on their products. This is my second one from Acer, I have a Predator 8 tablet and the same it has problem that need to be brought back to manufacture repair within one year. Lucky that was still warranty. To me that
    it is 100% chance product will fail. I would never touch any Acer product again!!!

upgrade vista to win7, Feb 14, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

What do you mean by incomplete loop when running system file checker ? How did you do a repair install, used Windows 7 media disc ?
    Upgrading may introduce more issues especially unable to download updates. How about a clean install of Windows 10 or clean install Windows 7 and then upgrade.

jds63, Feb 14, 2016
  5. iamc3k Win User
    Clean install is such a pain.

the win7 sfc/scannow says unable to start due to a prior instance of it (or awaitning a reboot for the repair to take effect). I've rebooted many times...even in safe mode. Each time sfc/scannow will nbot run.

the update beavior is odd. My update history shows no updates. This win7 was a clean install about a year ago. Sfc ran fine a few months back.

wiping out all my installed apps because some os instability got introduced is...sub-optimal.

iamc3k, Feb 14, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Feb 15, 2016
  7. iamc3k Win User
    Thanks! It will be a few days. Traveling...hence the ipad pecking. Ill reply to this thread with results, pro or con.

iamc3k, Feb 15, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

Welcome, would not want you to try a upgrade until this is resolved or do a clean install of Windows 10 as of yet.

jds63, Feb 15, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Don't! Upgrading a borked system is never a good idea, and it will probably end up as a rollback anyway - a waste of time.

If you can do a little maintenance and clear enough contiguous space to make an empty 20 GB partition (x86 - 30GB for x64 iirc) - you could do a clean side by side install (i.e. dual boot), knock it into the shape you want as you transfer your stuff from Windows 7, and install up to date utilities etc. and organize your favourite stuff for the new system, before wiping the Old Windows, or reinstalling it over the Windows 10 if you find you hate it too much to live with it yet.

Fafhrd, Feb 15, 2016
  10. iamc3k Win User
    Win7 repair install (from sevenforums) got it fixed. The endless updates were fun. Not. Right now, the only issue is I can't get my SSD/win7/bios to all agree on ahci. Once that's done, it'll be time to go to Win10.

iamc3k, Feb 21, 2016
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Just remember to make an image backup of Win 7 before you upgrade to Win 10.

Ztruker, Feb 21, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    Usually AHCI Mode is done before install in BIOS, try this tutorial and also make sure you get the updated AHCI Controller drivers from the motherboards manufacturer's site. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win7 needs a repair: okay to just upgrade to 10, instead? - Similar Threads - Win7 needs repair

2. i need to upgrade from my home win7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need to upgrade from my home win7: how does an upgrade work? ive been unlucky with the online links and scammers. can you seriously help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-upgrade-from-my-home-win7/0955a5f9-4b4a-4e73-834a-23a8fccfb226
  3. i need to upgrade from my home win7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need to upgrade from my home win7: how does an upgrade work? ive been unlucky with the online links and scammers. can you seriously help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-upgrade-from-my-home-win7/0955a5f9-4b4a-4e73-834a-23a8fccfb226
  4. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  5. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  6. Upgraded to Win 10 Pro, but laptop needs repairs

Upgraded to Win 10 Pro, but laptop needs repairs: With several hours of troubleshooting with no home remedy to my laptop issue, I may have to return the laptop not even 1 month of use. Can I refund the Windows 10 Upgrade I just did to this laptop? Or can I reuse the license when I get the new laptop, and upgrade the OS...
  7. Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have had my desktop upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. I cannot connect to the internet now. I use Satellite NBN. Also use a wireless router for the laptop. Laptop connects fine also running W10 I have direct connected to BB modem with ethernet cable shows...
  8. Recovery Partition Upgraded when Upgrading from Win7? Or just delete.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Partition Upgraded when Upgrading from Win7? Or just delete.: Two questions: 1. My Lenovo T520 had some type of recovery partition on Windows 7 pro when I bought it as a refurbished from IBM. Not original OEM. Never had need to use it. When Windows 7 is upgraded to Windows 10, does the recovery partition also get upgraded? 2. If I...
  9. Just upgraded from Win7 to 10, strange audio issues.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Just upgraded from Win7 to 10, strange audio issues.: So I used a speaker and a headset, one for normal use and one for chatting with my mates. Because I didn't want the hassle of replugging it in everytime I want to use it, I got an audio splitter and plugged both in. Worked like a charm. Then today, for fear of the...
  10. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...